FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-30-2011, 09:35 AM
Bob Goodwin
 
Default No ethernet connection -

New F-15 install.

How is the ethernet connection made/assigned, whatever? I made
some changes via chkconfig and lost eth0 and eth1. Ethtool
simply reports no devices. Is there a routine for setting up
eth"x" or does it just have to happen automatically? That seems
unlikely.

I keep thinking it's simpler to re-install than mess with
troubleshooting some of these problems, perhaps F14 which I know
works for me. It is a learning experience however, if nothing
else I am learning what not to do!

Help appreciated.

Bob


--


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-30-2011, 09:45 AM
Frank Murphy
 
Default No ethernet connection -

On 30/05/11 10:35, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> New F-15 install.
>

yum install system-config-network

then create a new connection.
That is if like myself, you don't use NM.

then
systemctl disable NetworkManager.service
systemctl enable network.service

YMMV


--
Regards,

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-30-2011, 10:16 AM
Bob Goodwin
 
Default No ethernet connection -

On 30/05/11 05:45, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 30/05/11 10:35, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> New F-15 install.
>>
> yum install system-config-network
>
> then create a new connection.
> That is if like myself, you don't use NM.
>
> then
> systemctl disable NetworkManager.service
> systemctl enable network.service
>
> YMMV
>
>

Ok, I did "systemctl enable network.service" but ethtool eth0
still protests "No such device."
It looks like it may be working during the boot process, all I
see are "OK's" no "fail" I tried creating a new user, no joy
there either. As I say it arose from messing with chkconfig and
not knowing what I was going to screw up.

Yes, I've used system-config-network to set up the connection
and that still looks good.

Bob

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Frank Murphy
 
Default No ethernet connection -

On 30/05/11 11:16, Bob Goodwin wrote:

>>
>>
>
> Ok, I did "systemctl enable network.service" but ethtool eth0
> still protests "No such device."

Have you got:
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 content?


> It looks like it may be working during the boot process, all I
> see are "OK's" no "fail" I tried creating a new user, no joy
> there either. As I say it arose from messing with chkconfig and
> not knowing what I was going to screw up.
>
> Yes, I've used system-config-network to set up the connection
> and that still looks good.
>
> Bob
>
chkconfig --list
and post the output

I use XFCE, but the bedrock should be the same.

--
Regards,

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Bob Goodwin
 
Default No ethernet connection -

On 30/05/11 06:27, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 30/05/11 11:16, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>>>
>> Ok, I did "systemctl enable network.service" but ethtool eth0
>> still protests "No such device."
> Have you got:
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 content?
>

Yes, and it appears unchanged from what it was. I can't easily
copy files to this computer without my eth1 connection.

>> It looks like it may be working during the boot process, all I
>> see are "OK's" no "fail" I tried creating a new user, no joy
>> there either. As I say it arose from messing with chkconfig and
>> not knowing what I was going to screw up.
>>
>> Yes, I've used system-config-network to set up the connection
>> and that still looks good.
>>
>> Bob
>>
> chkconfig --list
> and post the output
>

I will have to copy that to a flash drive, will do in a little
while.

> I use XFCE, but the bedrock should be the same.
>

I have used only xfce for as long as fedora has existed, Window
Maker before that. I can muddle through with Gnome if need be,
usually long enough to get xfce installed, never bothered with KDE.
This install is from the xfce live spin.

Bob

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Bob Goodwin
 
Default No ethernet connection -

On 30/05/11 06:49, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 30/05/11 06:27, Frank Murphy wrote:
>> On 30/05/11 11:16, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>
>>>>
>>> Ok, I did "systemctl enable network.service" but ethtool eth0
>>> still protests "No such device."
>> Have you got:
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 content?
>>
>
> Yes, and it appears unchanged from what it was. I can't easily
> copy files to this computer without my eth1 connection.
>
>>> It looks like it may be working during the boot process,
>>> all I
>>> see are "OK's" no "fail" I tried creating a new user, no joy
>>> there either. As I say it arose from messing with
>>> chkconfig and
>>> not knowing what I was going to screw up.
>>>
>>> Yes, I've used system-config-network to set up the connection
>>> and that still looks good.
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>
>> chkconfig --list
>> and post the output
>>
>
> I will have to copy that to a flash drive, will do in a little
> while.
>
>> I use XFCE, but the bedrock should be the same.
>>
>
> I have used only xfce for as long as fedora has existed, Window
> Maker before that. I can muddle through with Gnome if need be,
> usually long enough to get xfce installed, never bothered with
> KDE.
> This install is from the xfce live spin.
>
> Bob
>
>
Another problem shows up, the flash drive wont mount? It shows
up in lsusb but is not listed under /media as it should be. I
don't even know how to mount it manually. It comes up on the
desktop as /media/disk1 . When I click on mount it errors
"Failed to mount "disk1"

It looks like I am headed toward another re-install. Hate to
burn up my allocated ISP usage with the updates and added
program downloads. But I broke it myself so I can't complain!

Bob
.


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Timothy Murphy
 
Default No ethernet connection -

Bob Goodwin wrote:

> New F-15 install.
>
> How is the ethernet connection made/assigned, whatever? I made
> some changes via chkconfig and lost eth0 and eth1. Ethtool
> simply reports no devices. Is there a routine for setting up
> eth"x" or does it just have to happen automatically? That seems
> unlikely.

What does ifconfig say ?
Also /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
(may not be 70)?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Bob Goodwin
 
Default No ethernet connection -

On 30/05/11 07:06, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> New F-15 install.
>>
>> How is the ethernet connection made/assigned, whatever? I made
>> some changes via chkconfig and lost eth0 and eth1. Ethtool
>> simply reports no devices. Is there a routine for setting up
>> eth"x" or does it just have to happen automatically? That seems
>> unlikely.
> What does ifconfig say ?
> Also /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
> (may not be 70)?
>

70-persistent-net.rules is there, I forced it to create anew last night. I could never copy all that manually without making a lot of mistakes.

ifconfig -eth1 "error - Device not found"

ifconfig -a lists data for em1,lo,and p2p1, with some ethernet HWaddr's for em1 and p2/p1.

Bob


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-30-2011, 11:53 AM
Tom H
 
Default No ethernet connection -

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 5:45 AM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30/05/11 10:35, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>
>> New F-15 install.
>
> yum install system-config-network
>
> then create a new connection.
> That is if like myself, you don't use NM.
>
> then
> systemctl disable NetworkManager.service
> systemctl enable network.service

There's no "network.service" so I've used chkconfig to enable the
standard "network" (on a core install box without NM).
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Tom H
 
Default No ethernet connection -

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 7:21 AM, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@wildblue.net> wrote:
> On 30/05/11 07:06, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>
>>> New F-15 install.
>>>
>>> * * * * *How is the ethernet connection made/assigned, whatever? I made
>>> * * * * *some changes via chkconfig and lost eth0 and eth1. Ethtool
>>> * * * * *simply reports no devices. Is there a routine for setting up
>>> * * * * *eth"x" or does it just have to happen automatically? That seems
>>> * * * * *unlikely.
>> What does ifconfig say ?
>> Also /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
>> (may not be 70)?
>>
>
> * * * *70-persistent-net.rules is there, I forced it to create anew last night. I could never copy all that manually without making a lot of mistakes.
>
> * * * *ifconfig -eth1 "error - Device not found"
>
> * * * *ifconfig -a lists data for em1,lo,and p2p1, with some ethernet HWaddr's for em1 and p2/p1.

The em1/p2p1 names are biosdevname's doing:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ConsistentNetworkDeviceNaming

By default, there isn't a 70-persistent-net.rules.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:45 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org