Old 05-31-2011, 12:05 AM
john wendel

Default "hald" just won't die

I just did an F15 LXDE install on an old laptop (incidently, best
install I've ever done, bravo LXDE quys).

Now I see 9 processes with "hald" in their name, and 3 processes named
"udevd" running. I thought hal was supposed to be gone. I also see
udisk-daemon and hald-addon-storage both polling /dev/sr0.

This is a really low-end laptop, can I get rid of any of the hal stuff?

Thanks

John

Old 05-31-2011, 12:16 AM
Ed Greshko

On 05/31/2011 08:05 AM, john wendel wrote:
> I just did an F15 LXDE install on an old laptop (incidently, best
> install I've ever done, bravo LXDE quys).
>
> Now I see 9 processes with "hald" in their name, and 3 processes named
> "udevd" running. I thought hal was supposed to be gone. I also see
> udisk-daemon and hald-addon-storage both polling /dev/sr0.
>
> This is a really low-end laptop, can I get rid of any of the hal stuff?

I have 3 systems running F15, none of them with LXDE, and none of them
have the "hal" package installed. If I were in your shoes I would first
do "yum erase hal" and see what/if it offers to remove other packages as
depending on hal.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:15 AM
john wendel

On 05/30/2011 05:16 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 05/31/2011 08:05 AM, john wendel wrote:
>> I just did an F15 LXDE install on an old laptop (incidently, best
>> install I've ever done, bravo LXDE quys).
>>
>> Now I see 9 processes with "hald" in their name, and 3 processes named
>> "udevd" running. I thought hal was supposed to be gone. I also see
>> udisk-daemon and hald-addon-storage both polling /dev/sr0.
>>
>> This is a really low-end laptop, can I get rid of any of the hal stuff?
>>

> I have 3 systems running F15, none of them with LXDE, and none of them
> have the "hal" package installed. If I were in your shoes I would first
> do "yum erase hal" and see what/if it offers to remove other packages as
> depending on hal.

Good suggestion. I tried it, and it looks like LXDE is still built using
HAL; yum wanted to erase lxde-common and pcmanfm. Oh well, I've been
meaning to try fluxbox, now I have a good excuse.

Thanks for the help.

John