Old 05-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Frank Murphy

Default Yum update from Fedora 14 -> 15

On 30/05/11 18:44, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:

> OK, folks I have just reinstalled Fedora 14, (KDE minimal and working),
> updated, (working) , then upgraded to Fedora 15 and it still fails
> completely.

What happens?

Based on this experience I'm loathe to recommend Fedora 15,
> and I suspect that even a Fedora 15 DVD install will give the same
> result. Even worse my Fedora 14 rescue DVD has been of no use either.

What does F14 resuce give you?

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Old 05-30-2011, 06:35 PM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

On 30/05/11 18:50, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 30/05/11 18:44, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>
>> OK, folks I have just reinstalled Fedora 14, (KDE minimal and working),
>> updated, (working) , then upgraded to Fedora 15 and it still fails
>> completely.
>
> What happens?
>
> Based on this experience I'm loathe to recommend Fedora 15,
>> and I suspect that even a Fedora 15 DVD install will give the same
>> result. Even worse my Fedora 14 rescue DVD has been of no use either.
>
> What does F14 resuce give you?

The yum upgrade from the minimal Fedora 14 KDE ran smoothly, (no
conflicts or removals). Unfortunately on rebooting I cannot boot at all,
(inittab 3 or 5), and when I just tried the Fedora 14 rescue DVD, that
failed as well!! Currently I can only suspect that the SELinux
permissions update are not being completed properly on reboot. So
perhaps a Fedora 15 DVD install and update will work.

As I've said elsewhere I will be avoiding Fedora 15 until I can find a
reliable method of installing/upgrading that works. Hence my laptop, (in
use now), will continue to run Fedora 14. Also I have successfully
upgraded via yum Fedora 10 -> 11 -> 12 -> 13 -> 14, (and never had this
big a problem).

Based on my experience, even with a minimal Fedora 14 installation, I
cannot recommend trying to upgrade Fedora 14 -> 15 via yum.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:37 PM
Frank Murphy

On 30/05/11 19:35, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
<snip>

> Based on my experience, even with a minimal Fedora 14 installation, I
> cannot recommend trying to upgrade Fedora 14 -> 15 via yum.

what size boot partition do you have on the laptop?

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Old 05-30-2011, 07:01 PM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

On 30/05/11 19:37, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 30/05/11 19:35, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> Based on my experience, even with a minimal Fedora 14 installation, I
>> cannot recommend trying to upgrade Fedora 14 -> 15 via yum.
>>

> what size boot partition do you have on the laptop?

The same 200Mb,(1Tb drive on desktop, 500Gb on laptop ), as I had for
Fedora 14, which worked fine. Please note my current theory is that
SELinux permissions are changed, and the reboot to the Fedora 15 kernel
does not properly update them.

Please see my other posts, I have to congratulate the Fedora team for 8+
years of mostly relatively problem free Linux!

HTH

cpp4ever

Old 05-30-2011, 07:08 PM
Patrick Lists

On 05/30/2011 08:35 PM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> As I've said elsewhere I will[snip]
>
> Based on my experience,[snip]

Your continued repeating of your anti-F15 "recommendations" and the lack
of actual technical information and/or screenshots other than it did not
work makes you look like a troll. A quick google for your email address
shows you had similar "recommendations" when your upgrade to Fedora 12
failed. Seems you are the only person in the universe that just can not
make those upgrades work again and again and then recommends that others
not upgrade because your upgrade failed for unknown reasons.

How about you stop with your imo baseless "recommendations" and start
providing detailed technical information and screenshots to those who
asked for them so they can help you find the issue and possibly fix it?

Or are you just a troll spreading FUD?

Patrick

Old 05-30-2011, 07:14 PM
Frank Murphy

On 30/05/11 19:35, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
<snip>

> Based on my experience, even with a minimal Fedora 14 installation, I
> cannot recommend trying to upgrade Fedora 14 -> 15 via yum.

Know that there will be people here to give a hand when your ready.

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Old 05-30-2011, 07:16 PM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

On 30/05/11 20:08, Patrick Lists wrote:
> On 05/30/2011 08:35 PM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>> As I've said elsewhere I will[snip]
>>
>> Based on my experience,[snip]
>
> Your continued repeating of your anti-F15 "recommendations" and the lack
> of actual technical information and/or screenshots other than it did not
> work makes you look like a troll. A quick google for your email address
> shows you had similar "recommendations" when your upgrade to Fedora 12
> failed. Seems you are the only person in the universe that just can not
> make those upgrades work again and again and then recommends that others
> not upgrade because your upgrade failed for unknown reasons.
>
> How about you stop with your imo baseless "recommendations" and start
> providing detailed technical information and screenshots to those who
> asked for them so they can help you find the issue and possibly fix it?
>
> Or are you just a troll spreading FUD?
>
> Patrick

How to collect technical information when Fedora 15 fails to boot? I
have since tried again with a similar result, (see other posts). If the
positions are ever reversed I will be sympathetic to Patrick and not a
FUD spreading Troll.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Mon, 30 May 2011 20:16:09 +0100, NG wrote:

> How to collect technical information when Fedora 15 fails to boot?

To check whether your theory of SELinux problems could be true, try
booting with the enforcing=0 kernel arg.

Descriptions such as "cannot boot at all" are useless, because certainly
you could mention a few details about what parts of the boot process
work, what is displayed on screen (possibly by leaving the graphical
booter with ESC), and where it stops unexpectedly.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:33 AM
Timothy Murphy

n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:

> The yum upgrade from the minimal Fedora 14 KDE ran smoothly, (no
> conflicts or removals). Unfortunately on rebooting I cannot boot at all,
> (inittab 3 or 5), and when I just tried the Fedora 14 rescue DVD, that
> failed as well!!

I'm probably being a bit slow, but what exactly do you mean
by "yum upgrade"?
What commands do you give?
I find it quite difficult to work out exactly what you are doing.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 06-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Javier Perez

Actually, that would be selinux=0, instead of enforcing=0

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2011 20:16:09 +0100, NG wrote:

> How to collect technical information when Fedora 15 fails to boot?

To check whether your theory of SELinux problems could be true, try

booting with the *enforcing=0 *kernel arg.

Descriptions such as "cannot boot at all" are useless, because certainly

you could mention a few details about what parts of the boot process

work, what is displayed on screen (possibly by leaving the graphical

booter with ESC), and where it stops unexpectedly.

*/\_/**
*|O O|* pepebuho@gmail.com
*~~~~ * * Javier Perez
*~~~~* * * * * While the night runs