-   -   Yum stopped working after F14 -> F15 upgrade (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/532314-yum-stopped-working-after-f14-f15-upgrade.html)

Manish Kathuria 05-30-2011 02:31 AM

Yum stopped working after F14 -> F15 upgrade

Hello,

I have upgraded from F14 to F15 using preupgrade and everything seems
to be okay except yum. Whenever I run yum, it terminates giving the
error:

Error: Cannot retrieve metalink for repository: updates. Please verify
its path and try again

The error message appeared for other repositories also. In order to
sort out the problem I have tried out the following:

1. Disabled livna, rpmfusion and other repositories.
2. Disabled ipv6
3. Created entries in /etc/hosts for mirror.fedoraproject.org
4. Reinstalled yum, fedora-release-15-1

However, none of this has solved the problem. DNS is working fine and
all other internet applications are able to resolve sites. Any
suggestions?

Thanks,
--
Manish Kathuria

Sam Varshavchik 05-30-2011 03:46 AM

Manish Kathuria writes:

Hello,

I have upgraded from F14 to F15 using preupgrade and everything seems
to be okay except yum. Whenever I run yum, it terminates giving the
error:

Error: Cannot retrieve metalink for repository: updates. Please verify
its path and try again

The error message appeared for other repositories also. In order to
sort out the problem I have tried out the following:

1. Disabled livna, rpmfusion and other repositories.
2. Disabled ipv6
3. Created entries in /etc/hosts for mirror.fedoraproject.org
4. Reinstalled yum, fedora-release-15-1

However, none of this has solved the problem. DNS is working fine and
all other internet applications are able to resolve sites. Any
suggestions?

Don't recall offhand where yum looks for its http proxy configuration. If
you have network connectivity, the only thing I can think of would be broken
http proxy config. Look into that.

Frank Murphy 05-30-2011 06:54 AM

On 30/05/11 04:46, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Manish Kathuria writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have upgraded from F14 to F15 using preupgrade and everything seems
>> to be okay except yum. Whenever I run yum, it terminates giving the
>> error:

try
yum clean metadata
then try yum update again:

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Manish Kathuria 06-01-2011 01:25 AM

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@courier-mta.com> wrote:
> Manish Kathuria writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have upgraded from F14 to F15 using preupgrade and everything seems
>> to be okay except yum. Whenever I run yum, it terminates giving the
>> error:
>>
>> Error: Cannot retrieve metalink for repository: updates. Please verify
>> its path and try again
>>
> Don't recall offhand where yum looks for its http proxy configuration. If
> you have network connectivity, the only thing I can think of would be broken
> http proxy config. Look into that.

Thanks, it was broken proxy configuration indeed.
--
Manish Kathuria