Old 06-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Alex

Default f15 kernel on f14?

Hi all,

Is it possible to use the fc15 kernel on fc14, and if so, how would
you go about doing that?

I could of course just download the SRPM and recompile it, but I'd
like to be able to easily update the system as well. I don't doubt
other RPMs will be required, but I can't upgrade this system just yet,
but still want to benefit from the much later kernel.

Are there too many dependency changes, such as module-init-tools,
grub, initscripts, etc, that woud normally be tied to the kernel
version to upgrade to the new one?

Thanks,
Alex

Old 06-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Genes MailLists

On 06/01/2011 12:11 PM, Alex wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to use the fc15 kernel on fc14, and if so, how would
> you go about doing that?
>
> I could of course just download the SRPM and recompile it, but I'd
> like to be able to easily update the system as well. I don't doubt
> other RPMs will be required, but I can't upgrade this system just yet,
> but still want to benefit from the much later kernel.
>
> Are there too many dependency changes, such as module-init-tools,
> grub, initscripts, etc, that woud normally be tied to the kernel
> version to upgrade to the new one?

Yes as of right now you can use it - however since the compiler and
libraries changed in F15 you will/may have problems with some kernel
modules - notably virtualbox.

I'd recommend getting the source rpm and building it on your f14
machine to avoid that issue.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Jan Willies

Is it possible to use the fc15 kernel on fc14, and if so, how would

you go about doing that?

I'm using the one from koji, works fine.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Frank Murphy

On 01/06/11 17:11, Alex wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to use the fc15 kernel on fc14, and if so, how would
> you go about doing that?

Do a test yum update
$ yum --releasever=15 yum update
see what it needs.
You can always say n

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Old 06-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Genes MailLists

On 06/01/2011 01:39 PM, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 01/06/11 17:11, Alex wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is it possible to use the fc15 kernel on fc14, and if so, how would
>> you go about doing that?
>>

> Do a test yum update
> $ yum --releasever=15 yum update
> see what it needs.
> You can always say n

You might want to limit that to:

yum --releasever=15 update kern* perf*

If all is good in the world that should pull in a newer compile
toolchain + libs. If you're ok with that ... should be backward
compatible ... this is perhaps a simpler to perform alternative to
compiling the kernel yourself ... and probably easier to keep up to date
too ..

Old 06-01-2011, 05:55 PM
M A Young

On Wed, 1 Jun 2011, Alex wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to use the fc15 kernel on fc14, and if so, how would
> you go about doing that?

kernels are generally stand alone and don't depend on other packages, so
you can probably just download and install the f15 kernel directly (though
if you are using RPM, make sure you use rpm -i and not -U or -F ie.
install rather than update or freshen which will both remove the existing
kernels). You might possibly have problems with things like X if the
drivers depend too closely on the kernel version, so it is always worth
making sure you can resort to a known good kernel if necessary, but I
expect it will just work.

Michael Young

Old 06-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Genes MailLists

On 06/01/2011 01:55 PM, M A Young wrote:

>> you go about doing that?
>
> kernels are generally stand alone and don't depend on other packages, so
> you can probably just download and install the f15 kernel directly (though

> Michael Young

Largely yes but kernel modules require some caution:

a) The newer compiler will make some compile time kernel modules
(such as virtualbox) not work unless you update the compiler on your f14
system to match the one used to compile the kernel (or recompile the kernel)

b) compiling nvidia kernel module - may have additional problema as
the kernel headers changed and it may be missing linux_smp.h or
something (forget the exact name).

So yes .. you are largely but not 100% correct :-)

Old 06-01-2011, 06:56 PM
JD

On 06/01/11 11:01, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 06/01/2011 01:55 PM, M A Young wrote:
>
>>> you go about doing that?
>> kernels are generally stand alone and don't depend on other packages, so
>> you can probably just download and install the f15 kernel directly (though
In the past, I have seen an intimate relationship between
the compiler version and the kernel. This was the case
when I used to run FreeBSD. I would try to compile a most
current release with a previous release compiler. I would
either get compilation or link-load errors, or the kernel
would not boot until I compiled it with the same compiler
version that the released kernel was compiled with.
Perhaps other individuals might recall the very early version of Linux.