Old 05-31-2011, 01:46 PM
"antonio.montagnani@alice.it"

Default R: F15- IMPORTANT Network Manager

14.53

Schwendt wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 May 2011 14:31:44 +0200, AM wrote:
>>
>>> This
morning updates of Network-Manager1.0899.3.git20110526 killed all
>>> networks,
no way to connect any more, I had to downgrade to previous
>>> versions

Apparently, there are major issues for users. Just look up the update
>> ticket
in bodhi and the bugzilla ticket(s).

>I had to remove /etc/sysconfig/network-
scripts/ifcfg-Auto* then re-start
>NetWorkManager. This solved the problem I
saw after pre-upgrade F14->F15.

>--
>Tim Evans, TKEvans.com, Inc. | 5
Chestnut Court
>UNIX System Admin Consulting | Owings Mills, MD 21117
>http://www.tkevans.com/ | 443-394-3864
>http://www.come-here.com/News/| tkevans@tkevans.com
>--
>users mailing
list
>users@lists.fedoraproject.org

surprising that nobody removed package from repo, causing problems to
everybody updating!!!! and for a newbie can be a very big problem, unless
Fedora is for geek

Old 05-31-2011, 09:09 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Tue, 31 May 2011 15:46:00 +0200 (CEST), AMI wrote:

> surprising that nobody removed package from repo, causing problems to
> everybody updating!!!! and for a newbie can be a very big problem, unless
> Fedora is for geek

It is not a problem for "everybody".

Whether NM fails or continues to work is configuration dependent. In this
case, the very limited testing has been entirely insufficient. Fedora will
need to find ways how to improve in this area. It should not be possible
for so few people to rush out a critical path update.

My primary machine is not affected either, for example, but if I had been
given a chance to try out the NM update while it was sitting in
updates-testing for just four hours, I would not have given it a +1 in
bodhi because the update touches more features than what I would have
tested.

No comment on removing released so-called "stable" packages from a repo,
since I think it would be fruitless to discuss that on this list.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:23 PM
antonio montagnani

Michael Schwendt ha scritto / said the following il giorno/on
31/05/2011 23:09:
> On Tue, 31 May 2011 15:46:00 +0200 (CEST), AMI wrote:
>
>> surprising that nobody removed package from repo, causing problems to
>> everybody updating!!!! and for a newbie can be a very big problem, unless
>> Fedora is for geek
>

> It is not a problem for "everybody".
>
> Whether NM fails or continues to work is configuration dependent. In this
> case, the very limited testing has been entirely insufficient. Fedora will
> need to find ways how to improve in this area. It should not be possible
> for so few people to rush out a critical path update.
>
> My primary machine is not affected either, for example, but if I had been
> given a chance to try out the NM update while it was sitting in
> updates-testing for just four hours, I would not have given it a +1 in
> bodhi because the update touches more features than what I would have
> tested.
>
> No comment on removing released so-called "stable" packages from a repo,
> since I think it would be fruitless to discuss that on this list.

I agree with you that some improvement is needed in this area, as broken
network services can remove the affected computer from the Internet,
i.e. no available updates, no mail, that may be a problem especially for
unexperienced users that are moving to Fedora with no close assistance
(I am thinking to a friend of mine that is living in a very small valley
on the Alps with no other Fedora user nearby). I understand that
affected machines had some stuff in the network script, in my case 3G
modem, that is not so uncommon nowadays.
My two cents...anyway tnx to all Fedora developers: Lovelock is great

--
Antonio M
Skype: amontag52

Linux Fedora F15 (Lovelock) on Acer 5720

http://lugsaronno.altervista.org
www.campingmonterosa.com
www.studiodacolpaloschi.it