Old 06-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Michael Wiktowy

Default Sound input on Fedora 15

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 7:17 PM, Michael Eager <eager@eagercon.com> wrote:
> Sound output through my motherboard's Intel HDA ACL888 works OK.
> Sound input does not work.
>
> Alsa lists the ACL888 as well as a video capture card.
> Pulseaudio (pacmd list-sources) shows the card and says that it only has
> internal audio monitor, not hardware input.
>
> Any suggestions on how to fix this?

I would check pavucontrol and see if anything is turned off or using
the wrong Profile in the Configuration Tab.

Also, I have an Intel HDA internal sound card that doesn't give me any
input levels until I go into pavucontrol, unlock the sliders on the
input channel and decrease the R or L slider.

Just two suggestions that have worked for me in the past to get sound
input working.

/Mike

Old 06-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Mike Wright

On 06/01/2011 03:17 PM, Michael Eager wrote:
> Sound output through my motherboard's Intel HDA ACL888 works OK.
> Sound input does not work.
>
> Alsa lists the ACL888 as well as a video capture card.
> Pulseaudio (pacmd list-sources) shows the card and says that it only has
> internal audio monitor, not hardware input.
>
> Any suggestions on how to fix this?

If I understand you correctly the Line Input doesn't make it through the
sound path.

pactl load-module module-loopback
SoundSettings->Input->Connector = Line-In

Now clicking on the speaker icon will show two volume sliders: Volume
and Microphone.

hth

Old 06-02-2011, 01:01 AM
Michael Eager

On 06/01/2011 03:34 PM, Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 7:17 PM, Michael Eager<eager@eagercon.com> wrote:
>> Sound output through my motherboard's Intel HDA ACL888 works OK.
>> Sound input does not work.
>>
>> Alsa lists the ACL888 as well as a video capture card.
>> Pulseaudio (pacmd list-sources) shows the card and says that it only has
>> internal audio monitor, not hardware input.
>>
>> Any suggestions on how to fix this?
>
> I would check pavucontrol and see if anything is turned off or using
> the wrong Profile in the Configuration Tab.

Well, it's not clear which of the dozen profiles is the right one. :-)

Selecting "Analog Stereo Duplex" does result in the Input Devices
showing "Internal Audio Analog Stereo" with three options "Line-In",
"Microphone 1" and "Microphone 2". The blue VU meter bar for "Line-In"
is jumping around, which is progress. Clicking the "mute" button
makes it stop and start, which is good. But nothing comes out the
speakers.

Using a different Mike W.'s suggestion, I ran
"pactl load-module module-loopback". Suddenly there is sound!!!

I added the line "load-module module-loopback" to /etc/pulse/default.pa
and the change persists across a reboot.

Whew!!! It should not be this difficult to set up sound.

Thanks Mike & Mike!

--
Michael Eager eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306 650-325-8077