Old 06-01-2011, 10:02 AM
sandeep Patel

Default yum update error in fedora 15

Hi All,
* * * * *I have installed fedora 15x86_64(fresh).And when I tried to update
It gives error like this:

[root@localhost ~]# yum update
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekitCould not retrieve mirrorlist
http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-15&arch=x86_64
error was14: curl#5 - "Couldn't resolve proxy"Could not retrieve mirrorlist
http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-updates-released-15&arch=x86_64
error was14: curl#5 - "Couldn't resolve proxy"Could not retrieve mirrorlist
http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=nonfree-fedora-15&arch=x86_64
error was14: curl#5 - "Couldn't resolve proxy"Could not retrieve mirrorlist
http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=nonfree-fedora-updates-released-15&arch=x86_64
error was14: curl#5 - "Couldn't resolve proxy"Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for
repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again

I am using my net connection behind proxy server. So I also made the
changes in yum.conf file for proxy, proxy_username,proxy_password.I did googling for this problem. and i tried solution but they did not work.

Could any one please help me to come out from this problem?

--
Sandeep Kumar Patel
M.C.A.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:11 AM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

On 06/01/2011 11:02 AM, sandeep Patel wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have installed fedora 15x86_64(fresh).And when I tried to update
> It gives error like this:
>
> *[root@localhost ~]# yum update
> Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
> Could not retrieve mirrorlist
> http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-15&arch=x86_64
> <http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-15&arch=x86_64>
> error was
> 14: curl#5 - "Couldn't resolve proxy"
> Could not retrieve mirrorlist
> http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-updates-released-15&arch=x86_64
> <http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-updates-released-15&arch=x86_64>
> error was
> 14: curl#5 - "Couldn't resolve proxy"
> Could not retrieve mirrorlist
> http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=nonfree-fedora-15&arch=x86_64
> <http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=nonfree-fedora-15&arch=x86_64>
> error was
> 14: curl#5 - "Couldn't resolve proxy"
> Could not retrieve mirrorlist
> http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=nonfree-fedora-updates-released-15&arch=x86_64
> <http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=nonfree-fedora-updates-released-15&arch=x86_64>
> error was
> 14: curl#5 - "Couldn't resolve proxy"
> Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for
> repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again*
>
> I am using my net connection behind proxy server. So I also made the
> changes in yum.conf file for proxy, proxy_username,proxy_password.I did
> googling for this problem. and i tried solution but they did not work.
>
> Could any one please help me to come out from this problem?
>
> --
> Sandeep Kumar Patel
> M.C.A.
> University of Hyderabad
> Email ID: leosandeep08@gmail.com <mailto:leosandeep08@gmail.com>
> Contact N0.: +91-9491383752

This looks like a problem with your network configuration, and not yum
itself. Check if you can access the internet, if not then it almost
certainly is your network configuration.

HTH

cpp4ever

Old 06-01-2011, 10:19 AM
sandeep Patel

I am able to access internet.In mozila firefox, i am able to browse all sites.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:11 AM
sandeep Patel

Hi everybody, can anyone please suggest me the solution of this problem because i already tried*solutions that are in the net.*

Old 06-03-2011, 11:47 AM
Genes MailLists

On 06/03/2011 03:11 AM, sandeep Patel wrote:

> <http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-15&arch=x86_64>>
> > error was
> > 14: curl#5 - "Couldn't resolve proxy"
> > Could not retrieve mirrorlist

Looks like you didnt set it up correctly - yum seems to be saying that
whatever hostname you used for your proxy doesn't exist.

Check this in a shell:

host <proxyhost name you put in yum>

If you dont get an IP thats the problem.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Genes MailLists

[Please reply to the list not to me directly]

On 06/04/2011 11:05 AM, sandeep Patel wrote:
> Hi,
> I set proxy, proxy_username,proxy_password in the yum.conf file.My
> machine hostname is by default is localhost.localdomain.
> Can u please describe in more detail how i'll check host command in my
> shell:

In your yum.conf you have a line
proxy=xxx

Within xxx is the host of your proxy.
If you do NOT have this line that is your problem.
If you do have the line - take that hostname (I'll call it HHH)- bring
up a terminal and type into the terminal:

host HHH
press Enter
where you replace HHH with whatever host you used in the proxy= line.

See if this returns an IP address - if not - thats your problem.