Old 06-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Alexander Volovics

Default Gnome shell and NVidia binary drivers

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 02:17:11PM +0300, Pasha R wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Alexander Volovics <a.volovic@upcmail.nl> wrote:

> > So can their be some kind of conflict between the nvidia drivers and
> > the gnome 3 shell. Is it possible that selinux is involved in this
> > somehow.
> >
> > I really would like to solve this because I have wasted enough time
> > trying to get this working. Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Alexander

> I installed the akmod-nvidia, and now also ran dracut --force to
> recreate initramfs (and, obviously, rebooted). It doesn't help. I
> installed KDE and it works, so, I guess drivers are working.

I don't doubt that the drivers work.
I had previously installed ubuntu 11.04 on this same pc and
installed the same nvidia drivers. They worked ok there.
(But I didn't like unity so I removed ubuntu and installed fed 15)

Knowing that the drivers should work is hardly comforting when they
refuse to work with fed15/gnome3.

I hope somebody comes with a suggestion or I will be forced to
install KDE (which I don't like but at least you do not need to
install the nvidia drivers because nouveau works quite well) or
Xfce (which I don't like either and which has some bugs/shortcomings)

Alexander

Old 06-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Daniel J Walsh

Old 06-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Richard Shaw

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 5:16 AM, Alexander Volovics <a.volovic@upcmail.nl> wrote:
> 1) The rpmfusion (kmod or akmod) install does not get rid of the nouveau
> * kernel modules as expected. You MUST run dracut to create a new
> * initramfs file before rebooting. Only then are the nouveau modules
> * unloaded.

Well, yes and no. It's true that installing the kmod or akmod does not
run dracut for you but it should add "rdblacklist=nouveau" to the
kernel line in your grub.conf which should effectively stop nouveau
from loading unless that kernel option is broken in F15.

If rdblacklist is there (and still functional) then that would explain
why running dracut didn't help.

Richard

Old 06-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Pasha R

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 3:57 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 5:16 AM, Alexander Volovics <a.volovic@upcmail.nl> wrote:
>> 1) The rpmfusion (kmod or akmod) install does not get rid of the nouveau
>> * kernel modules as expected. You MUST run dracut to create a new
>> * initramfs file before rebooting. Only then are the nouveau modules
>> * unloaded.
>
> Well, yes and no. It's true that installing the kmod or akmod does not
> run dracut for you but it should add "rdblacklist=nouveau" to the
> kernel line in your grub.conf which should effectively stop nouveau
> from loading unless that kernel option is broken in F15.
>
> If rdblacklist is there (and still functional) then that would explain
> why running dracut didn't help.

If I understand correctly, nouveau driver prevents nvidia driver from
loaded, and X works fine (in KDE). The problem happens only in Gnome
3.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Alexander Volovics

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 08:56:37AM -0400, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

> >> I installed the akmod-nvidia, and now also ran dracut --force to
> >> recreate initramfs (and, obviously, rebooted). It doesn't help. I
> >> installed KDE and it works, so, I guess drivers are working.
> >
> > I don't doubt that the drivers work.
> > I had previously installed ubuntu 11.04 on this same pc and
> > installed the same nvidia drivers. They worked ok there.
> > (But I didn't like unity so I removed ubuntu and installed fed 15)
> >
> > Knowing that the drivers should work is hardly comforting when they
> > refuse to work with fed15/gnome3.
> >
> > I hope somebody comes with a suggestion or I will be forced to
> > install KDE (which I don't like but at least you do not need to
> > install the nvidia drivers because nouveau works quite well) or
> > Xfce (which I don't like either and which has some bugs/shortcomings)

> Put the machine in permissive mode and see if SELinux is blocking it.
>
> setenforce 0

I had already tried this. Does not make any difference.
I also tried changing the label on 'nvidiactl' as mentioned in
Bugzilla (694918). No effect either.

Alexander

Old 06-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Alexander Volovics

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 07:57:30AM -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 5:16 AM, Alexander Volovics <a.volovic@upcmail.nl> wrote:
> > 1) The rpmfusion (kmod or akmod) install does not get rid of the nouveau
> > * kernel modules as expected. You MUST run dracut to create a new
> > * initramfs file before rebooting. Only then are the nouveau modules
> > * unloaded.
>
> Well, yes and no. It's true that installing the kmod or akmod does not
> run dracut for you but it should add "rdblacklist=nouveau" to the
> kernel line in your grub.conf which should effectively stop nouveau
> from loading unless that kernel option is broken in F15.
>
> If rdblacklist is there (and still functional) then that would explain
> why running dracut didn't help.

The first time after rebooting I did of course not run dracut!

The akmod/kmod install had indeed modified
grub.conf to include: "rdblacklist=nouveau nouveau.modeset=0"
(I checked before rebooting).
But this did NOT stop nouveau from loading.
lsmod showed nouveau and nvidia sitting brotherly together in the kernel.

Only then did I run dracut which indeed removed the nouveau modules.

Could this indicate that this kernel option is broken (and should
I bugzilla it)

Alexander

Old 06-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Genes MailLists