-   -   Another failure (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/533287-another-failure.html)

Beartooth 05-31-2011 08:50 PM

Another failure

On an expendable (and thoroughly backed up, fully updated) Athlon
XP 2800+ with 1.9 GB of memory, running F 14, I asked here on April 25
about preupgrade. Having gotten two prompt and helpful replies, I went
ahead, getting an install of F15 Beta.

Starting April 27, I began a thread ("So where are my
workspaces?") which became long and bifurcated, both here and on the
testers' list. There was a lot of floundering on my part, with helpful
specific links to several bugs, which I studied. I also kept updating F15
at least daily.

F15 soon reached a point where its login screen produced only
error messages, which I posted. The bugs meanwhile were gradually
declared fixed, though the fix didn't work on this machine. About that
point I ceased keeping up with the lists, though I kept trying.

With upgrades and "yum install" commands issued over ssh from
other machines on my LAN, I became able to log into KDE4 and Xfce; I
spent some time trying them out, particularly as to workspace switchers
or substitutes. (There were also several other threads, on both lists
iirc, from other users whose needs Gnome 3 seemed not to meet.)

When F15 was declared golden, I waited a couple of days, burned a
DVD, and tried to "upgrade." No change. I tried doing a fresh install,
figuring that some obscure glitch on this machine must be responsible. No
change.

Finally I pulled the big hammer: wiped the whole machine with
DBAN, and did a second fresh install of F15. It still hit the dead bug
with logging into Gnome3.

I couldn't face the effort to enable KDE4 or Xfce via ssh again,
nor the learning curve that would follow. I'm now
managing,unsatisfactorily but adequately, with Scientific Linux 6.0 on
this machine. (I have EPEL, rpmforge, and rpmfusion enabled.)

I'll probably try F16 this fall, and meanwhile stick to F14 on my
other machines.

What I miss most from Fedora are these :

dillo, galeon, epiphany, kazehakase, midori, privoxy, seamonkey, and
gnome-control-center. (SL seems to have the last, but I can't get
anything but "command not found" from it.)

Question: if I forgo yum and PackageKit, and get ahold of actual
Fedora rpms somewhere, can I install and run them in SL? Or is there a
compatible repo I've overlooked??

In theory, according to the EPEL page, they should be available
there; but they don't seem to be.

Joe Zeff 05-31-2011 09:03 PM

Another failure

On 05/31/2011 01:50 PM, Beartooth wrote:
> I couldn't face the effort to enable KDE4 or Xfce via ssh again,
> nor the learning curve that would follow.

I can't speak for anybody else, of course, but I can tell you that when
I migrated to XFCE there was very little of a learning curve. Almost
everything "just worked," and their support forum was very helpful.

BeartoothHOS 06-01-2011 08:59 PM

Another failure

On Tue, 31 May 2011 14:03:10 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:

> On 05/31/2011 01:50 PM, Beartooth wrote:
>> I couldn't face the effort to enable KDE4 or Xfce via ssh again, nor
>> the learning curve that would follow.
>
> I can't speak for anybody else, of course, but I can tell you that when
> I migrated to XFCE there was very little of a learning curve. Almost
> everything "just worked," and their support forum was very helpful.

I did try Xfce for two or three days on the then F15 machine that
wouldn't boot to Gnome for love nor money, and it did seem user-friendly.

One reason I didn't try longer was that I need to get familiar
with some distro, preferably an rpm one, that has much less frequent
releases, and that I can introduce my wife to, so that when I'm gone, she
won't face a choice between Fedora and what Kipling'd've called Lesser
Breeds Without the Linux. This seemed a good time and a good machine on
which to give SL a long hard try.

But I may yet try shifting the next most expendable machine to an
Xfce spin if F15, or even a KDE4 one. Can you run Gnome apps in Xfce?

Joe Zeff 06-01-2011 09:29 PM

Another failure

On 06/01/2011 01:59 PM, BeartoothHOS wrote:
> But I may yet try shifting the next most expendable machine to an
> Xfce spin if F15, or even a KDE4 one. Can you run Gnome apps in Xfce?

Yes. Yum will pull in whatever parts of Gnome are needed when you
install a Gnome app, as long as the dependencies are properly listed.