Old 05-29-2011, 05:41 PM
Jim Bennett

Default BCM4312

On 05/29/2011 02:16 PM, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:
> lspci -vnn | grep 14e4
I think this what you are looking for is -- 14e4:4315

Thank you so much for help.
Jim Bennett

Old 05-29-2011, 06:16 PM
Zoltan Hoppar

Hi Jim,

How can I help you? Did you tried the firmware from the linuxwireless.org?

Please answer to me, what is the answer on your computer to this:
lspci -vnn | grep 14e4 ?

Cheers,

Zoltan

2011/5/29 Jim Bennett <jameswster@gmail.com>:
> IS anyone running Fedora 15 on laptop with BCM4312 wireless adapter. I
> am trying to find driver for my G550 Lenovo laptop.
>
> Thank you
> Jim Bennett

PGP:* 06853DF7

Old 05-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Tom Horsley

I don't remember the specific model number, but the
driver for a broadcom wireless interface in my Dell Zino
system was available on the rpmfusion.org repos.
I installed the akmod-wl module so it could build the
proper version for my kernel from source since the
rpmfusion repos didn't already have a binary
matching my kernel version.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Jim Bennett

On 05/29/2011 02:50 PM, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> Then you have the same card as I have in my HP 4515s. This is the very
> same card. That's easy.
> Do the following:
>
> wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2
> tar xjf broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2
> cd broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5/driver
> b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/ wl_apsta_mimo.o
>
> ....and you're done. After the restart you'll have the wifi.
>
> Cu,
>
> Zoltan
>

> 2011/5/29 Jim Bennett<jameswster@gmail.com>:
>> On 05/29/2011 02:16 PM, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:
>>> lspci -vnn | grep 14e4
>> I think this what you are looking for is -- 14e4:4315
>>
>> Thank you so much for help.
>> Jim Bennett
>> --

It is working and I can't thank you enough. I printed the instructions
so thank you ----
Jim

Old 05-29-2011, 06:50 PM
Zoltan Hoppar

Hi Jim,

Then you have the same card as I have in my HP 4515s. This is the very
same card. That's easy.
Do the following:

wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2
tar xjf broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2
cd broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5/driver
b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/ wl_apsta_mimo.o

....and you're done. After the restart you'll have the wifi.

Cu,

Zoltan

2011/5/29 Jim Bennett <jameswster@gmail.com>:
> On 05/29/2011 02:16 PM, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:
>> lspci -vnn | grep 14e4
> *I think this what you are looking for is -- 14e4:4315
>
> Thank you so much for help.
> Jim Bennett

PGP:* 06853DF7

Old 05-30-2011, 03:01 AM
Misha Shnurapet

30.05.2011, 00:31, "Jim Bennett" <jameswster@gmail.com>:
> IS anyone running Fedora 15 on laptop with BCM4312 wireless adapter. I

I have the same model on my Dell laptop. If you look at dmesg it would tell you the URL where you can download the firmware.

I have another question concerning this module. It only supports B/G profiles. Is there a model with the same interface supporting N and having decent support by Linux community? It would be great to replace my BCM4312.

--
Best regards,
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Shnurapet

Old 05-30-2011, 03:47 AM
JD

On 05/29/11 20:01, Misha Shnurapet wrote:
> 30.05.2011, 00:31, "Jim Bennett"<jameswster@gmail.com>:
>> IS anyone running Fedora 15 on laptop with BCM4312 wireless adapter. I
> I have the same model on my Dell laptop. If you look at dmesg it would tell you the URL where you can download the firmware.
>
> I have another question concerning this module. It only supports B/G profiles. Is there a model with the same interface supporting N and having decent support by Linux community? It would be great to replace my BCM4312.

Are you looking for a Broadcom card or any card that supports 802.11N?
I have a laptop and I recently installed an AR5008 mini-pci card, and it
seems to be well supported by the ath9k and ath driver modules,
and it supports 802.11N, Draft 2.
You can also install an Atheros AR9220/AR9223 card, but be careful which
manufacturer and model it is. The only Atheros AR9220 card manufacturer
supported by the ath9k driver is the
Compex WLM200NX Mini-PCI 9220 0x0029 0x168c 0x2096
and this according to
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k/devices.
But that list is rather old and has not been updated for a long time.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:37 PM
Misha Shnurapet

30.05.2011, 12:47, "JD" <jd1008@gmail.com>;:
> *On 05/29/11 20:01, Misha Shnurapet wrote:
>> **30.05.2011, 00:31, "Jim Bennett"<jameswster@gmail.com>;;:
>>> **IS anyone running Fedora 15 on laptop with BCM4312 wireless adapter. I
>> **I have the same model on my Dell laptop. If you look at dmesg it would tell you the URL where you can download the firmware.
>>
>> **I have another question concerning this module. It only supports B/G profiles. Is there a model with the same interface supporting N and having decent support by Linux community? It would be great to replace my BCM4312.
> *Are you looking for a Broadcom card or any card that supports 802.11N?
> *I have a laptop and I recently installed an AR5008 mini-pci card, and it
> *seems to be well supported by the ath9k and ath driver modules,
> *and it supports 802.11N, Draft 2.
> *You can also install an Atheros AR9220/AR9223 card, but be careful which
> *manufacturer and model it is. The only Atheros AR9220 card manufacturer
> *supported by the ath9k driver is the
> *Compex WLM200NX Mini-PCI 9220 0x0029 0x168c 0x2096
> *and this according to
> *http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k/devices.
> *But that list is rather old and has not been updated for a long time.

Thanks for your answer. It would be cool to have an AR5008, but it won't fit in my laptop. BCM4312 is a half mini-pci. From what I have seen out there, Intel 1000, Atheros AR5B95 AR9285, Intel 6200, Broadcom BCM94322HM8L 4322, Intel 6250 622ANXHMW, Intel 6300 633ANHMW (the latter two are an expensive couple).

Are these any good? If not, what would you recommend in that size?

Thanks!