Old 06-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Ed Greshko

Default vnc and gnome3

On 06/02/2011 04:30 PM, Eric Tanguy wrote:
> I tried to enable vnc viewing of my gnome3 session. I enabled the
> options in vino-preferences with the network autoconfiguration option
> but when i try to connect with a vnc client from my winxp laptop it does
> not work.
> Any idea ?

Did you open the necessary ports in the firewall?

Old 06-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Eric Tanguy

Le 02/06/2011 10:31, Ed Greshko a écrit :
> On 06/02/2011 04:30 PM, Eric Tanguy wrote:
>> I tried to enable vnc viewing of my gnome3 session. I enabled the
>> options in vino-preferences with the network autoconfiguration option
>> but when i try to connect with a vnc client from my winxp laptop it does
>> not work.
>> Any idea ?
>>
> Did you open the necessary ports in the firewall?

To test i have disabled the firewall with the same result.
Eric

Old 06-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Ed Greshko

On 06/02/2011 04:35 PM, Eric Tanguy wrote:
> To test i have disabled the firewall with the same result.

Personally, I don't trust that as a test.

The way I test, if a vnc client fails to connect, it (from the remote
host) "telnet vncserver port#". Where port# is the port the server is
connected. Most of the time, for me, it is 5901.

The one thing you didn't mention is....what error are you getting at the
client side?

Also, FWIW, I don't use "vino". I stick with tigervnc.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Eric Tanguy

Le 02/06/2011 10:39, Ed Greshko a écrit :
> On 06/02/2011 04:35 PM, Eric Tanguy wrote:
>> To test i have disabled the firewall with the same result.
> Personally, I don't trust that as a test.
>
> The way I test, if a vnc client fails to connect, it (from the remote
> host) "telnet vncserver port#". Where port# is the port the server is
> connected. Most of the time, for me, it is 5901.
>
> The one thing you didn't mention is....what error are you getting at the
> client side?
>
> Also, FWIW, I don't use "vino". I stick with tigervnc.

Ok but i don't know the vnc server port. I tried telnet vncserver 5901
and i obtained a timeout.
Client side i just obtain : failed to connect to server (ip address). I
use TightVNC client under Winxp.
Eric

Old 06-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Ed Greshko

On 06/02/2011 04:58 PM, Eric Tanguy wrote:
> Ok but i don't know the vnc server port. I tried telnet vncserver 5901
> and i obtained a timeout.
> Client side i just obtain : failed to connect to server (ip address). I
> use TightVNC client under Winxp.

According to a google search, vino-server uses 5900 as the default port.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:24 AM
"Michael D. Setzer II"

I upgraded a Fedora 14 machine that had vncserver running on it,
and it works most of the time. In my it is started by the vncserver
service that uses the /etc/sysconfig/vncserver to start it up.

On the machine, you could try manually starting it.
vncserver :10
vncviewer 127.0.0.1:10

I have had one issue, where the pid files are still existing after a
power outage on the machine, and have to manually remove
them and restart.

As a side note. Doesn't vino only work with the :0 display.

Date sent:***** ***Thu, 02 Jun 2011 10:30:03 +0200
From:********** *****Eric Tanguy <eric.tanguy@gmail.com>
To:************ ********Community support for Fedora users
<users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
Subject:******* *****vnc and gnome3
Send reply to:* *Community support for Fedora users
<users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
***************************<mailto:users-request@lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=subscribe>

> I tried to enable vnc viewing of my gnome3 session. I enabled the
> options in vino-preferences with the network autoconfiguration option
> but when i try to connect with a vnc client from my winxp laptop it does
> not work.
> Any idea ?
> Thanks
> Eric

**

Old 06-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Eric Tanguy

Le 02/06/2011 11:21, Ed Greshko a écrit :
> On 06/02/2011 04:58 PM, Eric Tanguy wrote:
>> Ok but i don't know the vnc server port. I tried telnet vncserver 5901
>> and i obtained a timeout.
>> Client side i just obtain : failed to connect to server (ip address). I
>> use TightVNC client under Winxp.
> According to a google search, vino-server uses 5900 as the default port.
Same problem with the 5900 port.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:08 PM
"Bryn M. Reeves"

On 06/02/2011 02:05 PM, Eric Tanguy wrote:
> Le 02/06/2011 11:21, Ed Greshko a écrit :
>> On 06/02/2011 04:58 PM, Eric Tanguy wrote:
>>> Ok but i don't know the vnc server port. I tried telnet vncserver 5901
>>> and i obtained a timeout.
>>> Client side i just obtain : failed to connect to server (ip address). I
>>> use TightVNC client under Winxp.
>> According to a google search, vino-server uses 5900 as the default port.
> Same problem with the 5900 port.

Instead of guessing and googling why not just check what port it's running on? ;-)

netstat -planet | grep vino

Fwiw remote desktop using vino (via Actions->Remote Desktop) is working just
fine here (modulo a few glitches with the visuals over vnc but it's still usable).

Regards,
Bryn.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Eric Tanguy

Le 02/06/2011 15:08, Bryn M. Reeves a écrit :
> On 06/02/2011 02:05 PM, Eric Tanguy wrote:
>>> According to a google search, vino-server uses 5900 as the default port.
>> Same problem with the 5900 port.
>>
> Instead of guessing and googling why not just check what port it's running on? ;-)
>
> netstat -planet | grep vino
>
> Fwiw remote desktop using vino (via Actions->Remote Desktop) is working just
> fine here (modulo a few glitches with the visuals over vnc but it's still usable).
>
> Regards,
> Bryn.

Not here it's my problem and i don't know where the problem come from ...
Eric