Old 06-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Joachim Backes

Default bash command not found

On 06/02/2011 11:30 AM, Eric Tanguy wrote:

Le 02/06/2011 11:25, Joachim Backes a écrit :

On 06/02/2011 11:19 AM, Eric Tanguy wrote:

In fedora14 in cli if i try an unknown command the system tried to find
the package containing this command.
This seems to not work in f15.
# telnet
bash: telnet: command not found...

and that's all. The system does not propose to install telnet client
package.
Is this normal ?

Thanks
Eric

Install

PackageKit-command-not-found

PackageKit-command-not-found-0.6.14-2.fc15.x86_64 already installed but
does not seem to work.

Hi Eric,

after uninstalling "telnet" and typing "telnet somehost" inside of a
gnome-terminal, I get:

telnet somehost
bash: telnet: command not found...
Install package 'telnet' to provide command 'telnet'? [N/y

Answering with "yes" will install the telnet package, and the telnet cmd
is started.

http://www.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~backes

Old 06-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Eric Tanguy

Le 02/06/2011 11:36, Joachim Backes a écrit :
> On 06/02/2011 11:30 AM, Eric Tanguy wrote:

>>> Install
>>>
>>> PackageKit-command-not-found
>>>
>> PackageKit-command-not-found-0.6.14-2.fc15.x86_64 already installed but
>> does not seem to work.
>>

> Hi Eric,
>
> after uninstalling "telnet" and typing "telnet somehost" inside of a
> gnome-terminal, I get:
>
> telnet somehost
> bash: telnet: command not found...
> Install package 'telnet' to provide command 'telnet'? [N/y
>
> Answering with "yes" will install the telnet package, and the telnet
> cmd is started.

I tried uninstall and reinstall PackageKit-command-not-found with the
same result.
Maybe a x86_64 problem ?
Eric

Old 06-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 11:43:19 +0200, ET wrote:

> I tried uninstall and reinstall PackageKit-command-not-found with the
> same result.
> Maybe a x86_64 problem ?

No. Don't just reinstall a package if it isn't broken.
Try to examine the problem a bit. Everything's there for
you to look at.

$ rpm -ql PackageKit-command-not-found
/etc/PackageKit/CommandNotFound.conf
/etc/profile.d/PackageKit.sh
/usr/libexec/pk-command-not-found

Look at /etc/profile.d/PackageKit.sh and try to find out
whether it is run and where it terminates.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Chris Tyler

On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 11:43 +0200, Eric Tanguy wrote:
> I tried uninstall and reinstall PackageKit-command-not-found with the
> same result.
> Maybe a x86_64 problem ?
> Eric

Two observations:

- If Packagekit-command-not-found is active, the error message seems to
change from:

bash: thunderbird: command not found

to:

bash: thunderbird: command not found...

(Note the "...")

- If pk-c-n-f times out on fetching file list metadata, it seems to
silently stop trying to suggest packages. I've seen this on slow
connections and disconnected machines. IIRC, fetching recent metadata
(e.g., by using yum to find a file-level dependency) restores pk-c-n-f's
operation.

--
Chris

Old 06-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Richard Hughes

On 2 June 2011 12:35, Chris Tyler <chris@tylers.info> wrote:
> - If pk-c-n-f times out on fetching file list metadata, it seems to
> silently stop trying to suggest packages. I've seen this on slow
> connections and disconnected machines. IIRC, fetching recent metadata
> (e.g., by using yum to find a file-level dependency) restores pk-c-n-f's
> operation.

This is by design. I lost count of the number of bugs opened against
PackageKit-command-not-found where yum would happily go and download
the latest metadata and take 3 minutes to return to the bash prompt,
even when yum is told to work from a cache.

If you want the old behaviour back, just up the timeout in
/etc/PackageKit/CommandNotFound.conf

# Controls how long we should allow the user to wait when searching for
# additional packages.
# This can be set to very small numbers to avoid distracting the user, although
# some entries may not be found if the caches need refreshing or metadata
# downloading.
#
# Value is the number of milliseconds to allow.
#
# default=2000
MaxSearchTime=2000

Richard

Old 06-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Chris Tyler

On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 12:39 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 2 June 2011 12:35, Chris Tyler <chris@tylers.info> wrote:
> > - If pk-c-n-f times out on fetching file list metadata, it seems to
> > silently stop trying to suggest packages. I've seen this on slow
> > connections and disconnected machines. IIRC, fetching recent metadata
> > (e.g., by using yum to find a file-level dependency) restores pk-c-n-f's
> > operation.
>
> This is by design. I lost count of the number of bugs opened against
> PackageKit-command-not-found where yum would happily go and download
> the latest metadata and take 3 minutes to return to the bash prompt,
> even when yum is told to work from a cache.

Just to be clear: I think that's the right way of operating :-)

-Chris

Old 06-02-2011, 01:30 PM
Eric Tanguy

Le 02/06/2011 13:12, Michael Schwendt a écrit :
> On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 11:43:19 +0200, ET wrote:
>
>> I tried uninstall and reinstall PackageKit-command-not-found with the
>> same result.
>> Maybe a x86_64 problem ?
> No. Don't just reinstall a package if it isn't broken.
> Try to examine the problem a bit. Everything's there for
> you to look at.
>
> $ rpm -ql PackageKit-command-not-found
> /etc/PackageKit/CommandNotFound.conf
> /etc/profile.d/PackageKit.sh
> /usr/libexec/pk-command-not-found
>
> Look at /etc/profile.d/PackageKit.sh and try to find out
> whether it is run and where it terminates.
I did nothing special and now it works ...
I don't understand!
Thanks
Eric

Old 06-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Eric Tanguy

Le 02/06/2011 15:30, Eric Tanguy a écrit :
> Le 02/06/2011 13:12, Michael Schwendt a écrit :
>> On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 11:43:19 +0200, ET wrote:
>>
>>> I tried uninstall and reinstall PackageKit-command-not-found with the
>>> same result.
>>> Maybe a x86_64 problem ?
>> No. Don't just reinstall a package if it isn't broken.
>> Try to examine the problem a bit. Everything's there for
>> you to look at.
>>
>> $ rpm -ql PackageKit-command-not-found
>> /etc/PackageKit/CommandNotFound.conf
>> /etc/profile.d/PackageKit.sh
>> /usr/libexec/pk-command-not-found
>>
>> Look at /etc/profile.d/PackageKit.sh and try to find out
>> whether it is run and where it terminates.
> I did nothing special and now it works ...
> I don't understand!
> Thanks
> Eric

In fact it's not stable.
Sometimes
$ ftp
bash: ftp: commande inconnue...
Voulez-vous installer le paquet « ftp » qui fournit la commande
« ftp » ? [N/y]

And sometimes
$ ftp
bash: ftp: commande inconnue...

How to find where the problem could come from ?
Eric

Old 06-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 16:09 +0200, Eric Tanguy wrote:
> Le 02/06/2011 15:30, Eric Tanguy a écrit :

> >> No. Don't just reinstall a package if it isn't broken.
> >> Try to examine the problem a bit. Everything's there for
> >> you to look at.
> >>
> >> $ rpm -ql PackageKit-command-not-found
> >> /etc/PackageKit/CommandNotFound.conf
> >> /etc/profile.d/PackageKit.sh
> >> /usr/libexec/pk-command-not-found
> >>
> >> Look at /etc/profile.d/PackageKit.sh and try to find out
> >> whether it is run and where it terminates.
> > I did nothing special and now it works ...
> > I don't understand!
> > Thanks
> > Eric
> >
> In fact it's not stable.
> Sometimes
> $ ftp
> bash: ftp: commande inconnue...
> Voulez-vous installer le paquet « ftp » qui fournit la commande
> « ftp » ? [N/y]
>
> And sometimes
> $ ftp
> bash: ftp: commande inconnue...
>
> How to find where the problem could come from ?

This could well be simply a matter of adjusting the timeout, i.e. the
behaviour depends on the current speed of your network.

(Personally I think this level of "helpfulness" is totally out of place
in a Shell, so I fixed it by uninstalling PackageKit-command-not-found).

poc

Old 06-06-2011, 02:57 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 06/02/2011 05:19 PM, Chris Tyler wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 12:39 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
>>
>> This is by design. I lost count of the number of bugs opened against
>> PackageKit-command-not-found where yum would happily go and download
>> the latest metadata and take 3 minutes to return to the bash prompt,
>> even when yum is told to work from a cache.
> Just to be clear: I think that's the right way of operating :-)

It really isn't. It is just a workaround that produces inconsistent
behaviour for reasons that are not clear or documented. The right fix
would be to find out why yum doesn't work off the cache when told to and
solve that problem but this workaround is better than previous behaviour

Rahul