Old 05-31-2011, 05:24 PM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

Default Not enough info, so no point

For my PC

Fedora 15 update fails

Fedora 15 install CD fails to boot

Fedora 15 Live KDE fails to boot

All fail to finish initialising hardware.

smolt page :
http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_4917245b-ea15-44b1-ae4d-788c70a5a3d9

Result : I shall not be updating to Fedora 15 any time soon

I provide this information reluctantly based on my previous experience
posting to this community, which laughingly suggests it provides
assistance, encouragement, and advice.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:54 PM
JD

On 05/31/11 10:24, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> For my PC
>
> Fedora 15 update fails
>
> Fedora 15 install CD fails to boot
>
> Fedora 15 Live KDE fails to boot
>
> All fail to finish initialising hardware.
>
> smolt page :
> http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_4917245b-ea15-44b1-ae4d-788c70a5a3d9
>
> Result : I shall not be updating to Fedora 15 any time soon
>
> I provide this information reluctantly based on my previous experience
> posting to this community, which laughingly suggests it provides
> assistance, encouragement, and advice.
You are not the only one who has seen the responses
of jaded individuals. They are just tired of seeing reports
of problems without the type of supporting information
that THEY would have liked to see.
It happens to everyone after some years of seeing so
many problem reports.
So my advice is for you to develop a thicker skin and
ignore them. Keep posting your problem along with
more information such as messages in /var/log/messages
which might shed some light on the nature of the
problem you are facing. Ultimately, someone will have
the insight and be able to provide help.
From my experience with this list, there really are
not that many people on this list that post solutions
to people's problems. So, have patience.

My $.02's worth: have you tested your CD/DVD drive
for flaws or other problems? WHat about the burned
CDs DVDs. Did you run the sanity check on them?
Anaconda has that built-in when you boot from the
Fedora installation CDs and DVDs.

Cheers,

JD

Old 05-31-2011, 07:17 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Tue, 31 May 2011 18:24:40 +0100
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930" <n2xssvv.g02gfr12930@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> For my PC
>
> Fedora 15 update fails
>
> Fedora 15 install CD fails to boot
>
> Fedora 15 Live KDE fails to boot
>
> All fail to finish initialising hardware.
>
> smolt page :
> http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_4917245b-ea15-44b1-ae4d-788c70a5a3d9
>
> Result : I shall not be updating to Fedora 15 any time soon

Sorry to hear it.

First: Do you wish to try and solve the above and/or get it tracked
down so it can get fixed or others don't run into it?

If not, sorry it didn't work out.

If so, would you be willing to provide more information?
I'd be happy to walk you through what to gather.

kevin

Old 05-31-2011, 08:11 PM
Joe Zeff

On 05/31/2011 10:54 AM, JD wrote:
> Keep posting your problem along with
> more information such as messages in /var/log/messages
> which might shed some light on the nature of the
> problem you are facing.

Exactly. Just claiming that it's impossible to upgrade from F14 to F15
(Especially, I might add, when there are tens of thousands of
counter-examples.) and ignoring all the suggestions made as to how to
get us the information needed to help you isn't going to get you any
help. If you want the members of this list to give you help, you have
to give them the information they need so that they can (maybe) figure
out what went wrong. Posting your smolt profile is probably the only
substantive information you've offered, but you expect us to pull a
solution to your upgrade woes out of a hat.

And, you also have to remember that you're not paying for this
assistance. Those of us reading this list are offering help *for free*
because we want to. There's nothing in the world compelling us to help
people who won't cooperate, so next time you ask for assistance, leave
your "I'm entitled to this" attitude at the door.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:25 PM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

On 05/31/2011 09:11 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 05/31/2011 10:54 AM, JD wrote:
>> Keep posting your problem along with
>> more information such as messages in /var/log/messages
>> which might shed some light on the nature of the
>> problem you are facing.
>
> Exactly. Just claiming that it's impossible to upgrade from F14 to F15
> (Especially, I might add, when there are tens of thousands of
> counter-examples.) and ignoring all the suggestions made as to how to
> get us the information needed to help you isn't going to get you any
> help. If you want the members of this list to give you help, you have
> to give them the information they need so that they can (maybe) figure
> out what went wrong. Posting your smolt profile is probably the only
> substantive information you've offered, but you expect us to pull a
> solution to your upgrade woes out of a hat.
>
> And, you also have to remember that you're not paying for this
> assistance. Those of us reading this list are offering help *for free*
> because we want to. There's nothing in the world compelling us to help
> people who won't cooperate, so next time you ask for assistance, leave
> your "I'm entitled to this" attitude at the door.

Sorry to say this, but after some of the jaded comments you've made in
the past I don't hold you in high regard.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:35 PM
Timothy Murphy

n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:

> For my PC
>
> Fedora 15 update fails
>
> Fedora 15 install CD fails to boot
>
> Fedora 15 Live KDE fails to boot
>
> All fail to finish initialising hardware.

If I had had your experience
(and I have had much worse, though not with Fedora-15)
I would probably try:

1. Try to install in text mode.
(My guess would be that your problem is with the graphics driver.)
I'm not sure if text mode is explicitly offered any more,
as it used to be?

[If I could find no other way, and had Fedora-14 on the machine,
I would abstract vmlinuz and initrd.img from the Fedora-15 DVD ISO
(by running " mount -o loop Fedora...iso /mnt")
copy them to /boot and add a stanza to grub.conf to call them
with a line like "kernel /vmlinuz text",
or else run grub interactively.]

2. Try the Fedora-15 netinstall CD.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 06-01-2011, 12:23 AM
Joe Zeff

On 05/31/2011 04:25 PM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> Sorry to say this, but after some of the jaded comments you've made in
> the past I don't hold you in high regard.

*Shrug!* That's your privilege.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:33 AM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

On 05/31/2011 08:17 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Tue, 31 May 2011 18:24:40 +0100
> "n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"<n2xssvv.g02gfr12930@ntlworld .com> wrote:
>
>> For my PC
>>
>> Fedora 15 update fails
>>
>> Fedora 15 install CD fails to boot
>>
>> Fedora 15 Live KDE fails to boot
>>
>> All fail to finish initialising hardware.
>>
>> smolt page :
>> http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_4917245b-ea15-44b1-ae4d-788c70a5a3d9
>>
>> Result : I shall not be updating to Fedora 15 any time soon
>
> Sorry to hear it.
>
> First: Do you wish to try and solve the above and/or get it tracked
> down so it can get fixed or others don't run into it?
>
> If not, sorry it didn't work out.
>
> If so, would you be willing to provide more information?
> I'd be happy to walk you through what to gather.
>
> kevin

Let me assure you I have tried many of the suggestions without success.
Secondly I've already spend ~3 days on this with little or no progress
and a lot of jaded responses of no help at all. As I have made clear, my
confidence that this will get fixed, and Fedora, is beginning to evaporate.

Sure I'd like to get it fixed, but having worked in support, and repair
myself, I know that without a repeatable fault it's nigh on impossible
to fix. Also I started on Fedora core 2 and have been sorting my
problems and upgrading along the way, so I don't appreciate jaded
comments of the sort suggesting I'm some sort of arrogant idiot.

Please do not come out with, "we do this for free" as an excuse for
making jaded comments, that response will lose you a lot of respect from
myself, and I already know that thank you!

It appears this community is the place to look for assistance, and
currently I'm not enjoying the experience, although I will reluctantly
put up more information as I gather it. But currently I reckon waiting
to try Fedora 16 is the best I can hope for.

My recommendation before trying to install/upgrade any version of Fedora
is to try one of the live CDs first.

Current position

-------------------------------------

I have reverted back to Fedora 14, as I want/need a working PC

I am unwilling to try another install/upgrade after 2 failures, (it's a
long process), it will have to be the Live CD

After trying an upgrade I could not get consistent faults, not useful

I created Fedora 15 install/rescue dvd, checking the signatures

I did try kernel parameters like noapic to no avail

My DVD burner works fine thank you

It is not possible to get log files if you can't boot

Using Fedora 14 rescue DVD after initial upgrade it appeared the
install had become corrupted, (could not see my home directory)

I have little respect for anybody that makes jaded comments or no
further useful suggestions

Currently the most consistent fault is the hardware fails to initialise
before eventually showing some error stack trace, (I'm IT savvy and
understand this better than you may think), and will note some of it
down in due course

At some point I will be changing my motherboard/graphics card, not sure
when yet, and I have done this before with Linux installed.

-------------------------------------

Please do not take any offence kevin, this is not aimed at folks like
you who try to be helpful.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:43 AM
Alex

What I don't get is if certain people are so jaded, why so they stick around? Like another person said, this is all done for free. Its not like people here are stuck to answerin questions 40 hours a week. If questions upset you, then hit the road. There's no reason for angry/jaded people to stick around here. It makes no sense.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:44 AM
JD

On 05/31/11 16:25, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> Sorry to say this, but after some of the jaded comments you've made in
> the past I don't hold you in high regard.
I have been seeing a lot of complaints about F15.
This tells me that this release was made in too much
of a hurry (only ~6 months after release of F14 around
near mid Nov. 2010).
Seems to me not enough testing was done before release.
Let's hope F16 will be more solid.