-   -   Yum update from Fedora 14 -> 15 WARNING! UPDATE (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/532589-yum-update-fedora-14-15-warning-update.html)

"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930" 05-30-2011 05:44 PM

On 30/05/11 09:11, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:

> To anyone trying to upgrade from Fedora 14 to Fedora 15, DON'T EVEN
> TRY!!! I've just tried and have had numerous problems, finally resulting
> in being unable to boot up any kernel version at all, using inittab mode
> 1,3, or 5. In view of this it appears I will have to reinstall Fedora 14.
>
> cpp4ever

OK, folks I have just reinstalled Fedora 14, (KDE minimal and working),
updated, (working) , then upgraded to Fedora 15 and it still fails
completely. Based on this experience I'm loathe to recommend Fedora 15,
and I suspect that even a Fedora 15 DVD install will give the same
result. Even worse my Fedora 14 rescue DVD has been of no use either.

Kevin Fenzi 05-30-2011 05:47 PM

Yum update from Fedora 14 -> 15 WARNING! UPDATE

On Mon, 30 May 2011 18:44:01 +0100
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930" <n2xssvv.g02gfr12930@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On 30/05/11 09:11, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> >
> > To anyone trying to upgrade from Fedora 14 to Fedora 15, DON'T EVEN
> > TRY!!! I've just tried and have had numerous problems, finally
> > resulting in being unable to boot up any kernel version at all,
> > using inittab mode 1,3, or 5. In view of this it appears I will
> > have to reinstall Fedora 14.
> >
> > cpp4ever
> >

> OK, folks I have just reinstalled Fedora 14, (KDE minimal and
> working), updated, (working) , then upgraded to Fedora 15 and it
> still fails completely. Based on this experience I'm loathe to
> recommend Fedora 15, and I suspect that even a Fedora 15 DVD install
> will give the same result. Even worse my Fedora 14 rescue DVD has
> been of no use either.

Can you please expand on 'fails completely' ?

I just did 2 updates yesterday with no problems at all.

kevin

"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930" 05-30-2011 06:20 PM

On 30/05/11 18:47, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Mon, 30 May 2011 18:44:01 +0100
> "n2xssvv.g02gfr12930" <n2xssvv.g02gfr12930@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> On 30/05/11 09:11, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>>>
>>> To anyone trying to upgrade from Fedora 14 to Fedora 15, DON'T EVEN
>>> TRY!!! I've just tried and have had numerous problems, finally
>>> resulting in being unable to boot up any kernel version at all,
>>> using inittab mode 1,3, or 5. In view of this it appears I will
>>> have to reinstall Fedora 14.
>>>
>>> cpp4ever
>>>

>> OK, folks I have just reinstalled Fedora 14, (KDE minimal and
>> working), updated, (working) , then upgraded to Fedora 15 and it
>> still fails completely. Based on this experience I'm loathe to
>> recommend Fedora 15, and I suspect that even a Fedora 15 DVD install
>> will give the same result. Even worse my Fedora 14 rescue DVD has
>> been of no use either.
>
> Can you please expand on 'fails completely' ?
>
> I just did 2 updates yesterday with no problems at all.
>
> kevin

Failed completely means I cannot even boot to a console, (inittab 3).
Currently I'm trying to boot the last Fedora 14 kernel and it's having
to do some SELinux filesystem update. So the next thing to try is to
install from a Fedora 15 install DVD. Just for the record the yum Fedora
14 -> 15 upgrade for the minimal install ran faultlessly, no conflicts
or package removals.

The only other thing that maybe affecting things is there are other
partitions and drives. But that should not be a problem, although I may
try again with just the one drive.

Having upgraded using yum Fedora 10 -> 14 incrementally without this
problem, I'm somewhat concerned. Bottom line, trying to upgrade to
Fedora 15 via yum is inherently risky and I cannot recommend people try
it, based on my experience. So for now my laptop is going to stay with
Fedora 14 install until I can gain some confidence installing Fedora 15
on my Desktop.

cpp4ever

Kevin Fenzi 05-30-2011 06:26 PM

Yum update from Fedora 14 -> 15 WARNING! UPDATE

On Mon, 30 May 2011 19:20:55 +0100
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930" <n2xssvv.g02gfr12930@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Failed completely means I cannot even boot to a console, (inittab 3).

ok. What are the messages on the screen when this fails?
Screenshot?

> Currently I'm trying to boot the last Fedora 14 kernel and it's having
> to do some SELinux filesystem update. So the next thing to try is to
> install from a Fedora 15 install DVD. Just for the record the yum
> Fedora 14 -> 15 upgrade for the minimal install ran faultlessly, no
> conflicts or package removals.
>
> The only other thing that maybe affecting things is there are other
> partitions and drives. But that should not be a problem, although I
> may try again with just the one drive.
>
> Having upgraded using yum Fedora 10 -> 14 incrementally without this
> problem, I'm somewhat concerned. Bottom line, trying to upgrade to
> Fedora 15 via yum is inherently risky and I cannot recommend people
> try it, based on my experience. So for now my laptop is going to stay
> with Fedora 14 install until I can gain some confidence installing
> Fedora 15 on my Desktop.

Sure, your choice. There's clearly some bug or issue here and we want
to get to the bottom of it, but just as clearly it doesn't affect
everyone.

kevin

Joe Zeff 05-30-2011 06:31 PM

On 05/30/2011 10:44 AM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> Based on this experience I'm loathe to recommend Fedora 15,
> and I suspect that even a Fedora 15 DVD install will give the same
> result.

Going from a specific example to a general rule is called "inductive
reasoning," and it's generally a Good Thing. Coming to the conclusion
that Fedora 15 Just Doesn't Work from a sample of one computer,
especially as there are tens of thousands (at least) of counter
examples, simply isn't justified. I'm sure that there are a large
number of people on this list ready and willing to help you (and more at
fedoraforum.org) but you're going to have to cut back on the hysteria
and give us some details. HTH, HAND.

Frank Murphy 05-30-2011 06:35 PM

On 30/05/11 19:26, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Mon, 30 May 2011 19:20:55 +0100
> "n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"<n2xssvv.g02gfr12930@ntlworld .com> wrote:
<snip>

> Sure, your choice. There's clearly some bug or issue here and we want
> to get to the bottom of it, but just as clearly it doesn't affect
> everyone.
>
> kevin

I would also recommend dowloading an F15 netinstall.iso
see if you can boot from that
if yes,
then "rescue installed system"

if you let ue, we can guide you through this.

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930" 05-30-2011 06:49 PM

On 30/05/11 19:31, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 05/30/2011 10:44 AM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>> Based on this experience I'm loathe to recommend Fedora 15,
>> and I suspect that even a Fedora 15 DVD install will give the same
>> result.
>
> Going from a specific example to a general rule is called "inductive
> reasoning," and it's generally a Good Thing. Coming to the conclusion
> that Fedora 15 Just Doesn't Work from a sample of one computer,
> especially as there are tens of thousands (at least) of counter
> examples, simply isn't justified. I'm sure that there are a large
> number of people on this list ready and willing to help you (and more at
> fedoraforum.org) but you're going to have to cut back on the hysteria
> and give us some details. HTH, HAND.

And I wish anybody luck trying to upgrade. But having successfully
upgraded Fedora 10 -> 11 -> 12 -> 13 -> 14 without this big a problem I
think others should be warned. In fact since I started using Fedora core
2, most problems I've been able handle, (except at least one I created
due to stupidity). That's over 8 years, and congratulations to the
Fedora teams that have made that possible, but this time something
appears to have failed in my case. If you consider my response as
hysteria, so be it.

cpp4ever

"Mikkel L. Ellertson" 05-30-2011 06:52 PM

On 05/30/2011 01:20 PM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:

> Failed completely means I cannot even boot to a console, (inittab 3).
> Currently I'm trying to boot the last Fedora 14 kernel and it's having
> to do some SELinux filesystem update. So the next thing to try is to
> install from a Fedora 15 install DVD. Just for the record the yum Fedora
> 14 -> 15 upgrade for the minimal install ran faultlessly, no conflicts
> or package removals.
>
> The only other thing that maybe affecting things is there are other
> partitions and drives. But that should not be a problem, although I may
> try again with just the one drive.
>
> Having upgraded using yum Fedora 10 -> 14 incrementally without this
> problem, I'm somewhat concerned. Bottom line, trying to upgrade to
> Fedora 15 via yum is inherently risky and I cannot recommend people try
> it, based on my experience. So for now my laptop is going to stay with
> Fedora 14 install until I can gain some confidence installing Fedora 15
> on my Desktop.
>
> cpp4ever

Having more then one drive can be a problem, depending on if the
drive mapping is the same when you boot from a CD/DVD as when you
boot from a hard drive. It can also be a problem with a yum upgrade
if the Grub drive map does not match your system.

I have seen the first stage boot loader get installed to the wrong
drive, and I have seen the first stage look for the next stage on
the wrong drive.

It would help to know if you get the Grub menu screen and then it
gets stuck, or if you can not even get to the Grub menu screen.

Mikkel

Joe Zeff 05-30-2011 07:16 PM

On 05/30/2011 11:49 AM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> If you consider my response as
> hysteria, so be it.

Coming out of nowhere and saying that because the upgrade didn't work
for you on one machine it wouldn't work for anybody was, at the least, a
tad over-the-top, don't you think?

"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930" 05-30-2011 07:22 PM

On 30/05/11 19:52, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> On 05/30/2011 01:20 PM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>>
>> Failed completely means I cannot even boot to a console, (inittab 3).
>> Currently I'm trying to boot the last Fedora 14 kernel and it's having
>> to do some SELinux filesystem update. So the next thing to try is to
>> install from a Fedora 15 install DVD. Just for the record the yum Fedora
>> 14 -> 15 upgrade for the minimal install ran faultlessly, no conflicts
>> or package removals.
>>
>> The only other thing that maybe affecting things is there are other
>> partitions and drives. But that should not be a problem, although I may
>> try again with just the one drive.
>>
>> Having upgraded using yum Fedora 10 -> 14 incrementally without this
>> problem, I'm somewhat concerned. Bottom line, trying to upgrade to
>> Fedora 15 via yum is inherently risky and I cannot recommend people try
>> it, based on my experience. So for now my laptop is going to stay with
>> Fedora 14 install until I can gain some confidence installing Fedora 15
>> on my Desktop.
>>
>> cpp4ever
>
> Having more then one drive can be a problem, depending on if the
> drive mapping is the same when you boot from a CD/DVD as when you
> boot from a hard drive. It can also be a problem with a yum upgrade
> if the Grub drive map does not match your system.
>
> I have seen the first stage boot loader get installed to the wrong
> drive, and I have seen the first stage look for the next stage on
> the wrong drive.
>
> It would help to know if you get the Grub menu screen and then it
> gets stuck, or if you can not even get to the Grub menu screen.
>
> Mikkel

Grub works fine thanks Mikkel. Apparently I'm gaining the reputation of
being a FUD spreading Troll, so your response is appreciated.
Unfortunately, as I've tried to make clear in other posts, recovering
much technical information is not as simple as I'd like, and I've tried.

cpp4ever