FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Frank Murphy
 
Default No ethernet connection -

On 30/05/11 12:53, Tom H wrote:
ce
>> systemctl enable network.service
>
> There's no "network.service" so I've used chkconfig to enable the
> standard "network" (on a core install box without NM).

You can run network.service,
it will be passed to chkconfig.



--
Regards,

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Frank Murphy
 
Default No ethernet connection -

On 30/05/11 12:59, Tom H wrote:

>>
>> ifconfig -eth1 "error - Device not found"
>>
>> ifconfig -a lists data for em1,lo,and p2p1, with some ethernet HWaddr's for em1 and p2/p1.
>
> The em1/p2p1 names are biosdevname's doing:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ConsistentNetworkDeviceNaming
>
> By default, there isn't a 70-persistent-net.rules.


As Tom states, eth1 if a pci card, will now be em1,
unless you have more than one pci nic.

I'm guessing eth0 is on the mainboard.

--
Regards,

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Rick Sewill
 
Default No ethernet connection -

On Monday, May 30, 2011 04:35:54 AM Bob Goodwin wrote:
> New F-15 install.
>
> How is the ethernet connection made/assigned, whatever? I made
> some changes via chkconfig and lost eth0 and eth1. Ethtool
> simply reports no devices. Is there a routine for setting up
> eth"x" or does it just have to happen automatically? That seems
> unlikely.
>

With the caveat, I am still on Fedora 14 and haven't tried to upgrade yet,
I assume Fedora 15 still has needed configuration files in /etc/modprobe.d.

What is in your /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf?

My Fedora 14 /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf file contains the following:
rsewill@rsewill:~ <3:1> $ more /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf
alias eth0 via-rhine
alias eth1 via-rhine
alias eth2 forcedeth
alias scsi_hostadapter libata
alias scsi_hostadapter1 sata_nv
alias scsi_hostadapter2 pata_amd
alias scsi_hostadapter3 usb-storage
options snd cards_limit=8
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel index=0
alias snd-card-7 snd-usb-audio
options snd-usb-audio index=7

On Fedora 14 this was how I associated which ethernet driver for which device.
I assume it's still the same way on Fedora 15.

Another person is having sound problems, and I remember there is sound stuff
in /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf too.

I am wondering if Fedora 15 did things to the modprobe files -or-
if the format of the modprobe files has changed -or-
if the modprobe files have been replaced by something else.

I will try to upgrade to Fedora 15, in time. At this moment, I am hesitant.
I have an old system, with limited RAM. I need to have good file backups.
I am concerned my attempt to upgrade to Fedora 15 may fail.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Frank Murphy
 
Default No ethernet connection -

On 30/05/11 13:19, Rick Sewill wrote:
<snip>
>
> I will try to upgrade to Fedora 15, in time. At this moment, I am hesitant.
> I have an old system, with limited RAM. I need to have good file backups.
> I am concerned my attempt to upgrade to Fedora 15 may fail.
>


If upgrading F15 should preserve the ethX stuff,
but if a fresh install pci slots (nic) will be emX


--
Regards,

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Rick Sewill
 
Default No ethernet connection -

On Monday, May 30, 2011 07:22:45 AM Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 30/05/11 13:19, Rick Sewill wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > I will try to upgrade to Fedora 15, in time. At this moment, I am
> > hesitant. I have an old system, with limited RAM. I need to have good
> > file backups. I am concerned my attempt to upgrade to Fedora 15 may
> > fail.
>
> If upgrading F15 should preserve the ethX stuff,
> but if a fresh install pci slots (nic) will be emX

They changed the names? Thank you for the heads up.
I will need to switch to the new names, in time, then.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Sam Varshavchik
 
Default No ethernet connection -

Frank Murphy writes:


On 30/05/11 13:19, Rick Sewill wrote:
<snip>
>
> I will try to upgrade to Fedora 15, in time. At this moment, I am
hesitant.

> I have an old system, with limited RAM. I need to have good file backups.
> I am concerned my attempt to upgrade to Fedora 15 may fail.
>


If upgrading F15 should preserve the ethX stuff,
but if a fresh install pci slots (nic) will be emX


Watch out if you've got wireless. After upgrading my laptop, NetworkManager
failed to start and dumped a backtrace into /var/log/messages. I had to nuke
my existing ifcfg-auto_SSID to make it start again (and relogin to my APs).
NetworkManager recreated the ifcfg-auto_SSID, naturally with different stuff
in there.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-30-2011, 01:04 PM
Bob Goodwin
 
Default No ethernet connection -

On 30/05/11 08:19, Rick Sewill wrote:
> On Monday, May 30, 2011 04:35:54 AM Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> New F-15 install.
>>
>> How is the ethernet connection made/assigned, whatever? I made
>> some changes via chkconfig and lost eth0 and eth1. Ethtool
>> simply reports no devices. Is there a routine for setting up
>> eth"x" or does it just have to happen automatically? That seems
>> unlikely.
>>
> With the caveat, I am still on Fedora 14 and haven't tried to upgrade yet,
> I assume Fedora 15 still has needed configuration files in /etc/modprobe.d.
>
> What is in your /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf?


I have no "/etc/modprobe.d/local.conf." There is a
blacklist.conf, dist-alsa.conf, dist-oss.conf, dist.conf, and
openfwwf.conf.

Do I need one? What to do ...

To add to the confusion my internet connection went out requiring the receiver/modem to be reset downstairs. Hope it's Wildblue and not my equipment! Has happened several times in the last few days.


Bob

.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Bob Goodwin
 
Default No ethernet connection -

On 30/05/11 08:15, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 30/05/11 12:59, Tom H wrote:
>
>>> ifconfig -eth1 "error - Device not found"
>>>
>>> ifconfig -a lists data for em1,lo,and p2p1, with some ethernet HWaddr's for em1 and p2/p1.
>> The em1/p2p1 names are biosdevname's doing:
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ConsistentNetworkDeviceNaming
>>
>> By default, there isn't a 70-persistent-net.rules.
>
> As Tom states, eth1 if a pci card, will now be em1,
> unless you have more than one pci nic.
>
> I'm guessing eth0 is on the mainboard.
>

Yes, eth0 is on the main board, 10/100, I added a faster card as
eth1, 100/1000. I assume em1 is on the mb and p2p1 is the [100/1000]
one I set in the network configuration. The other is not used for
anything.

I also see that I can do systemctl status network.service which
results in:

network.service - LSB: Bring up/down networking

Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/network)
Active: failed since Monday 30 May ....
CGroup: name+systemd:/system/network.service

Bob
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-30-2011, 02:11 PM
Tom H
 
Default No ethernet connection -

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 8:01 AM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30/05/11 12:53, Tom H wrote:
>>>
>>> systemctl enable network.service
>>
>> There's no "network.service" so I've used chkconfig to enable the
>> standard "network" (on a core install box without NM).
>
> You can run network.service,
> it will be passed to chkconfig.

Thanks. It works. Checking my bash history, I see that I typed
"systemctl enable network" before...

Apologies for the misinformation.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:21 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org