Old 05-30-2011, 05:30 AM
"Steven F. LeBrun"

Default F15: Wireless Adapter Unavailable

I have been unable to use the wireless adapter on my laptop since
installing Fedora 15.* When using the network dialog from Gnome 3's
System Settings, The wireless is listed as "Unavailable" but the MAC
address is displayed.* Also the Airplane Mode is "On".

Any suggestions on what I need to do to get Fedora 15 to use my
wireless adapter?* Is anyone else having similar problems?

My laptop is running 64 bit Fedora 15, Gnome 3 and has an Intel
Centrino Advanced-N 6230 wireless/bluetooth adapter.* I am not
seeing the bluetooth adapter either.

Also, what is this new "Airplane Mode" that I cannot disable for
very long.* It keeps coming back on by itself.* Is the Airplane Mode
blocking transmissions from the laptop or is it only reporting that
none are being sent?

This laptop was originally installed with Windows 7 and the wireless
adapter worked fine.

Looking at dmesg, I can see that the Wireless adapter is detected
and it looks like the fiirmware was loaded.

From dmesg:

* ** iwlagn: Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link AGN driver for Linux,
in-tree:d

**** iwlagn: Copyright(c) 2003-2010 Intel Corporation

**** iwlagn 0000:03:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 17 (level, low) ->
IRQ 17

* ** iwlagn 0000:03:00.0: setting latency timer to 64

**** iwlagn 0000:03:00.0: Detected Intel(R) Centrino(R)
Advanced-N 6230 AGN, REV=0xB0

**** iwlagn 0000:03:00.0: device EEPROM VER=0x716, CALIB=0x6

**** iwlagn 0000:03:00.0: Device SKU: 0Xb

**** iwlagn 0000:03:00.0: Valid Tx ant: 0X3, Valid Rx ant: 0X3

* ** iwlagn 0000:03:00.0: Tunable channels: 13 802.11bg, 24 802.11a
channels

* ** iwlagn 0000:03:00.0: irq 49 for MSI/MSI-X

* ** iwlagn 0000:03:00.0: loaded firmware version 17.168.5.1 build
33993

--

**Steven F. LeBrun

Dell XPS 15R

64 bit, 8 GB
Intell Core i5-2410M CPU
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230

Fedora 15

Gnome 3

Old 05-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Tim

On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 01:30 -0400, Steven F. LeBrun wrote:
> Also, what is this new "Airplane Mode" that I cannot disable for very
> long.

Google that exact phrase, and you'll find out. Likewise, for many other
terms that you come across and don't know what they mean.

There's a wikipedia page that explains it quite succinctly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_mode

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686