Old 05-31-2011, 02:06 PM
Roger

Default F15 doesn't believe my hardware clock uses local time

On Tue, 2011-05-31 at 16:26 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> On my laptop, it seems that at every boot the clock is offseted by my
> timezone.
>
> Date/Time properties shows "System clock uses UTC" unchecked. This is a dual-
> boot with WinXP, so I must keep the bios clock on local time. Yet, it seems
> that when I boot the bios clock is read as UTC nevertheless.

I have a similar problem with Fedora 14. It displays time different from
the Ubuntu installation on another drive.
Fedora is showing 3 min past midnight and Ubuntu before reboot to Fedora
showed 2 minutes past 10 am same day.
neither use UTC and it's only happened since installing Fedora 14.
It has me puzzled.
Roger

Old 05-31-2011, 11:42 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Tom Horsley writes:

On Tue, 31 May 2011 16:26:21 -0400
Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> Before I begin a long and painful adventure in pulling apart with what's
> happening with systemd/initscripts, anyone has any clues where I should
look?

Check /etc/adjtime, it should say LOCAL, not UTC. You can also run
hwclock --localtime to resync the hardware clock to local time.

It's says LOCAL, and the hwclock is most certainly resynced. Besides, at
eash reboot hwclock-save.service should assure that the bios clock gets
synced. But, at the next boot, it's broken again.

I just went through this with a Windows dual boot system, and I could
swear I didn't say clock uses UTC when I installed, but maybe I
did out of reflex.

I upgraded from F14. There were no issues before the upgrade.

I thought that it was odd that after I upgraded to F15, applied the updates,
and rebooted a few times, the clock was off by twelve hours. I just shrugged
it off as a gremlin, and resynced from my ntp server.

But when I noticed that the clock immediately jumped to being four hours
later after a reboot, the alarm bell went off.

Unfortunately, now that we have this systemd infrastructure, it's not as
easy as sticking a bunch of "date"s in the various rc scripts, to see what's
happening to the clock when the system boots, and where it runs askew.

A brief Google search shows that I'm not the only one:

http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1475721#post1475721

… and, we're in Bugzilla. Looks like a bug to me.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:21 AM
Tim

On Tue, 2011-05-31 at 17:00 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> the laptop's been on the mains power all the time, and wouldn't be
> drawing the CMOS battery at all.

Depends on the circuit design. It's quite possible for part, or all, of
the BIOS to depend entirely on a battery.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:47 PM
"Clyde E. Kunkel"

On 05/31/2011 07:42 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Tom Horsley writes:
>
>> On Tue, 31 May 2011 16:26:21 -0400
>> Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>>
>> > Before I begin a long and painful adventure in pulling apart with
>> what's
>> > happening with systemd/initscripts, anyone has any clues where I
>> should look?
>>
>> Check /etc/adjtime, it should say LOCAL, not UTC. You can also run
>> hwclock --localtime to resync the hardware clock to local time.
>
> It's says LOCAL, and the hwclock is most certainly resynced. Besides, at
> eash reboot hwclock-save.service should assure that the bios clock gets
> synced. But, at the next boot, it's broken again.
>
>> I just went through this with a Windows dual boot system, and I could
>> swear I didn't say clock uses UTC when I installed, but maybe I
>> did out of reflex.
>
> I upgraded from F14. There were no issues before the upgrade.
>
> I thought that it was odd that after I upgraded to F15, applied the
> updates, and rebooted a few times, the clock was off by twelve hours. I
> just shrugged it off as a gremlin, and resynced from my ntp server.
>
> But when I noticed that the clock immediately jumped to being four hours
> later after a reboot, the alarm bell went off.
>
> Unfortunately, now that we have this systemd infrastructure, it's not as
> easy as sticking a bunch of "date"s in the various rc scripts, to see
> what's happening to the clock when the system boots, and where it runs
> askew.
>
> A brief Google search shows that I'm not the only one:
>
> http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1475721#post1475721
>
> … and, we're in Bugzilla. Looks like a bug to me.

Fixed? systemd may be the unintentional culprit. systemctl status
ntpd.service

OldFart