Old 05-31-2011, 07:06 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

Default ddclient in systemd

Anyone have a recipe for running ddclient (updates dynamic DNS info)
from systemd? The current version is written for the classic init
system. Can I just install it that way?

poc

Old 05-31-2011, 07:38 PM
Pasha R

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 10:06 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone have a recipe for running ddclient (updates dynamic DNS info)
> from systemd? The current version is written for the classic init
> system. Can I just install it that way?
>
> poc

I think 'chkconfig ddclient on" should work. Also, in
/usr/share/doc/ddclient-3.8.0/ they have some sample scripts that,
when put in right place (it depends on your connection type) will
refresh your address whenever it is changed. There is also file
/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/50-ddclient which probably invokes it
when address changed by NetworkManager, but I have no idea how it
works.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:04 PM
suvayu ali

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone have a recipe for running ddclient (updates dynamic DNS info)
> from systemd? The current version is written for the classic init
> system. Can I just install it that way?

Doesn't this work?

# systemctl enable ddclient.service

systemd is backwards compatible with SysVinit. There should be no
issues as far as I am aware.

--
Suvayu

Old 06-01-2011, 02:59 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Tue, 2011-05-31 at 22:38 +0300, Pasha R wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 10:06 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Anyone have a recipe for running ddclient (updates dynamic DNS info)
> > from systemd? The current version is written for the classic init
> > system. Can I just install it that way?
> >
> > poc
>
> I think 'chkconfig ddclient on" should work. Also, in
> /usr/share/doc/ddclient-3.8.0/ they have some sample scripts that,
> when put in right place (it depends on your connection type) will
> refresh your address whenever it is changed. There is also file
> /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/50-ddclient which probably invokes it
> when address changed by NetworkManager, but I have no idea how it
> works.

As I say, that's basically the pre-systemd recipe, which may well work.
I was hoping for something more aligned with F15, but it's not a big
deal.

poc

Old 06-01-2011, 03:02 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Tue, 2011-05-31 at 15:04 -0700, suvayu ali wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Anyone have a recipe for running ddclient (updates dynamic DNS info)
> > from systemd? The current version is written for the classic init
> > system. Can I just install it that way?
> >

> Doesn't this work?
>
> # systemctl enable ddclient.service
>
> systemd is backwards compatible with SysVinit. There should be no
> issues as far as I am aware.

$ sudo systemctl enable ddclient.service
ddclient.service is not a native service, redirecting to /sbin/chkconfig.
Executing /sbin/chkconfig ddclient on

Since "chkconfig ddclient on" is what I did anyway (a la F14) I guess it
must be right.

poc

Old 06-01-2011, 03:24 AM
Rahul Sundaram

> As I say, that's basically the pre-systemd recipe, which may well work.
> I was hoping for something more aligned with F15, but it's not a big
> deal.

This was never the goal for Fedora 15. There are dozens and dozens of
packages with init scripts. Only a small amount has been converted as
noted in http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Systemd. Since systemd is
backward compatible (along with hooks into service and chkconfig
commands) with init scripts, there isn't a requirement to change
everything in single step. One of the Fedora 16 efforts is to convert
rest of the packages to use native systemd unit files. Follow progress at

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SysVtoSystemd

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Johannbg/QA/Systemd/compatability

Rahul

Old 06-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Pasha R

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 5:59 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-05-31 at 22:38 +0300, Pasha R wrote:
>> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 10:06 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
>> <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Anyone have a recipe for running ddclient (updates dynamic DNS info)
>> > from systemd? The current version is written for the classic init
>> > system. Can I just install it that way?
>> >
>> > poc
>>
>> I think 'chkconfig ddclient on" should work. Also, in
>> /usr/share/doc/ddclient-3.8.0/ they have some sample scripts that,
>> when put in right place (it depends on your connection type) will
>> refresh your address whenever it is changed. There is also file
>> /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/50-ddclient which probably invokes it
>> when address changed by NetworkManager, but I have no idea how it
>> works.
>
> As I say, that's basically the pre-systemd recipe, which may well work.
> I was hoping for something more aligned with F15, but it's not a big
> deal.

systemctl actually uses chkconfig for pre-systemd services, so it is
aligned pretty well with F15