Old 06-01-2011, 05:59 AM
Ed Greshko

Default libreoffice and NFS

F15/64 bit.

Has anyone else tried opening a document in libreoffice when the
document in on an NFS file system?

It reports that the document is locked by "user unknown" and will offer
to open the document read-only. It will also fail to save the document
on the NFS file system.

However, if I run /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin directly,
it is OK....

Nothing found in bugzilla

Thanks,
Ed

Old 06-01-2011, 06:26 AM
JD

On 05/31/11 22:59, Ed Greshko wrote:
> F15/64 bit.
>
> Has anyone else tried opening a document in libreoffice when the
> document in on an NFS file system?
>
> It reports that the document is locked by "user unknown" and will offer
> to open the document read-only. It will also fail to save the document
> on the NFS file system.
>
> However, if I run /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin directly,
> it is OK....
>
> Nothing found in bugzilla
>
> Thanks,
> Ed
Hi Ed,
I do not run libreoffice, but I thought you
might check the command in /usr/bin to
see what args it is passing to the script
that starts soffice.bin

Old 06-01-2011, 06:55 AM
Ed Greshko

On 06/01/2011 02:26 PM, JD wrote:
> On 05/31/11 22:59, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> F15/64 bit.
>>
>> Has anyone else tried opening a document in libreoffice when the
>> document in on an NFS file system?
>>
>> It reports that the document is locked by "user unknown" and will offer
>> to open the document read-only. It will also fail to save the document
>> on the NFS file system.
>>
>> However, if I run /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin directly,
>> it is OK....
>>
>> Nothing found in bugzilla
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ed
> Hi Ed,
> I do not run libreoffice, but I thought you
> might check the command in /usr/bin to
> see what args it is passing to the script
> that starts soffice.bin

Thanks for the suggestion..... Somehow it has something to do with file
locking.

I edited the /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/soffice script to comment
out the line:

SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING=1

and it now works "properly".

Will have to bugzilla it....

Old 06-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Bob Goodwin

On 01/06/11 02:55, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/01/2011 02:26 PM, JD wrote:
>> On 05/31/11 22:59, Ed Greshko wrote:
>>> F15/64 bit.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else tried opening a document in libreoffice when the
>>> document in on an NFS file system?
>>>
>>> It reports that the document is locked by "user unknown" and will offer
>>> to open the document read-only. It will also fail to save the document
>>> on the NFS file system.
>>>
>>> However, if I run /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin directly,
>>> it is OK....
>>>
>>> Nothing found in bugzilla
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ed
>> Hi Ed,
>> I do not run libreoffice, but I thought you
>> might check the command in /usr/bin to
>> see what args it is passing to the script
>> that starts soffice.bin
>>
> Thanks for the suggestion..... Somehow it has something to do with file
> locking.
>
> I edited the /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/soffice script to comment
> out the line:
>
> SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING=1
>
> and it now works "properly".
>
> Will have to bugzilla it....

I can't read text or spreadsheet data from NFS with Libreoffice.

Otherwise NFS is working normally and Libreoffice will work with the
same files copied to this computer.

I tried setting

SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING=1
SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING=0

It does not help. There seems to be something else going on with
Libreoffice. This is F-15 32 on a 64 bit computer if that matters
other than that I am dealing with
"./usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice."

Bob

Old 06-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Frank Murphy

On 01/06/11 11:29, Bob Goodwin wrote:

It does not help. There seems to be something else going on with
> Libreoffice. This is F-15 32 on a 64 bit computer if that matters
> other than that I am dealing with
> "./usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice."
>
> Bob

Can you read other files across nfs,
have you tried a pdf, using evinceother
to see if nfs is at fault.

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Old 06-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Ed Greshko

On 06/01/2011 06:29 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:

> I can't read text or spreadsheet data from NFS with Libreoffice.
>
> Otherwise NFS is working normally and Libreoffice will work with the
> same files copied to this computer.
>
> I tried setting
>
> SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING=1
> SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING=0
>

> It does not help. There seems to be something else going on with
> Libreoffice. This is F-15 32 on a 64 bit computer if that matters
> other than that I am dealing with
> "./usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice."

Don't set it to 0, comment out the line. I think there is a difference....

If I remember correctly, I tried 0 too....

Ed

Old 06-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Bob Goodwin

On 01/06/11 06:33, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/01/2011 06:29 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> I can't read text or spreadsheet data from NFS with Libreoffice.
>>
>> Otherwise NFS is working normally and Libreoffice will work with the
>> same files copied to this computer.
>>
>> I tried setting
>>
>> SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING=1
>> SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING=0
>>

>> It does not help. There seems to be something else going on with
>> Libreoffice. This is F-15 32 on a 64 bit computer if that matters
>> other than that I am dealing with
>> "./usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice."
>>

> Don't set it to 0, comment out the line. I think there is a difference....
>
> If I remember correctly, I tried 0 too....
>
> Ed

I commented it out instead, still no joy!

Also tried evince, which I had to install first since apparently
it doesn't come with the xfce spin? No problem displaying the
.pdf from the server.

My calendar and notes that I keep in notecase all work just
fine, it's only Libreoffice I have trouble with and it works
with the openeoffice files as long as they are copied to this
computer.

Bob

Old 06-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Ed Greshko

On 06/01/2011 06:55 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:

> I commented it out instead, still no joy!
>
> Also tried evince, which I had to install first since apparently
> it doesn't come with the xfce spin? No problem displaying the
> .pdf from the server.
>
> My calendar and notes that I keep in notecase all work just
> fine, it's only Libreoffice I have trouble with and it works
> with the openeoffice files as long as they are copied to this
> computer.

I see....

Could you try one other thing that worked for me?

Could you execute /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin directly?

Ed

Old 06-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Bob Goodwin

Old 06-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Ed Greshko

On 06/01/2011 07:35 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Yes, it collected the spreadsheet data from the server doing that.
> >

> > # file locking now enabled by default
> > # SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING=1
> > # export SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING
> >
> > Line was commented out as above also.

Ah Ha!

I see why it didn't work for you earlier.... You commented out *both*
lines. Only the first line "SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING=1" should have been
commented out.

I went through that iteration too.... I should have made sure of
that...but things were a bit fuzzy while fighting that problem as I was
also fighting a flaky display panel on another system.