Old 05-29-2011, 05:40 PM
Frank Chiulli

Default Hard disk upgrade

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Mike Williams <dmikewilliams@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 9:32 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net> wrote:
>>
>> I've found that upgrading Fedora-14 to Fedora-15 has been very simple,
>> with no problems at all, even though I am keeping the same /home
>> partition,
>> which has caused problems (mainly with KDE) in previous upgrades.
>>
> One thing that has been known to cause problems is the contents of old
> .something directories, there are lots of them and their contents change
> from time to time in ways that break things. *I've started moving them all
> out of the way before an install. * I put all of the .something dirs in
> ~/old_dot_dirs and let the install create new ones.
>

>> However, I had one problem trying to do a hard disk upgrade
>> on a machine with no internet access, but running Fedora-14.
>> I copied Fedora-15-i386-DVD.iso to / (/dev/sda5) via a USB stick,
>> and copied isolinux/vmlinuz and isolinux/initrd.img to /
>> (after "mount -o loop").
>>
>> Then I re-booted with the grub stanza
>> -------------------------
>> title Fedora 15 install
>> * * * *root (hd0,4)
>> * * * *kernel /vmlinuz repo=hd:/dev/sda5:/Fedora-15-i386-DVD.iso
>> * * * *initrd /initrd.img
>> -------------------------
>>
> I just did a hd install myself and did it a little differently, in my case
> it did find everything needed for the install. *I also installed the new
> vmlinuz and initrd in a subdirectory of /boot but that isn't relevant here
> so we can skip those differences.
> Here is what was different for my config:
> 1. created a directory named images at the same level as the DVD.iso
> 2. copied install.img from /images of the iso to /images on the hard disk
> ** *(so on the install disk there was /Fedora...DVD.iso and a directory
> named /images
> ** *with the install.img file copied from the mounted DVD.iso)
>
> 3. The last entry of the line with the repo info in grub.conf only contained
> the *path* to
> ** *the iso *not* the name of the file. *In your case, I think that this
> would have worked:
> kernel /vmlinuz repo=hd:/dev/sda5:/
> Mike

I've done hard disk installs before. But this time I hit a bump in the road.

I downloaded Fedora-15-i386-DVD.iso and Fedora-15-i386-CHECKSUM.
Following the instructions in the Installation Guide, I verified the
CHECKSUM and the iso. Next I mounted the .iso file. However the
images directory does not contain install.img. It contains a
TRANS.TBL file and a pxeboot directory.

Just to be sure, I also downloaded Fedora-15-i686-Live-Desktop.iso and
the CHECKSUM file and repeated the steps above with the same results.

What's wrong here?

Frank

Old 05-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Timothy Murphy

Mike Williams wrote:

>> Then I re-booted with the grub stanza
>> -------------------------
>> title Fedora 15 install
>> root (hd0,4)
>> kernel /vmlinuz repo=hd:/dev/sda5:/Fedora-15-i386-DVD.iso
>> initrd /initrd.img
>> -------------------------
>>
>> I just did a hd install myself and did it a little differently, in my
>> case
> it did find everything needed for the install. I also installed the new
> vmlinuz and initrd in a subdirectory of /boot but that isn't relevant here
> so we can skip those differences.
>
> Here is what was different for my config:
>
> 1. created a directory named images at the same level as the DVD.iso
> 2. copied install.img from /images of the iso to /images on the hard disk
> (so on the install disk there was /Fedora...DVD.iso and a directory
> named /images
> with the install.img file copied from the mounted DVD.iso)
>
> 3. The last entry of the line with the repo info in grub.conf only
> contained the *path* to
> the iso *not* the name of the file. In your case, I think that this
> would have worked:

Thanks for the suggestions; I'll try them tomorrow.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net