Old 06-02-2011, 02:13 PM
GeeKer Wang

Default Preupgrade fc14 to fc15 failed, kernel is not installed

Hello, guys,
*** I used preupgrade to upgrade* fc14 to fc15, and everything seemed fine. But when I reboot, I just find that kernel-fc15 is not installed.

There are no vmlinuz-xxx.fc15.i686 and initramfs-xxxx-fc15.i686.img in /boot, no entry about fc-15 written in grub.conf, and nothing related to fc15 is found in /lib/modules.

I just try to download kernel and install it manually. But I don't know whether there are any other packages forgotten.
--
Bob

Old 06-02-2011, 08:41 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

On 06/02/2011 10:13 AM, GeeKer Wang wrote:
> Hello, guys,
> I used preupgrade to upgrade fc14 to fc15, and everything seemed
> fine. But when I reboot, I just find that kernel-fc15 is not installed.

I can't tell from what you written above, but, pre-upgrade is a multi
step process. Here are the steps in a nut-shell:

1) run preupgrade and have it download packages to a local repository on
your machine. It should also modify your /etc/grub.conf file to add an
entry which will continue the upgrade in step 2. When this step
completes, it should ask you to reboot your computer.

2) when you reboot, it should automatically select the F15 upgrade entry
and boot into the second stage installer and start installing the
downloaded packages on to your system. This is the step that fails for
many people. Places to look for problems are in /etc/grub.conf and in
/boot/upgrade/. In the latter you should have at least 3 files:
initrd.img, ks.cfg, and vmlinuz. If not, something else has gone wrong
for you to look into. If everything goes right, when the packages are
finished installing (and yet another change is made to your
/etc/grub.conf file), the system will reboot yet again....

3) The final reboot will run a script called firstboot which should
clean up from the upgrade process, and remove the old kernel versions
from your system. It will also check to make sure that any new packages
are configured properly (or prompt you for their configuration)
so that F15 will run correctly for you upon subsequent reboots. If you
get this far, preupgrade has done its job correctly and you should be
all set.

> There are no vmlinuz-xxx.fc15.i686 and initramfs-xxxx-fc15.i686.img in
> /boot, no entry about fc-15 written in grub.conf, and nothing related to
> fc15 is found in /lib/modules.
>
> I just try to download kernel and install it manually. But I don't know
> whether there are any other packages forgotten.

What does "rpm -qa | grep fc15" tell you? (there should be *lots* of hits).

If it can't find any fc15 packages installed, you haven't upgraded yet.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com

Old 06-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Joe Zeff

On 06/02/2011 01:41 PM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> I can't tell from what you written above, but, pre-upgrade is a multi
> step process. Here are the steps in a nut-shell:

0) Install preupgrade using yum or yumex if you haven't ever used it
before. (AFAIK it's not part of the default install.)

2.5) Before rebooting, check grub.conf (You can find it in /etc or in
/boot because the first one is only a link to the other.) and make sure
it's been properly modified.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:00 AM
GeeKer Wang

Hello, Kevin

I can't enter my system now, however,* I check the upgraded system using livecd.
After login in my system by chroot in livecd, by checking "rpm -qa |grep fc15 ",* I am sure that many fc15 packages have installed.

And all the 3 steps you mentioned have passed, which takes a couple of hours. So at least most fc15 packages have installed.

I just found a empty upgrade directory in /boot, and nothing related to fc15 there. I guess preupgrade must forget to install kernel.

So what I should do to rescue it is to upgrade/install kernel in chroot environment. But I don't know how to upgrade* kernel with a kernel RPM file. Any advice?

Old 06-03-2011, 01:29 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

On 06/02/2011 09:00 PM, GeeKer Wang wrote:
> Hello, Kevin
>
> I can't enter my system now, however, I check the upgraded system using
> livecd.
> After login in my system by chroot in livecd, by checking "rpm -qa |grep
> fc15 ", I am sure that many fc15 packages have installed.
> And all the 3 steps you mentioned have passed, which takes a couple of
> hours. So at least most fc15 packages have installed.

OK, so while looking at the live system chrooted to your system, what is
the response to:

rpm -q kernel

Let's find out if the proper kernel got installed. If so, then we'll
have a look at your /etc/grub.conf (which is just a symlink to:
/boot/grub/grub.conf). And then we'll try and figure out how to install
it by running grubby by hand....

> I just found a empty upgrade directory in /boot, and nothing related to
> fc15 there. I guess preupgrade must forget to install kernel.

Not likely, though its possible in some bizarre set of circumstances.

Are you 100% sure that preupgrade didn't stop prematurely with some sort
of error message?

> So what I should do to rescue it is to upgrade/install kernel in chroot
> environment. But I don't know how to upgrade kernel with a kernel RPM
> file. Any advice?

Let's find out if it got installed first. If it did, and it didn't
install an entry in the grub menu, then it was a script-let of the
kernel RPM which errored.

If it did not get installed, it should be easy enough to install one by
hand (with RPM) and see if it installs without any errors (and correctly
modifies your /etc/grub.conf file). If it requires dependencies to
install, then you will have other problems.

What I've ended up doing in circumstances like these is to plow ahead
and continue the upgrade in pieces, by hand after ensuring that:

0) I have read the Fedora release notes for the version I am
installing, looking for gotcha's that I may have tripped over!

1) I have a proper kernel installed and working (bootable), and the
fedora-release RPM is the proper version and architecture.

2) yum and rpm (and all of their dependants) are up-to-date.

3) my network is up and running so I can do (yum) updates over the network.

4) essentially finish the upgrade by updating all of the remaining
out-of-date RPMs on the system. Yes, you could try and continue from
that point with "yum -y update", but you would most likely need to do it
in pieces (to get around all of the broken packages) and also use the
--skip-broken option to yum. I like to try it alphabetically (ie yum -y
update a*), but usually end up breaking down each leading letter looking
for packages that update nicely, and then figure out what's wrong with
the packages that don't. This is not a quick and easy process. I've
sometimes spent weeks cleaning up my server or my laptop from a failed
upgrade in this fashion, but, in the end, my system has been upgraded,
and not re-installed (for some reason, an updated system seems to me to
be less likely to have some necessary local configuration lost than an
installed update, but, I could be wrong). In the end, I learn a *lot*
about Fedora, how it works (and how it sometimes doesn't work B^), and
how to fix it.

What doesn't work in this process is if some new set of packages
obsoletes an installed set of packages, this method may not properly
install the new set of packages. That's ultimately because Anaconda
failed during preupgrade, but didn't leave a sufficient amount of
information to properly fix the upgrade.

If you are not able to install/boot a proper f15 kernel, let us know,
there are ways (even more nefarious that a "yum upgrade") to update your
system piecemeal, even from an f14 kernel....

Old 06-03-2011, 01:31 AM
GeeKer Wang

When I tried "rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.38.6-27.fc15.i686" in chroot environment,
it complains "
grubby fatal error: unable to
find a suitable template".

I guess preupgrade get the same problem and just skip the kernel install.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:31 AM
GeeKer Wang

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Kevin J. Cummings <cummings@kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:

On 06/02/2011 09:00 PM, GeeKer Wang wrote:

> Hello, Kevin

> I can't enter my system now, however, *I check the upgraded system using

> livecd.

> After login in my system by chroot in livecd, by checking "rpm -qa |grep

> fc15 ", *I am sure that many fc15 packages have installed.

> And all the 3 steps you mentioned have passed, which takes a couple of

> hours. So at least most fc15 packages have installed.

OK, so while looking at the live system chrooted to your system, what is

the response to:

rpm -q kernel

Let's find out if the proper kernel got installed. *If so, then we'll

have a look at your /etc/grub.conf (which is just a symlink to:

/boot/grub/grub.conf). *And then we'll try and figure out how to install

it by running grubby by hand....

There is no fc15 kernel, only
*** kernel-2.6.35.12-88.fc14.i686
*** kernel-2.6.35.12-90.fc14.i686
*** kernel-2.6.35.13-91.fc14.i686

> I just found a empty upgrade directory in /boot, and nothing related to

> fc15 there. I guess preupgrade must forget to install kernel.

Not likely, though its possible in some bizarre set of circumstances.

Are you 100% sure that preupgrade didn't stop prematurely with some sort

of error message?

It halted halfway because of installing openjpeg-devel. I renamed* related files and preupgrade continued without other problem.

> So what I should do to rescue it is to upgrade/install kernel in chroot

> environment. But I don't know how to upgrade *kernel with a kernel RPM

> file. Any advice?

Let's find out if it got installed first. *If it did, and it didn't

install an entry in the grub menu, then it was a script-let of the

kernel RPM which errored.

If it did not get installed, it should be easy enough to install one by

hand (with RPM) and see if it installs without any errors (and correctly

modifies your /etc/grub.conf file). *If it requires dependencies to

install, then you will have other problems.

*When I tried "rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.38.6-fc15.i686.rpm", it failed with "grubby
fatal error: unable to
find a suitable template". But it created some files(eg.
vmlinuz-xxx-fc15, initramfs-xxx.img) in /boot and /lib/modules. However,
grub-install didn't recognize these files.
*

Old 06-03-2011, 02:59 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

On 06/02/2011 10:31 PM, GeeKer Wang wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Kevin J. Cummings
> <cummings@kjchome.homeip.net <mailto:cummings@kjchome.homeip.net>> wrote:
> OK, so while looking at the live system chrooted to your system, what is
> the response to:
>
> rpm -q kernel
>
> Let's find out if the proper kernel got installed. If so, then we'll
> have a look at your /etc/grub.conf (which is just a symlink to:
> /boot/grub/grub.conf). And then we'll try and figure out how to install
> it by running grubby by hand....
>
> There is no fc15 kernel, only
> kernel-2.6.35.12-88.fc14.i686
> kernel-2.6.35.12-90.fc14.i686
> kernel-2.6.35.13-91.fc14.i686

OK, so the f15 kernel never got installed. That would bring into
question a whole raft of other potential problems that you will probably
need to clean uop from as well....

> Are you 100% sure that preupgrade didn't stop prematurely with some sort
> of error message?
>
> It halted halfway because of installing openjpeg-devel. I renamed
> related files and preupgrade continued without other problem.

Except that it seemed to miss installing the kernel....

> If it did not get installed, it should be easy enough to install one by
> hand (with RPM) and see if it installs without any errors (and correctly
> modifies your /etc/grub.conf file). If it requires dependencies to
> install, then you will have other problems.
>
> When I tried "rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.38.6-fc15.i686.rpm", it failed with
> "grubby fatal error: unable to find a suitable template". But it created
> some files(eg. vmlinuz-xxx-fc15, initramfs-xxx.img) in /boot and
> /lib/modules. However, grub-install didn't recognize these files.

We can always add the proper lines to /etc/grub.conf by hand if we have
to....

What is the contents of your current /etc/grub.conf file?
What and where are the f15 kernel files?
(you are looking for at least a vmlinuz- file and possibly
an initramfs- file and possibly a System.map- file as well)

I have the following on my botched f15 upgrade:

/boot
config-2.6.35.12-90.fc14.i686 efi
initramfs-2.6.35.12-90.fc14.i686.img initrd-plymouth.img
System.map-2.6.35.13-91.fc14.i686 vmlinuz-2.6.35.12-90.fc14.i686
config-2.6.35.13-91.fc14.i686 elf-memtest86+-4.10
initramfs-2.6.35.13-91.fc14.i686.img memtest86+-4.10
System.map-2.6.38.6-27.fc15.i686 vmlinuz-2.6.35.13-91.fc14.i686
config-2.6.38.6-27.fc15.i686 grub
initramfs-2.6.38.6-27.fc15.i686.img System.map-2.6.35.12-90.fc14.i686
upgrade vmlinuz-2.6.38.6-27.fc15.i686

and my grub.conf contains this entry for f15 (which boots for me):

title Fedora (2.6.38.6-27.fc15.i686)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38.6-27.fc15.i686 ro
root=UUID=f3299b81-9fc4-46eb-9189-a79591e894a1 rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_LVM
rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM vga=0x123 LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16
KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us noiswmd
initrd /boot/initramfs-2.6.38.6-27.fc15.i686.img

You will need to change the UUID to match your disk, and whether or not
you need all of the boot options that I have, you can compare to your
f14 kernel entries in your grub.conf file. All of the options on my f15
kernel line appear verbatim on my f14 kernel lines. And my test system
is currently booted in f15 (or some subset of it. B^)

Old 06-03-2011, 03:08 AM
GeeKer Wang

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Kevin J. Cummings <cummings@kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:

> [...]

*upgrade * * * * * * * * * * * * * *vmlinuz-2.6.38.6-27.fc15.i686

and my grub.conf contains this entry for f15 (which boots for me):

title Fedora (2.6.38.6-27.fc15.i686)

* * * *root (hd0,0)

* * * *kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38.6-27.fc15.i686 ro

root=UUID=f3299b81-9fc4-46eb-9189-a79591e894a1 rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_LVM

rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM vga=0x123 LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16

KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us noiswmd

* * * *initrd /boot/initramfs-2.6.38.6-27.fc15.i686.img

You will need to change the UUID to match your disk, and whether or not

you need all of the boot options that I have, you can compare to your

f14 kernel entries in your grub.conf file. *All of the options on my f15

kernel line appear verbatim on my f14 kernel lines. *And my test system

is currently booted in f15 (or some subset of it. *B^)

I have these files in /boot, and I tried to revise entry in grub.conf. Unfortunately, It complains cannot find /proc/cmdline when booting...

Old 06-03-2011, 04:55 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

On 06/02/2011 11:08 PM, GeeKer Wang wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Kevin J. Cummings
> <cummings@kjchome.homeip.net <mailto:cummings@kjchome.homeip.net>> wrote:
> I have the following on my botched f15 upgrade:
>
> /boot
> config-2.6.35.12-90.fc14.i686 efi
> initramfs-2.6.35.12-90.fc14.i686.img initrd-plymouth.img
> System.map-2.6.35.13-91.fc14.i686 vmlinuz-2.6.35.12-90.fc14.i686
> config-2.6.35.13-91.fc14.i686 elf-memtest86+-4.10
> initramfs-2.6.35.13-91.fc14.i686.img memtest86+-4.10
> System.map-2.6.38.6-27.fc15.i686 vmlinuz-2.6.35.13-91.fc14.i686
> config-2.6.38.6-27.fc15.i686 grub
> initramfs-2.6.38.6-27.fc15.i686.img System.map-2.6.35.12-90.fc14.i686
> upgrade vmlinuz-2.6.38.6-27.fc15.i686
>
> and my grub.conf contains this entry for f15 (which boots for me):
>
> title Fedora (2.6.38.6-27.fc15.i686)
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38.6-27.fc15.i686 ro
> root=UUID=f3299b81-9fc4-46eb-9189-a79591e894a1 rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_LVM
> rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM vga=0x123 LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16
> KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us noiswmd
> initrd /boot/initramfs-2.6.38.6-27.fc15.i686.img

I hate wrapping in email programs! Everything on your kernel line
appears on ONE LINE, right? Not wrapped as it appears above?

> You will need to change the UUID to match your disk, and whether or not
> you need all of the boot options that I have, you can compare to your
> f14 kernel entries in your grub.conf file. All of the options on my f15
> kernel line appear verbatim on my f14 kernel lines. And my test system
> is currently booted in f15 (or some subset of it. B^)
>
> I have these files in /boot, and I tried to revise entry in grub.conf.
> Unfortunately, It complains cannot find /proc/cmdline when booting...

Exact error message please.

The /proc filesystem doesn't get mounted until sometime after the booted
kernel gets running. Why is there a reference to it when booting.
Originally I thought it might be some reference in your initramfs image,
but now I'm not so sure.

Exactly when does this message occur? Have you removed the "quiet" and
"rhgb" options from your kernel line in grub? Its nice to know exactly
what's going on during the boot process when messages like that appear.
How far into the kernel boot process do you actually get?

Please describe in great detail. B^) Ideally I'd like to be there next
to you so I can see for myself. The next best thing would be to capture
it in video and post a link to the .mpg file. Its not more than a few
seconds long, right? B^) B^)