Old 05-30-2011, 08:11 AM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

Default Yum update from Fedora 14 -> 15 WARNING!

To anyone trying to upgrade from Fedora 14 to Fedora 15, DON'T EVEN
TRY!!! I've just tried and have had numerous problems, finally resulting
in being unable to boot up any kernel version at all, using inittab mode
1,3, or 5. In view of this it appears I will have to reinstall Fedora 14.

cpp4ever

Old 05-30-2011, 08:28 AM
Frank Murphy

On 30/05/11 09:11, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:

> To anyone trying to upgrade from Fedora 14 to Fedora 15, DON'T EVEN
> TRY!!! I've just tried and have had numerous problems, finally resulting
> in being unable to boot up any kernel version at all, using inittab mode
> 1,3, or 5. In view of this it appears I will have to reinstall Fedora 14.
>
> cpp4ever

No problems here.

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Old 05-30-2011, 08:28 AM
Ed Greshko

On 05/30/2011 04:11 PM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> To anyone trying to upgrade from Fedora 14 to Fedora 15, DON'T EVEN
> TRY!!! I've just tried and have had numerous problems, finally resulting
> in being unable to boot up any kernel version at all, using inittab mode
> 1,3, or 5. In view of this it appears I will have to reinstall Fedora 14.

You failed to mention what update/upgrade method you used....

Old 05-30-2011, 08:34 AM
Frank Murphy

On 30/05/11 09:28, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 05/30/2011 04:11 PM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>> To anyone trying to upgrade from Fedora 14 to Fedora 15, DON'T EVEN
>> TRY!!! I've just tried and have had numerous problems, finally resulting
>> in being unable to boot up any kernel version at all, using inittab mode
>> 1,3, or 5. In view of this it appears I will have to reinstall Fedora 14.
>>

> You failed to mention what update/upgrade method you used....

the Subject: yum update

to recover try:
1: boot from dvdootcd.

rescue installed system
when ready:

yum --releasever=15 distro-sync --skip-broken

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Old 05-30-2011, 08:35 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Mon, 30 May 2011 09:11:26 +0100, NG wrote:

> To anyone trying to upgrade from Fedora 14 to Fedora 15, DON'T EVEN
> TRY!!! I've just tried and have had numerous problems, finally resulting
> in being unable to boot up any kernel version at all, using inittab mode
> 1,3, or 5. In view of this it appears I will have to reinstall Fedora 14.

What are you trying to achieve with such a general warning?

Distribution upgrades have never been entirely trouble-free, not even if
doing it with the DVD image. Even if all old packages get replaced during
the upgrade (and no package violated the upgrade-path), the new packages
need to cope with all sorts of configuration/integration/customisation
specialties at run-time.

Btw, a reinstall of Fedora 15 could be tried as well to test whether
you would run into the same or similar issues.

--
Linux 2.6.38.6-27.fc15.x86_64 #1 SMP Sun May 15 17:23:28 UTC 2011

Old 05-30-2011, 10:06 AM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

On 30/05/11 09:34, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 30/05/11 09:28, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 05/30/2011 04:11 PM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>>> To anyone trying to upgrade from Fedora 14 to Fedora 15, DON'T EVEN
>>> TRY!!! I've just tried and have had numerous problems, finally resulting
>>> in being unable to boot up any kernel version at all, using inittab mode
>>> 1,3, or 5. In view of this it appears I will have to reinstall Fedora 14.
>>>

>> You failed to mention what update/upgrade method you used....
>
> the Subject: yum update
>
> to recover try:
> 1: boot from dvdootcd.
>
> rescue installed system
> when ready:
>
> yum --releasever=15 distro-sync --skip-broken

If only yum worked after booting from a rescue DVD.

I tried updating using yum in stages, (yumex actually using
networkmanager). Unfortunately this eventually crippled networkmanager,
and inittab 5 boot. The later I got round by creating a desktop file to
and started gui from inittab 3, (to KDE).

I have updated using this method from Fedora 10 -> 14 successfully. As
Fedora 8 -> 10 was KDE 3 -> 4 I did a fresh install.

Currently akmod builds fail on boot, and it eventually hangs. I've tried
a variety of boot options to no avail.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:16 AM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

On 30/05/11 09:11, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:

> To anyone trying to upgrade from Fedora 14 to Fedora 15, DON'T EVEN
> TRY!!! I've just tried and have had numerous problems, finally resulting
> in being unable to boot up any kernel version at all, using inittab mode
> 1,3, or 5. In view of this it appears I will have to reinstall Fedora 14.
>
> cpp4ever

Any more suggestions would be appreciated,although having successfully
upgraded Fedora 10 -> 14 incrementally before, I'm not hopeful.

In the meantime I'm looking to use a Fedora 14 rescue DVD to backup data
to another partition, (not that there's much, I tend to do most of the
important stuff on my laptop).

Old 05-30-2011, 12:20 PM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

On 30/05/11 11:06, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> On 30/05/11 09:34, Frank Murphy wrote:
>>>>

>>> You failed to mention what update/upgrade method you used....
>>
>> the Subject: yum update
>>
>> to recover try:
>> 1: boot from dvdootcd.
>>
>> rescue installed system
>> when ready:
>>
>> yum --releasever=15 distro-sync --skip-broken
>>

> If only yum worked after booting from a rescue DVD.
>
> I tried updating using yum in stages, (yumex actually using
> networkmanager). Unfortunately this eventually crippled networkmanager,
> and inittab 5 boot. The later I got round by creating a desktop file to
> and started gui from inittab 3, (to KDE).
>
> I have updated using this method from Fedora 10 -> 14 successfully. As
> Fedora 8 -> 10 was KDE 3 -> 4 I did a fresh install.
>
> Currently akmod builds fail on boot, and it eventually hangs. I've tried
> a variety of boot options to no avail.

It also appears the old LVM partition had become corrupted as when
booting the rescue DVD I couldn't see my old home directory. Anyway I'm
going to reinstall Fedora 14, update to latest releases, and then try
again. Hopefully, with this being a standard Fedora 14 it'll succeed.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:23 PM
Frank Murphy

On 30/05/11 13:20, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:

> It also appears the old LVM partition had become corrupted as when
> booting the rescue DVD I couldn't see my old home directory. Anyway I'm
> going to reinstall Fedora 14, update to latest releases, and then try
> again. Hopefully, with this being a standard Fedora 14 it'll succeed.

Why not fresh install F15?

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Old 05-30-2011, 01:16 PM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

On 30/05/11 13:23, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 30/05/11 13:20, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>>
>> It also appears the old LVM partition had become corrupted as when
>> booting the rescue DVD I couldn't see my old home directory. Anyway I'm
>> going to reinstall Fedora 14, update to latest releases, and then try
>> again. Hopefully, with this being a standard Fedora 14 it'll succeed.
>>

> Why not fresh install F15?

I only had a fedora 14 install DVD, and yes, I should have created a
fedora 15 install DVD first. Basically I should know better!!!

Apart from which I'm looking to upgrade my laptop Fedora 14 -> 15. So
determining if I can do this reliably first is the idea. Whatever, I
need either my Desktop or Laptop working reliably. Currently for Fedora
15, updating appears to be a potentially disastrous operation based on
my experience. There is also the possibility of other Fedora 15 quirks
I'd like to sort out beforehand as well.

Regardless,your point was well made.