FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-02-2011, 07:53 AM
Pasha R
 
Default Gnome shell and NVidia binary drivers

I'm running F15 on Dell Latitude D620 Laptop with NVidia NVS 110M
video card. So far I used it with nouveau drivers and while it ran
fairly well, I experienced sometimes glitches - screen becoming white
or otherwise unreadable. So, I tried to install NVidia drivers from
RPMFusion. After log in, gnome shell draws its top bar, but after that
it simply stops drawing anything on screen. If I launch terminal, I
can see that mouse pointer changes when it goes in and out of terminal
window, but window itself can not be seen.
After sometime it displays "sad terminal" icon with a message "Oh no!
Something has gone wrong. A problem has occurred and the system can't
recover. Please log out and try again".
Are NVidia drivers supported by Gnome 3?
Should I file bug for this? And if yes - to RedHat bugzilla or to Gnome?
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Ed Greshko
 
Default Gnome shell and NVidia binary drivers

On 06/02/2011 03:53 PM, Pasha R wrote:
> I'm running F15 on Dell Latitude D620 Laptop with NVidia NVS 110M
> video card. So far I used it with nouveau drivers and while it ran
> fairly well, I experienced sometimes glitches - screen becoming white
> or otherwise unreadable. So, I tried to install NVidia drivers from
> RPMFusion. After log in, gnome shell draws its top bar, but after that
> it simply stops drawing anything on screen. If I launch terminal, I
> can see that mouse pointer changes when it goes in and out of terminal
> window, but window itself can not be seen.
> After sometime it displays "sad terminal" icon with a message "Oh no!
> Something has gone wrong. A problem has occurred and the system can't
> recover. Please log out and try again".
> Are NVidia drivers supported by Gnome 3?
> Should I file bug for this? And if yes - to RedHat bugzilla or to Gnome?

I've just installed the nvidia drivers from RPMfusion as well. Running
F15-x86_64. I've got a GeForce GT 230.

After the install, I still had to use dracut to recreate the initramfs
with the nouveau driver blacklisted. Thought the install was going to
take care of that...but it didn't.

Anyway, my reason for doing this was that I wanted to run GNOME 3 in a
Vbox guest. In order to do that you need to enable 3D in the display
section. The Vbox guest would crash when bringing up the GNOME Shell.
No problems with the nVidia drivers.

But, to answer your question..... GNOME shell runs just fine on my system.

I normally run KDE and I will have to say the nVidia drivers do perform
better than nouveau. The shading is better as well as the desktop
effects and transitions. But, nouveau is getting better every release.

Whatever you do, don't file a bugzilla about nVidia drivers on
Redhat/Fedora. It is specifically *UNSUPPORTED*.


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-02-2011, 08:38 AM
Pasha R
 
Default Gnome shell and NVidia binary drivers

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:
> On 06/02/2011 03:53 PM, Pasha R wrote:
>> I'm running F15 on Dell Latitude D620 Laptop with NVidia NVS 110M
>> video card. So far I used it with nouveau drivers and while it ran
>> fairly well, I experienced sometimes glitches - screen becoming white
>> or otherwise unreadable. So, I tried to install NVidia drivers from
>> RPMFusion. After log in, gnome shell draws its top bar, but after that
>> it simply stops drawing anything on screen. If I launch terminal, I
>> can see that mouse pointer changes when it goes in and out of terminal
>> window, but window itself can not be seen.
>> After sometime it displays "sad terminal" icon with a message "Oh no!
>> Something has gone wrong. A problem has occurred and the system can't
>> recover. Please log out and try again".
>> Are NVidia drivers supported by Gnome 3?
>> Should I file bug for this? And if yes - to RedHat bugzilla or to Gnome?
>
> I've just installed the nvidia drivers from RPMfusion as well. *Running
> F15-x86_64. *I've got a GeForce GT 230.
>
> After the install, I still had to use dracut to recreate the initramfs
> with the nouveau driver blacklisted. *Thought the install was going to
> take care of that...but it didn't.
>
> Anyway, my reason for doing this was that I wanted to run GNOME 3 in a
> Vbox guest. *In order to do that you need to enable 3D in the display
> section. *The Vbox guest would crash when bringing up the GNOME Shell.
> No problems with the nVidia drivers.
>
> But, to answer your question..... *GNOME shell runs just fine on my system.
>
> I normally run KDE and I will have to say the nVidia drivers do perform
> better than nouveau. *The shading is better as well as the desktop
> effects and transitions. *But, nouveau is getting better every release.
>
> Whatever you do, don't file a bugzilla about nVidia drivers on
> Redhat/Fedora. *It is specifically *UNSUPPORTED*.
>

Thanks for the tip. I ran dracut --force and rebooted, but it didn't help.

BTW, I also run F15 with full Gnome3 in VBox on my F14 host machine
with NVidia drivers (GeForce GT 240), and it works fairly well.
I know that NVidia drivers are officially not supported by Fedora, but
it is probably supported configuration for Gnome, so I'll try it
there.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Mike Chambers
 
Default Gnome shell and NVidia binary drivers

On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 11:38 +0300, Pasha R wrote:

> Thanks for the tip. I ran dracut --force and rebooted, but it didn't help.
>
> BTW, I also run F15 with full Gnome3 in VBox on my F14 host machine
> with NVidia drivers (GeForce GT 240), and it works fairly well.
> I know that NVidia drivers are officially not supported by Fedora, but
> it is probably supported configuration for Gnome, so I'll try it
> there.

When you installed, did you install the kmod or the akmod-nvidia? If
just the kmod, maybe using the akmod will do everything itself to get it
to run?

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"The best town on Earth!"

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Alexander Volovics
 
Default Gnome shell and NVidia binary drivers

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 10:53:09AM +0300, Pasha R wrote:

> After log in, gnome shell draws its top bar, but after that
> it simply stops drawing anything on screen. If I launch terminal, I
> can see that mouse pointer changes when it goes in and out of terminal
> window, but window itself can not be seen.
> After sometime it displays "sad terminal" icon with a message "Oh no!
> Something has gone wrong. A problem has occurred and the system can't
> recover. Please log out and try again".
> Are NVidia drivers supported by Gnome 3?

1) The rpmfusion (kmod or akmod) install does not get rid of the nouveau
kernel modules as expected. You MUST run dracut to create a new
initramfs file before rebooting. Only then are the nouveau modules
unloaded.

2) There still seems to be something wrong because something akin
to what Pasha wrote happens in my case also.
I get to the login screen. I can login and the full gnome 3 desktop
appears (blue striped wallpaper + top bar with all the necessary
entries). But thats it. No activity at all. I can press the windows
key nothing happens, position the mouse cursor on the user name and
click but no menu drops down, etc. The screen is frozen.
I can only logout with ctrl-alt-backspace.

So can their be some kind of conflict between the nvidia drivers and
the gnome 3 shell. Is it possible that selinux is involved in this
somehow.

I really would like to solve this because I have wasted enough time
trying to get this working. Any help would be appreciated.

Alexander

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Pasha R
 
Default Gnome shell and NVidia binary drivers

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Alexander Volovics <a.volovic@upcmail.nl> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 10:53:09AM +0300, Pasha R wrote:
>
>> After log in, gnome shell draws its top bar, but after that
>> it simply stops drawing anything on screen. If I launch terminal, I
>> can see that mouse pointer changes when it goes in and out of terminal
>> window, but window itself can not be seen.
>> After sometime it displays "sad terminal" icon with a message "Oh no!
>> Something has gone wrong. A problem has occurred and the system can't
>> recover. Please log out and try again".
>> Are NVidia drivers supported by Gnome 3?
>
> 1) The rpmfusion (kmod or akmod) install does not get rid of the nouveau
> * kernel modules as expected. You MUST run dracut to create a new
> * initramfs file before rebooting. Only then are the nouveau modules
> * unloaded.
>
> 2) There still seems to be something wrong because something akin
> * to what Pasha wrote happens in my case also.
> * I get to the login screen. I can login and the full gnome 3 desktop
> * appears (blue striped wallpaper + top bar with all the necessary
> * entries). But thats it. No activity at all. I can press the windows
> * key nothing happens, position the mouse cursor on the user name and
> * click but no menu drops down, etc. The screen is frozen.
> * I can only logout with ctrl-alt-backspace.
>
> So can their be some kind of conflict between the nvidia drivers and
> the gnome 3 shell. Is it possible that selinux is involved in this
> somehow.
>
> I really would like to solve this because I have wasted enough time
> trying to get this working. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Alexander

I installed the akmod-nvidia, and now also ran dracut --force to
recreate initramfs (and, obviously, rebooted). It doesn't help. I
installed KDE and it works, so, I guess drivers are working.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:27 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org