Old 05-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

Default Yum update from Fedora 14 -> 15 WARNING!

On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 09:11 +0100, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> To anyone trying to upgrade from Fedora 14 to Fedora 15, DON'T EVEN
> TRY!!! I've just tried and have had numerous problems, finally resulting
> in being unable to boot up any kernel version at all, using inittab mode
> 1,3, or 5. In view of this it appears I will have to reinstall Fedora 14.

Oh dear, I wish I known this before, then I wouldn't have updated to F15
from F14. I guess my working F15 system must be an illusion.

poc

Old 05-30-2011, 03:23 PM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

On 30/05/11 15:00, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 09:11 +0100, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>> To anyone trying to upgrade from Fedora 14 to Fedora 15, DON'T EVEN
>> TRY!!! I've just tried and have had numerous problems, finally resulting
>> in being unable to boot up any kernel version at all, using inittab mode
>> 1,3, or 5. In view of this it appears I will have to reinstall Fedora 14.
>
> Oh dear, I wish I known this before, then I wouldn't have updated to F15
> from F14. I guess my working F15 system must be an illusion.
>
> poc

I've reinstalled Fedora 14 KDE minimal system, and I'm now trying to
update to 15 from there. Hopefully, as there are no RPMFusion packages,
or other none standard packages it should all be OK. Time will tell.

:-)

Old 05-30-2011, 03:28 PM
Genes MailLists

On 05/30/2011 06:06 AM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:

> If only yum worked after booting from a rescue DVD.
>
> I tried updating using yum in stages, (yumex actually using
> networkmanager). Unfortunately this eventually crippled networkmanager,
> and inittab 5 boot. The later I got round by creating a desktop file to
> and started gui from inittab 3, (to KDE).
>
> I have updated using this method from Fedora 10 -> 14 successfully. As
> Fedora 8 -> 10 was KDE 3 -> 4 I did a fresh install.

Long experience by many is being shared with you ... updating -
especially through multiple versions can lead to quirks ... a fresh
install once in a while is a very healthy thing to do.

It is also likely to be difficult for others to help - since your
system has aged differently (from F10 .. via upgrades) and hardware is
different too .. so others may just say 'worked for me'.

Seriously, the best advice has been given - do a fresh install - and
go from there - since your /home is a separate (backed up partition)
right (?) - just restore it after the update ...

Also you may find it useful to run yum list installed > my-stuff as
well as chkconfig --list > my-svcs before doing the install as a reference.

I only do fresh installs now (since about FC6) and it has certainly
reduced the issues for me ... if you do insist and upgrade my advice
would be alternate upgrades with fresh installs (i.e. F16 upgrade, F17
fresh install etc).

Good luck.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 05/30/2011 01:41 PM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> To anyone trying to upgrade from Fedora 14 to Fedora 15, DON'T EVEN
> TRY!!! I've just tried and have had numerous problems, finally resulting
> in being unable to boot up any kernel version at all, using inittab mode
> 1,3, or 5. In view of this it appears I will have to reinstall Fedora 14.

Worked fine here

Rahul

Old 05-30-2011, 04:14 PM
"Robert G. (Doc) Savage"

On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 09:34 +0100, Frank Murphy wrote:
> the Subject: yum update
>
> to recover try:
> 1: boot from dvdootcd.
>
> rescue installed system
> when ready:
>
> yum --releasever=15 distro-sync --skip-broken

Frank,

Will this work on an old 32-bit Thinkpad that's maxed out with 512MB of
RAM? Installing from DVD fails.

--Doc Savage
Fairview Heights, IL

Old 05-30-2011, 04:25 PM
Frank Murphy

On 30/05/11 17:14, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 09:34 +0100, Frank Murphy wrote:
>> the Subject: yum update
>>
>> to recover try:
>> 1: boot from dvdootcd.
>>
>> rescue installed system
>> when ready:
>>
>> yum --releasever=15 distro-sync --skip-broken
>>

> Frank,
>
> Will this work on an old 32-bit Thinkpad that's maxed out with 512MB of
> RAM? Installing from DVD fails.
>
> --Doc Savage
> Fairview Heights, IL

I don't think so, the min spec is a little over 700mb ram,
1gb recommended. for a GUI install.

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Old 05-30-2011, 04:27 PM
Ralf Corsepius

> On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 09:11 +0100, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>> To anyone trying to upgrade from Fedora 14 to Fedora 15, DON'T EVEN
>> TRY!!! I've just tried and have had numerous problems, finally resulting
>> in being unable to boot up any kernel version at all, using inittab mode
>> 1,3, or 5. In view of this it appears I will have to reinstall Fedora 14.
>
> Oh dear, I wish I known this before, then I wouldn't have updated to F15
> from F14. I guess my working F15 system must be an illusion.
Well, YMMV or you might not have looked into details yet

None of the 2 test systems I have given Fedora 15 a try on so far, is
working in a state which deserves to be called "smooth" and "calm".

Ralf

Old 05-30-2011, 04:29 PM
Frank Murphy

On 30/05/11 17:27, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
<snip>. In view of this it appears I will have to reinstall Fedora 14.

>> Oh dear, I wish I known this before, then I wouldn't have updated to F15
>> from F14. I guess my working F15 system must be an illusion.
> Well, YMMV or you might not have looked into details yet
>
> None of the 2 test systems I have given Fedora 15 a try on so far, is
> working in a state which deserves to be called "smooth" and "calm".
>
> Ralf

I'm paraphrasing, but it was the sweeping statement,
Patrick had issue with.

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Old 05-30-2011, 04:35 PM
Frank Murphy

On 30/05/11 17:14, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
<snip>
> Frank,
>
> Will this work on an old 32-bit Thinkpad that's maxed out with 512MB of
> RAM? Installing from DVD fails.
>
> --Doc Savage
> Fairview Heights, IL

What Desktop are you using? GnomeKDE?
It might work for one of the lighter Desktops XfceLxde.
Check the specs on the resepective pages.
Havn't got them to hand.

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Old 05-30-2011, 04:43 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 05/30/2011 09:44 PM, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> Frank,
>
> Will this work on an old 32-bit Thinkpad that's maxed out with 512MB of
> RAM? Installing from DVD fails.

You can try upgrading piecemeal. Some major set of packages, python,
then gtk and so on

Rahul