-   -   Fastest shutdown or what? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/532458-fastest-shutdown-what.html)

Joe Feely 05-30-2011 12:11 PM

Fastest shutdown or what?

Hi all,
Done fresh install of F15 on 5 year old desktop using i386 DVD (which tested good).

Shutdown is too fast (less that 10 seconds).

After several restarts I can see the last line displayed for a half second shows:-
Cannot finalize remaining file systems and devices, giving up.

Then shuts down or restarts immediately.

On starting up again the login screen is skipped and goes straight into my user (without asking for a password).

I have a second HDD with 2 partitions.
I have GNOME 3 and Xfce.
Gnome falls back, HW / graphics not up to requirement.
I used OfficeDT.Feelyshome instead of localhost.localdomain when installing F15.

I googled a bit, but I'm still nowhere with this, any solutions / ideas / pointers, appreciated.

TIA,
Joe

Genes MailLists 05-30-2011 03:14 PM

Fastest shutdown or what?

On 05/30/2011 08:11 AM, Joe Feely wrote:
> Hi all,
> Done fresh install of F15 on 5 year old desktop using i386 DVD (which tested good).
>
> Shutdown is too fast (less that 10 seconds).
>
> After several restarts I can see the last line displayed for a half second shows:-
> Cannot finalize remaining file systems and devices, giving up.
>
> Then shuts down or restarts immediately.
>
> On starting up again the login screen is skipped and goes straight into my user (without asking for a password).

Are you sure its shutting down and not suspending or hibernating ?

Genes MailLists 05-30-2011 05:12 PM

Fastest shutdown or what?

On 05/30/2011 01:01 PM, Joe Feely wrote:
> On 05/30/2011 05:35 PM, Genes MailLists wrote:
>> On 05/30/2011 11:58 AM, Joe Feely wrote:
>
> which looks a lot like I have autologin set up.
>
> I don't recall intending to set this up!
>

> Can I simple rename a copy of this file, and delete the 2 Auto...
> lines? Or will that have unwanted surprises in store for me?
>
> Thanks again,
> Joe

Yes you can indeed just edit that out ... I assume there is no magic
[gd]conf registry somewhere -- there wasn't for f14 anyway ... the error
you mention - did you google the phrase ? it could have to do with lvm
or raid ... which you may not have.

I assume when you shutdown you press escape key to watch the individual
messages as it shuts down ...