-   -   name of java rpm? jre native fedora java (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/533372-name-java-rpm-jre-native-fedora-java.html)

Ed Greshko 06-01-2011 01:37 AM

name of java rpm? jre native fedora java

> I am happily running Fedora 15 on several boxes. Our school will be switching from VistaNet to PowerSchool Online systems by Pearsons. We used to do attendance/grading on Vistanet and now we will use Powerschool online Gradebook which appears to need java to run. On one of my machines I have java already as I run the testers:
>
> http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp
>
> and it returns that java is present.
>
> but there is no rpm reported back:
>
> [olivares@acer-aspire-1 ~]$ rpm -qa java
> [olivares@acer-aspire-1 ~]$

java is provided by the jre (Java Runtime Environment) package relevant
for the architecture you are running.

Ed Greshko 06-01-2011 01:43 AM

name of java rpm? jre native fedora java

Oh, forgot to add....

What you really want is to do....

yum whatprovides *bin/java

Ed

Ed Greshko 06-01-2011 01:48 AM

On 06/01/2011 09:43 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Oh, forgot to add....
>
> What you really want is to do....
>
> yum whatprovides *bin/java
>
> Ed

Oh, and I think I was mistaken with my first answer....as I didn't do
what I said you should do and was mislead by a symbolic link. Very
sorry....

Anyway....hope this helps. (Must do less multi-tasking)

Kam Leo 06-01-2011 01:55 AM

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 6:48 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:
> On 06/01/2011 09:43 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> Oh, forgot to add....
>>
>> What you really want is to do....
>>
>> yum whatprovides *bin/java
>>
>> Ed
>
> Oh, and I think I was mistaken with my first answer....as I didn't do
> what I said you should do and was mislead by a symbolic link. *Very
> sorry....
>
> Anyway....hope this helps. *(Must do less multi-tasking)

Other commands:

yum list java*

alternatives --display java

Andrew Haley 06-01-2011 09:14 AM

On 01/06/11 01:35, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> I am happily running Fedora 15 on several boxes. Our school will be
> switching from VistaNet to PowerSchool Online systems by Pearsons.
> We used to do attendance/grading on Vistanet and now we will use
> Powerschool online Gradebook which appears to need java to run. On
> one of my machines I have java already as I run the testers:
>
> http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp
>
> and it returns that java is present.
>
> but there is no rpm reported back:
>
> [olivares@acer-aspire-1 ~]$ rpm -qa java
> [olivares@acer-aspire-1 ~]$
>
> I would like to know which rpm is the one that gives the open source/free java implementation in Fedora.

java-1.6.0-openjdk

Andrew.

Deepak Bhole 06-01-2011 01:59 PM

name of java rpm? jre native fedora java

* Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@yahoo.com> [2011-05-31 20:35]:
> Dear folks,
>
> I am happily running Fedora 15 on several boxes. Our school will be switching from VistaNet to PowerSchool Online systems by Pearsons. We used to do attendance/grading on Vistanet and now we will use Powerschool online Gradebook which appears to need java to run. On one of my machines I have java already as I run the testers:
>
> http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp
>
> and it returns that java is present.
>
> but there is no rpm reported back:
>
> [olivares@acer-aspire-1 ~]$ rpm -qa java
> [olivares@acer-aspire-1 ~]$
>
> I would like to know which rpm is the one that gives the open source/free java implementation in Fedora. This way I can install it on other machines in case it is not present and be ready to migrate to the new gradebook. Also if there are any teachers out there that have used PowerSchool Online Gradebook on Fedora and have any caveats, tips, tricks to share them. I would like to continue using Fedora/Linux to do these tasks. I had run Easy Grade Pro using wine for the last several years successfully and now the system changes again and I want to be ready.

As Andrew Haley pointed out, java-1.6.0-openjdk provides "Java". Note
however that the plugin is not provided by that RPM. It is provided by
the icedtea-web RPM as of F15.

Cheers,
Deepak