Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora User (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/)
-   -   logwatch Mail Not Delivered (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/533546-logwatch-mail-not-delivered.html)

"Garry T. Williams" 06-01-2011 12:20 PM

logwatch Mail Not Delivered
 
I noticed that logwatch mail stopped on my F15 system recently. The
problem was that some update turned off sendmail. The mail was being
generated, but could not be delivered because nothing was listening on
the mail port at localhost.

The fix is:

sudo systemctl start sendmail.service
sudo systemctl enable sendmail.service

I'm wondering why this service was turned off?

--
Garry Williams
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

"Garry T. Williams" 06-05-2011 01:49 PM

logwatch Mail Not Delivered
 
On Wednesday, June 01, 2011 08:20:23 Garry T. Williams wrote:
> I noticed that logwatch mail stopped on my F15 system recently. The
> problem was that some update turned off sendmail. The mail was being
> generated, but could not be delivered because nothing was listening on
> the mail port at localhost.
>
> The fix is:
>
> sudo systemctl start sendmail.service
> sudo systemctl enable sendmail.service
>
> I'm wondering why this service was turned off?

This may be a systemd bug. Enabling sendmail.service is ineffective
after a reboot. I still have to manually start this service after
boot.

--
Garry Williams
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Joe Zeff 06-05-2011 04:20 PM

logwatch Mail Not Delivered
 
On 06/05/2011 06:49 AM, Garry T. Williams wrote:
> This may be a systemd bug. Enabling sendmail.service is ineffective
> after a reboot. I still have to manually start this service after
> boot.

Up through F14 there was a Gnome control panel (under Administration)
called Services. It allowed you to control which services started at
boot and in which runlevels. If it's still there in F15 and Gnome3,
it's probably what you want to use.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

"Garry T. Williams" 06-05-2011 04:49 PM

logwatch Mail Not Delivered
 
On Sunday, June 05, 2011 12:20:13 Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 06/05/2011 06:49 AM, Garry T. Williams wrote:
> > This may be a systemd bug. Enabling sendmail.service is
> > ineffective after a reboot. I still have to manually start this
> > service after boot.
>
> Up through F14 there was a Gnome control panel (under
> Administration) called Services. It allowed you to control which
> services started at boot and in which runlevels. If it's still
> there in F15 and Gnome3, it's probably what you want to use.

OK, I should have mentioned that chkconfig --list sendmail clearly
shows that it is enabled.

The "Services" application is no longer very useful[*]. The systemd
way is:

systemctl enable sendmail.service

This succeeds; chkconfig verifies that, but the systemd unit still is
not started at boot time.

The simple work-around for now is to run

systemctl start sendmail.service

after boot or to add the command to rc.local .

Finally, the problem has been reported:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=704393

_____________________[*] Although I don't run Gnome, the application is
system-config-services and it is offered by KDE under the
Administration menu. It seems, judging from the UI, that it will
allow starting, stopping and restarting only. The enable and disable
icons are disabled. Curiously, chkconfig will enable and disable
legacy SysV services.

All this will eventually be sorted out because the SysV init scripts
will be replaced by systemd units. See
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SysVtoSystemd .

--
Garry Williams
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:43 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.