Old 05-30-2011, 07:28 PM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

Default Yum update from Fedora 14 -> 15 WARNING! UPDATE

On 30/05/11 20:16, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 05/30/2011 11:49 AM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>> If you consider my response as
>> hysteria, so be it.
>
> Coming out of nowhere and saying that because the upgrade didn't work
> for you on one machine it wouldn't work for anybody was, at the least, a
> tad over-the-top, don't you think?

Easy for you to say when you don't have the problem, and I wish you
never have a similar problem. Then I'd be interested to see your
response. In the meant time please see my other posts.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Joe Zeff

On 05/30/2011 12:28 PM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> Easy for you to say when you don't have the problem, and I wish you
> never have a similar problem. Then I'd be interested to see your
> response. In the meant time please see my other posts.

I've had problems with upgrades, installations and updates a few times.
Each time I did, I started out with the presumption that the trouble
was at my end, and not a system-wide failure of the distro in question.
Not once was I forced to change that assumption. And, because I
didn't start out by channeling Chicken Little, I was able to get all the
help I needed in a prompt and timely manor. HTH, HAND.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:17 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Mon, 30 May 2011 18:44:01 +0100, NG wrote:

> OK, folks I have just reinstalled Fedora 14, (KDE minimal and working),
> updated, (working) , then upgraded to Fedora 15 and it still fails
> completely.

Updating the F14 prior to upgrading it to F15 may be a mistake
already, given that F14 updates may be newer than F15 release. Do you
enable the "updates" network repo during F15 upgrade?

Old 05-30-2011, 08:19 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Mon, 30 May 2011 19:20:55 +0100, NG wrote:

> Failed completely means I cannot even boot to a console, (inittab 3).

F15 doesn't use inittab anymore, so what do you mean?
In case you refer to the kernel boot args, you would need to
read up on systemd run-level args.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:47 PM
suvayu ali

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 30 May 2011 19:20:55 +0100
> "n2xssvv.g02gfr12930" <n2xssvv.g02gfr12930@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> Failed completely means I cannot even boot to a console, (inittab 3).
>
> ok. What are the messages on the screen when this fails?
> Screenshot?

Maybe the OP is missing the fact that F15 uses systemd and not the old
SysVinit infrastructure?

This should help:

<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Systemd#Boot_Kernel_Command_Line>

--
Suvayu

Old 05-30-2011, 09:30 PM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

On 30/05/11 20:46, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 05/30/2011 12:28 PM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>> Easy for you to say when you don't have the problem, and I wish you
>> never have a similar problem. Then I'd be interested to see your
>> response. In the meant time please see my other posts.
>
> I've had problems with upgrades, installations and updates a few times.
> Each time I did, I started out with the presumption that the trouble
> was at my end, and not a system-wide failure of the distro in question.
> Not once was I forced to change that assumption. And, because I
> didn't start out by channeling Chicken Little, I was able to get all the
> help I needed in a prompt and timely manor. HTH, HAND.

Well, I could say the same, but this problem is an order of magnitude
more complicated than anything I have experienced using Fedora in 8+
years, is that chicken little?. Although some of the other responses
have made clear that some important underlying changes have been made
Fedora 14 -> 15, and any one of these could be the cause of my problem.
Therefore I cautiously recommend a fresh install of Fedora 15, rather
than trying a yum update, (which was my original warning), and this
makes updating my laptop a much more time consuming process. Your name
calling, whether it be Chicken Little, Hysteria, or whatever, certainly
doesn't help, or inspire confidence. Especially as you may well find
yourself with a similar order of magnitude type problem, and face
similar responses.

cpp4ever

Old 05-30-2011, 09:54 PM
Joe Zeff

On 05/30/2011 02:30 PM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> Well, I could say the same, but this problem is an order of magnitude
> more complicated than anything I have experienced using Fedora in 8+
> years, is that chicken little?.

Yes, it is. Starting out with the assumption that F15 is at fault --
not F15 Alpha, not F15 Beta or a Release Candidate, but the fully-tested
"ready for prime time" version of F15 -- instead of something at your
end is completely unrealistic. If there were something so badly wrong
with F15 that it wasn't ready to be installed on anybody's computer
without major risks, it would never have been released. And,
considering how many early adopters there are, this mailing list and the
support forum at fedoraforum.org would be jammed with reports of this
happening. They aren't. I'm not saying that this was caused by
anything you did wrong, because at present there's no evidence to
suggest that; in fact, there's an almost complete lack of evidence as to
just what happened, even though you've not only been asked for it,
you've been told how to collect it. Now, the only question is, do you
want help or do you just want to complain?

Old 05-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Sam Sharpe

On 30 May 2011 22:30, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930
<n2xssvv.g02gfr12930@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On 30/05/11 20:46, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> On 05/30/2011 12:28 PM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>>> Easy for you to say when you don't have the problem, and I wish you
>>> never have a similar problem. Then I'd be interested to see your
>>> response. In the meant time please see my other posts.
>>
>> I've had problems with upgrades, installations and updates a few times.
>> * Each time I did, I started out with the presumption that the trouble
>> was at my end, and not a system-wide failure of the distro in question.
>> * Not once was I forced to change that assumption. *And, because I
>> didn't start out by channeling Chicken Little, I was able to get all the
>> help I needed in a prompt and timely manor. *HTH, HAND.
>
> Well, I could say the same, but this problem is an order of magnitude
> more complicated than anything I have experienced using Fedora in 8+
> years, is that chicken little?. Although some of the other responses
> have made clear that some important underlying changes have been made
> Fedora 14 -> 15, and any one of these could be the cause of my problem.
> Therefore I cautiously recommend a fresh install of Fedora 15, rather
> than trying a yum update, (which was my original warning), and this
> makes updating my laptop a much more time consuming process. Your name
> calling, whether it be Chicken Little, Hysteria, or whatever, certainly
> doesn't help, or inspire confidence. Especially as you may well find
> yourself with a similar order of magnitude type problem, and face
> similar responses.

I still don't see you outlining your problem, other than it doesn't
boot. What doesn't boot, what have you treid to remedy this, what
troubleshooting steps have you followed, what appears on the screen.
These simple bits of information might help us to help you. What
you've said so far lacks technical details and contains a surfeit of
hyperbole. Hence the reception you are getting.

The world isn't ending, youe computer just isn't working and you don't
know how to fix it yourself. Help us to help you...

--
Sam

Old 05-31-2011, 12:40 AM
Timothy Murphy

Michael Schwendt wrote:

> Updating the F14 prior to upgrading it to F15 may be a mistake
> already, given that F14 updates may be newer than F15 release. Do you
> enable the "updates" network repo during F15 upgrade?

Is that true?
I thought I'd read somewhere that one should update the old system
before upgrading?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 05-31-2011, 01:00 AM
Genes MailLists

On 05/30/2011 08:40 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
>> Updating the F14 prior to upgrading it to F15 may be a mistake
>> already, given that F14 updates may be newer than F15 release. Do you
>> enable the "updates" network repo during F15 upgrade?
>
> Is that true?
> I thought I'd read somewhere that one should update the old system
> before upgrading?

yes, he (Michael) is correct - imagine an important update is available
but F15 has gone gold and is frozen - no prob it goes into F15 updates -
and its important so it goes into F14 as well ... now your F14 is ahead
of the released F15 ... until you run an update on F15 or include the
updates repo during the install/upgrade process.

At least that is my understanding.

The more time passes since the release the worse this problem may get
because there is no official re-spin of F15.

What I do - is use mock/pungi to build a fully updated DVD (personal
re-spin) and install from there ...