Old 05-31-2011, 09:09 PM
Matias Kreder

Default how to enable SPICE?

Hi,

For me it looks like SPICE was coming with Fedora 15:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SpiceInVirtManager

but after upgrading and switching one of my VM's to Spice instead of VNC I get:

Error starting domain: internal error Process exited while reading
console log output: qemu: -spice
port=5900,addr=127.0.0.1,disable-ticketing: there is no option group
"spice"
spice is not supported by this qemu build.

I have tried both hypervisors "qemu" and "qemu-kvm".

virt-manager has support for SPICE, but our qemu/kvm didn't come with
spice? I upgraded from F14, probably something was not installed...

Regards
Matias

Old 05-31-2011, 09:17 PM
Tom Horsley

On Tue, 31 May 2011 18:09:36 -0300
Matias Kreder wrote:

> virt-manager has support for SPICE, but our qemu/kvm didn't come with
> spice? I upgraded from F14, probably something was not installed...

I was able to switch my XP VM to spice in F15 beta (haven't gotten
around to in in released version yet). The info about what
I did is at:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/wisdom/braindump/kvm.html

Old 05-31-2011, 09:18 PM
Konstantin Svist

On 05/31/2011 02:09 PM, Matias Kreder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For me it looks like SPICE was coming with Fedora 15:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SpiceInVirtManager
>
> but after upgrading and switching one of my VM's to Spice instead of VNC I get:
>
> Error starting domain: internal error Process exited while reading
> console log output: qemu: -spice
> port=5900,addr=127.0.0.1,disable-ticketing: there is no option group
> "spice"
> spice is not supported by this qemu build.
>
> I have tried both hypervisors "qemu" and "qemu-kvm".
>
> virt-manager has support for SPICE, but our qemu/kvm didn't come with
> spice? I upgraded from F14, probably something was not installed...
>
> Regards
> Matias

1: spice only works on x64 architecture, so make sure you have that
2: you can install spice packages, look for "spice" in the package list

Old 05-31-2011, 09:26 PM
Frank Murphy

On 31/05/11 22:09, Matias Kreder wrote:
> Hi,

> virt-manager has support for SPICE, but our qemu/kvm didn't come with
> spice? I upgraded from F14, probably something was not installed...
>
> Regards
> Matias

Did you yum install spice* ?

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Old 05-31-2011, 09:35 PM
Matias Kreder

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31/05/11 22:09, Matias Kreder wrote:
>> Hi,
>

>> virt-manager has support for SPICE, but our qemu/kvm didn't come with
>> spice? I upgraded from F14, probably something was not installed...
>>
>> Regards
>> Matias
>

> Did you yum install spice* ?

Yes, I did:

[root@mirror ~]# rpm -qa | grep spice
spice-gtk-devel-0.5-6.fc15.i686
spice-gtk-python-0.5-6.fc15.i686
spice-gtk-tools-0.5-6.fc15.i686
spice-client-0.8.1-1.fc15.i686
spice-parent-15-4.fc15.noarch
spice-protocol-0.8.0-1.fc15.noarch
spice-vdagent-0.8.0-1.fc15.i686
spice-glib-devel-0.5-6.fc15.i686
spice-glib-0.5-6.fc15.i686
spice-gtk-0.5-6.fc15.i686
spice-gtk3-devel-0.5-6.fc15.i686
spice-gtk3-0.5-6.fc15.i686

Old 05-31-2011, 09:39 PM
Konstantin Svist

On 05/31/2011 02:35 PM, Matias Kreder wrote:
> Yes, I did:
>
> [root@mirror ~]# rpm -qa | grep spice
> spice-gtk-devel-0.5-6.fc15.i686
> spice-gtk-python-0.5-6.fc15.i686
> spice-gtk-tools-0.5-6.fc15.i686
> spice-client-0.8.1-1.fc15.i686
> spice-parent-15-4.fc15.noarch
> spice-protocol-0.8.0-1.fc15.noarch
> spice-vdagent-0.8.0-1.fc15.i686
> spice-glib-devel-0.5-6.fc15.i686
> spice-glib-0.5-6.fc15.i686
> spice-gtk-0.5-6.fc15.i686
> spice-gtk3-devel-0.5-6.fc15.i686
> spice-gtk3-0.5-6.fc15.i686

It's right there -- you're running x86 architecture, so you can't use spice.
If your hardware supports x64 architecture, you'll want to install
Fedora x64 to get spice to work

Old 05-31-2011, 11:13 PM
Matias Kreder

I will migrate to x86_64, thanks!