Old 06-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Antonio Olivares

Default Four Tweaks for Gnome 3

Dear folks,

For some users that still want to give Gnome 3.0 a chance, I found a site which explains ways to get some of the things that they liked in prior Gnome releases. Please check it out and see if they are beneficial

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2011/06/howto-four-tweaks-to-bring-back-missing-functionality-in-gnome-30.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign= rss

Some folks have written nice tweaks and get some of the functionality back. I hope that this message is not offensive to anyone and is taken in good terms.

Regards,

Antonio

Old 06-02-2011, 12:10 AM
Digimer

On 06/01/2011 07:54 PM, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Dear folks,
>
> For some users that still want to give Gnome 3.0 a chance, I found a site which explains ways to get some of the things that they liked in prior Gnome releases. Please check it out and see if they are beneficial
>
> http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2011/06/howto-four-tweaks-to-bring-back-missing-functionality-in-gnome-30.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign= rss
>
> Some folks have written nice tweaks and get some of the functionality back. I hope that this message is not offensive to anyone and is taken in good terms.
>
> Regards,
>
> Antonio

Personally, I remembered how I rebelled again the Enlightenment -> Gnome
transition back in the RH7.3 -> 8 days, and thought that I'd give the
new gnome a fair shake. The trick is to set aside frustration caused by
losing familiarity.

With that in mind, I'm quickly coming to like Gnome 3. It has wrinkles,
but it is also a 3.0 release. I think it has a lot of promise, and I
think people will come to like it as they get used to it.

Thanks for the links!

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer@alteeve.com

Old 06-02-2011, 06:57 PM
"Lars E. Pettersson"

On 06/02/2011 02:10 AM, Digimer wrote:
> With that in mind, I'm quickly coming to like Gnome 3. It has wrinkles,
> but it is also a 3.0 release. I think it has a lot of promise, and I
> think people will come to like it as they get used to it.

My biggest problem with Gnome 3 is that things that I could do by moving
the mouse, and a single mouse click, now needs several moves and several
mouse clicks, this severely disrupts my work flow. At the moment I have
moved to Xfce (which I aesthetically does not like, but can be made to
work the way I am used to), but I will check to see if new extensions
etc. turns up that make Gnome 3 usable (for me).

Sadly the things mentioned in the links earlier in the thread does not
solve my issues fully.

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars@homer.se>
http://www.sm6rpz.se/

Old 06-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Genes MailLists

On 06/02/2011 02:57 PM, Lars E. Pettersson wrote:

> My biggest problem with Gnome 3 is that things that I could do by moving
> the mouse, and a single mouse click, now needs several moves and several
> mouse clicks, this severely disrupts my work flow. At the moment I have
> moved to Xfce (which I aesthetically does not like, but can be made to
> work the way I am used to), but I will check to see if new extensions
> etc. turns up that make Gnome 3 usable (for me).

One possible problem with add-on extensions is that there is no
guarantee they will continue to work as things evolve (much like firefox
addons break as it evolves) unless they get absorbed into the core Gnome
shell or the addon developers stay very closely on top of things.

Then you have the timing problem - when exactly are add-ons updated to
reflect changes in Gnome core? Before they hit testing - after they hit
stable?

Sounds a bit dodgy to me to rely on these unless they get some
guarantee of working on a forward basis.

I'm willing to take some risks and bang at things ... but if you're
not, then at least be cautious with what extensions you rely on for your
daily activities.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Joe Zeff

On 06/02/2011 11:57 AM, Lars E. Pettersson wrote:
> My biggest problem with Gnome 3 is that things that I could do by moving
> the mouse, and a single mouse click, now needs several moves and several
> mouse clicks, this severely disrupts my work flow.

Interesting. Wasn't one of the big selling points about Gnome 3 the
claim that it made your work flow easier?

Old 06-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Digimer

On 06/02/2011 03:22 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 06/02/2011 11:57 AM, Lars E. Pettersson wrote:
>> My biggest problem with Gnome 3 is that things that I could do by moving
>> the mouse, and a single mouse click, now needs several moves and several
>> mouse clicks, this severely disrupts my work flow.
>
> Interesting. Wasn't one of the big selling points about Gnome 3 the
> claim that it made your work flow easier?

As I've been retraining my fingers, I am finding the flow much faster. I
switched to an Ubuntu machine last night and found myself repeatedly
trying to do Gnome3~ish things, not being able to, and having to switch
between keyboard and mouse.

It is, I continue to feel, a matter of letting go of your old habits and
letting yourself try a new way of working. When you do, I think you find
that the Gnome3 folks are on to something.

Of course, opinions vary.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Pasha R

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 10:15 PM, Genes MailLists <lists@sapience.com> wrote:
> On 06/02/2011 02:57 PM, Lars E. Pettersson wrote:
>

>> My biggest problem with Gnome 3 is that things that I could do by moving
>> the mouse, and a single mouse click, now needs several moves and several
>> mouse clicks, this severely disrupts my work flow. At the moment I have
>> moved to Xfce (which I aesthetically does not like, but can be made to
>> work the way I am used to), but I will check to see if new extensions
>> etc. turns up that make Gnome 3 usable (for me).
>>

> *One possible problem with add-on extensions is that there is no
> guarantee they will continue to work as things evolve (much like firefox
> addons break as it evolves) unless they get absorbed into the core Gnome
> shell or the addon developers stay very closely on top of things.
>
> *Then you have the timing problem - when exactly are add-ons updated to
> reflect changes in Gnome core? Before they hit testing - after they hit
> stable?
>
> *Sounds a bit dodgy to me to rely on these unless they get some
> guarantee of working on a forward basis.
>
> *I'm willing to take some risks and bang at things ... but if you're
> not, then at least be cautious with what extensions you rely on for your
> daily activities.

My problem with extensions is that there is no easy way to enable and
disable them on the fly and per user. All extensions I tried were
activated for all users when installed and required logoff to be
activated. It is possible to copy extension files to
~/.local/somewhere, but it is even less convenient and still requires
logoff.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Rahul Sundaram

My problem with extensions is that there is no easy way to enable and

disable them on the fly and per user. All extensions I tried were

activated for all users when installed and required logoff to be

activated. It is possible to copy extension files to

~/.local/somewhere, but it is even less convenient and still requires

logoff.

Take a look at this
*
http://blog.fpmurphy.com/2011/04/gnome-3-shell-extensions.html

gsettings lets you disable extensions on a per user basis without having to fiddle with .local

Rahul

Old 06-02-2011, 08:52 PM
Ron Yorston

Lars E. Pettersson wrote:
>Sadly the things mentioned in the links earlier in the thread does not
>solve my issues fully.

Have you tried my GNOME Shell frippery extensions?

http://intgat.tigress.co.uk/rmy/extensions/index.html

While you lot have been chattering here I've been busy releasing
version 0.2.0: "Jumping the shark".

This includes a bottom panel approximating to the one in GNOME 2.

If you're quick you can be the first to download it!

Ron

Old 06-02-2011, 09:53 PM
"Lars E. Pettersson"

On 06/02/2011 10:52 PM, Ron Yorston wrote:
> If you're quick you can be the first to download it!

Downloaded :-) Will go to bed now though, but will take a look
tomorrow. Seem to solve some issues I have been having though.

Lars