Old 05-31-2011, 01:56 AM
Alex

Default Yum update from Fedora 14 -> 15 WARNING! UPDATE

So to confirm, what is the preferred method to upgrade? I usually update daily, so in F14 most likely I'd have the latest and greatest updates when I decided to move to F15. Do I just need to bite the bullet and do a clean install? On a clean install is it safe to keep your /home partition and only update the / partition?

Old 05-31-2011, 02:10 AM
Joe Zeff

On 05/30/2011 06:56 PM, Alex wrote:
> So to confirm, what is the preferred method to upgrade? I usually update daily, so in F14 most likely I'd have the latest and greatest updates when I decided to move to F15.

Same here. I've been using preupgrade since (I think) F11 with good
results.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:23 AM
Frank Murphy

On 31/05/11 03:10, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 05/30/2011 06:56 PM, Alex wrote:
>> So to confirm, what is the preferred method to upgrade?

Preupgrade is the officially supported method,
as it includes the updates repo during its calcualtions.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading
"Preupgrade"

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Old 05-31-2011, 07:26 AM
Alex

Thanks! I'm glad there is some form of an upgrade method. I've usually
just reformatted for other distros, but it's nice to have another
option.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:58 AM
Timothy Murphy

Alex wrote:

> So to confirm, what is the preferred method to upgrade? I usually update
> daily, so in F14 most likely I'd have the latest and greatest updates when
> I decided to move to F15. Do I just need to bite the bullet and do a
> clean install? On a clean install is it safe to keep your /home partition
> and only update the / partition?

I always keep separate /home and /boot partitions.
This has occasionally caused minor problems in the past,
but Fedora-14 to Fedora-15 was the simplest upgrade I remember.
I did both fresh install and upgrade, and both worked
without a single problem on very different computers.

I always keep Fedora up-to-date, and have never had any problem from this.
I'm sure the suggestion that you shouldn't update
if you are going to upgrade is misguided.
How long before an upgrade are you supposed to stop updating?

Nowadays I always keep a spare partition for a new installation
if I have enough space.
The installation always creates a new grub.conf but it saves the old
and I just add this to the new one (deleting duplicate material).

Incidentally, isn't it time the Fedora developers
gave up this passion for DVDs?
Does anyone burn DVDs to install Fedora today?
Half the new machines I see don't have DVD drives anyway.
Surely everyone has a big enough USB stick?
Why not be honest, and take that as the default?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 05-31-2011, 01:27 PM
Genes MailLists

On 05/31/2011 05:58 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I'm sure the suggestion that you shouldn't update
> if you are going to upgrade is misguided.
> How long before an upgrade are you supposed to stop updating?

To clarify, I believe the suggestion (by Michael) was to ensure that
the update repo is included as part of an upgrade to new version
(preupgrade does this) - not that one should not update your current distro.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:56 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Tue, 2011-05-31 at 02:26 -0500, Alex wrote:
> Thanks! I'm glad there is some form of an upgrade method. I've usually
> just reformatted for other distros, but it's nice to have another
> option.

Be warned, however, that preupgrade requires more than 512MB RAM (I
think 768MB is enough). After the reboot, the system hangs if there's
not enough memory. Rebooting again brings up the un-upgraded system.
The yum upgrade should work without booting to an installer, so should
work in limited memory.

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Old 05-31-2011, 05:33 PM
Joe Zeff

On 05/31/2011 02:58 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Incidentally, isn't it time the Fedora developers
> gave up this passion for DVDs?
> Does anyone burn DVDs to install Fedora today?
> Half the new machines I see don't have DVD drives anyway.
> Surely everyone has a big enough USB stick?
> Why not be honest, and take that as the default?

Not everybody has a brand-new machine. Not everybody even has one that
can boot off of USB. I can remember when Fedora stopped providing a CD
version and I didn't have a DVD drive. (Nor, I might add, the money to
buy one because they were still quite expensive.) I had to find a
third-party website that had broken the DVD up into CDs. Just because
you don't like DVDs doesn't mean that they (and CDs) aren't still
important to a large fraction of Fedora users.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:09 PM
Sam Sharpe

On 31 May 2011 18:33, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:
> On 05/31/2011 02:58 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Incidentally, isn't it time the Fedora developers
>> gave up this passion for DVDs?
>> Does anyone burn DVDs to install Fedora today?
>> Half the new machines I see don't have DVD drives anyway.
>> Surely everyone has a big enough USB stick?
>> Why not be honest, and take that as the default?
>>

> Not everybody has a brand-new machine. *Not everybody even has one that
> can boot off of USB. *I can remember when Fedora stopped providing a CD
> version and I didn't have a DVD drive. *(Nor, I might add, the money to
> buy one because they were still quite expensive.) *I had to find a
> third-party website that had broken the DVD up into CDs. *Just because
> you don't like DVDs doesn't mean that they (and CDs) aren't still
> important to a large fraction of Fedora users.

I think you'll find Timothy said "take that as the default", not "stop
releasing the DVD version". I for one would like more prominence to
the USB image and methods of creating it on the Fedora install pages,
just because a tleast two of the machines I generally install it on
don't have a CD/DVD drive (all of our Office machines lack them).

--
Sam

Old 05-31-2011, 08:13 PM
Joe Zeff

On 05/31/2011 11:09 AM, Sam Sharpe wrote:
> I for one would like more prominence to
> the USB image and methods of creating it on the Fedora install pages

Possibly the best option would be for them simply to add a USB image to
the list of downloads.