Old 05-30-2011, 07:40 PM
Johan Scheepers

Default KVM x VirtualBox

On 30/05/2011 20:46, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 15:41,<fernando@lozano.eti.br> wrote:
>> I was hoping someone with actual experience running a recent VirtualBox on Fedora would step in and either tell "it's ok to use the Oracle repos" or "using the Oracle repos causes X, you have to do Y do workaround or use the repos from Y as they already solve X".
> Oracle provides RPM builds for Fedora 15, along with Ubuntu all the
> way back to Hardy Heron, the last two Debian versions, along with the
> last 4 Red Hat server versions, amont others.
>
> Thatīs what the Oracle repos for Fedora provides.
>
> In other words, if you enable the Oracle repos, you wonīt get a
> package that has not been built and tested for your distro. If you
> change or upgrade Linux version and Oracle does not provide a build
> for it, yum (or apt-get) wonīt download it.
>
> Thatīs how I believe things work.
>
> FC
Never done this before.
Would like to try virtualbox.

Kindly point me in the right direction to enable oracle repos
OR
kindly provide info howto do it please.
Thanks
Johan

Old 05-30-2011, 07:50 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 16:40, Johan Scheepers <johansche@telkomsa.net> wrote:
> Kindly point me in the right direction to enable oracle repos
> OR
> kindly provide info howto do it please.
> Thanks
> Johan

Hi Johan,

Itīs pointed out here... for Debian, Ubuntu, and RPM based distros
like Fedora/OpenSUSE, etc

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

(read the text below the download links)

FC

Old 06-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Jerry Feldman

On 05/30/2011 09:31 AM, fernando@lozano.eti.br wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've been using KVM for quite some time but now I have to work with a
> couple VirtualBox VMs. I don't want to have to setup a different
> server for that.
>
> Is it possible to have both KVM and VirtualBox installed and active on
> my Fedora 15 box? If positive, can I run a KVM VM and a VirtualBox VM
> at the same time, or will I have to run only one of then and shutdown
> the other?
>
> Should I get VirtualBox rpms from rpmforge.org or should I use
> packages from Oracle?
I've done this with older versions of Fedora. I currently use VBox only
because there a a few things I could not do with KVM when launched from
Gnome.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix