Old 05-31-2011, 08:34 PM
Joe Zeff

Default F15 doesn't believe my hardware clock uses local time

On 05/31/2011 01:26 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Before I begin a long and painful adventure in pulling apart with what's
> happening with systemd/initscripts, anyone has any clues where I should
> look?

The next few times you boot, go into your BIOS and make sure the time's
right there. And, if the hardware clock's running slow, it may be a
sign that your CMOS battery needs replacing. Modern computers are
designed that way so that you can know when it's low and replace it
before it dies completely. It's probably not an issue here, but it's
good to know about in general.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:00 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Joe Zeff writes:

On 05/31/2011 01:26 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Before I begin a long and painful adventure in pulling apart with what's
> happening with systemd/initscripts, anyone has any clues where I should
> look?

The next few times you boot, go into your BIOS and make sure the time's
right there. And, if the hardware clock's running slow, it may be a
sign that your CMOS battery needs replacing. Modern computers are
designed that way so that you can know when it's low and replace it
before it dies completely. It's probably not an issue here, but it's
good to know about in general.

It would be rather strange if a low cmos battery would result in the
hardware clock being slow exactly by exactly four hours, no more, no less,
on every boot, no matter how much time has elapsed between boots - anywhere
between five minutes and sixteen hours - and despite the fact that the
laptop's been on the mains power all the time, and wouldn't be drawing the
CMOS battery at all.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:15 PM
Tom Horsley

On Tue, 31 May 2011 16:26:21 -0400
Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> Before I begin a long and painful adventure in pulling apart with what's
> happening with systemd/initscripts, anyone has any clues where I should look?

Check /etc/adjtime, it should say LOCAL, not UTC. You can also run
hwclock --localtime to resync the hardware clock to local time.

I just went through this with a Windows dual boot system, and I could
swear I didn't say clock uses UTC when I installed, but maybe I
did out of reflex.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:32 PM
Joe Zeff

On 05/31/2011 02:00 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> It would be rather strange if a low cmos battery would result in the
> hardware clock being slow exactly by exactly four hours,

It would indeed, which is why I pointed out that it's probably not an
issue here. I would like to point out, however, that your CMOS isn't
working on AC power when it's turned off, even if it's plugged in.