-   -   KVM x VirtualBox (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/532547-kvm-x-virtualbox.html)

05-30-2011 04:27 PM

KVM x VirtualBox

Hi Fernando,

I know Oracle provides repos, but as the well-known community based repo from rpmforge also does I wonder if there's some reson it would be better not to use Oracle repos.

But the main question is: will VirtualBox and KVM work in parallel? Or will one conflict with the other?

[]s, Fernando Lozano

Fernando Cassia 05-30-2011 04:49 PM

KVM x VirtualBox

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 13:27, <fernando@lozano.eti.br> wrote:
> I wonder if there's some reson it would be better not to use Oracle repos.

Well, I think your logic is reversed: Oracle repos will have always
the latest builds. Can you say the same about the others?.

> But the main question is: will VirtualBox and KVM work in parallel? Or will one conflict with the other?

See here
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/virtualbox-and-kvm-installed-at-the-same-time-any-problems-753104/#post3672068

Notice it speaks about 3.x, not sure if that still applies to 4.x.
Maybe some of the Oracle devs can comment.

FC

05-30-2011 04:58 PM

KVM x VirtualBox

Hi Fernando,

I'm used to not trust proprietary software vendor repos and packages. Usually they do not declare dependecies correctly and require several manual steps so the software installed from them works properly. So if someone had the trouble of creating a new repo for something the vendor already has packages I wonder if there's something wrong with the vendor packages or if the commnity repo has something else that will make my life easier.

Thanks for the link.

[]s, Fernando Lozano

Genes MailLists 05-30-2011 05:05 PM

KVM x VirtualBox

On 05/30/2011 12:58 PM, fernando@lozano.eti.br wrote:
> Hi Fernando,
>
> I'm used to not trust proprietary software vendor repos and packages. Usually they do not declare dependecies correctly and require several manual steps so the software installed from them works properly. So if someone had the trouble of creating a new repo for something the vendor already has packages I wonder if there's something wrong with the vendor packages or if the commnity repo has something else that will make my life easier.
>
> Thanks for the link.

The community (OSE) version has fewer features such as the ability
to access USB etc. Since one of the reasons I run windows in a VM is to
program USB devices such as TV remotes, GPS updates etc I have found the
oracle version to be preferable and (for older 3.x versions anyway)
worked better than the OSE.

In addition, I have found the oracle version generally works far better
than qemu/kvm .. ymmv of course.

Fernando Cassia 05-30-2011 06:07 PM

KVM x VirtualBox

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 13:58, <fernando@lozano.eti.br> wrote:
> Hi Fernando,
>
> I'm used to not trust proprietary software vendor repos and packages

Virtualbox is Free Software, with a GPL license. "Proprietary software
vendors" also applies to lots of other firms that also sponsor open
source projects. You need to cool down your preconceptions.

In fact, Virtualbox got even more free under Oracle than it was under
Sun... with the full product available under a GPL license and the
propietary (freeware) stuff moved to the extensions package.

While in the past, Virtualbox was available under two licenses, the
full was "freeware" and the OSS version lacked certain features.

It seems to me that you´ve already made your judgement, so use the
repo that you please.

FC

Fernando Cassia 05-30-2011 06:08 PM

KVM x VirtualBox

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 14:05, Genes MailLists <lists@sapience.com> wrote:

> * The community (OSE) version has fewer features such as the *ability
> to access USB etc. Since one of the reasons I run windows in a VM is to

I thought this distinction was eliminated with V4 and there´s now a
single version, that is GPL, with the propietary code moved to
extensions pack?.

Am I wrong?
FC

Genes MailLists 05-30-2011 06:14 PM

KVM x VirtualBox

On 05/30/2011 02:08 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:

> I thought this distinction was eliminated with V4 and there´s now a
> single version, that is GPL, with the propietary code moved to
> extensions pack?.
>
> Am I wrong?

Interesting - thank you I was not aware of that ... I just know using
the oracle provided ones work for me (haven't touched the OSE edition
since version 3.x).

05-30-2011 06:41 PM

KVM x VirtualBox

Hi,

I was hoping someone with actual experience running a recent VirtualBox on Fedora would step in and either tell "it's ok to use the Oracle repos" or "using the Oracle repos causes X, you have to do Y do workaround or use the repos from Y as they already solve X".

[]s, Fernando Lozano

Brian Mury 05-30-2011 06:45 PM

KVM x VirtualBox

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 11:41, <fernando@lozano.eti.br> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was hoping someone with actual experience running a recent VirtualBox on Fedora would step in and either tell "it's ok to use the Oracle repos" or "using the Oracle repos causes X, you have to do Y do workaround or use the repos from Y as they already solve X".

I have been using the Oracle repos for a long time. I have never had a problem.

Fernando Cassia 05-30-2011 06:46 PM

KVM x VirtualBox

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 15:41, <fernando@lozano.eti.br> wrote:
> I was hoping someone with actual experience running a recent VirtualBox on Fedora would step in and either tell "it's ok to use the Oracle repos" or "using the Oracle repos causes X, you have to do Y do workaround or use the repos from Y as they already solve X".

Oracle provides RPM builds for Fedora 15, along with Ubuntu all the
way back to Hardy Heron, the last two Debian versions, along with the
last 4 Red Hat server versions, amont others.

That´s what the Oracle repos for Fedora provides.

In other words, if you enable the Oracle repos, you won´t get a
package that has not been built and tested for your distro. If you
change or upgrade Linux version and Oracle does not provide a build
for it, yum (or apt-get) won´t download it.

That´s how I believe things work.

FC