Old 05-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Timothy Murphy

Default Hard disk upgrade

I've found that upgrading Fedora-14 to Fedora-15 has been very simple,
with no problems at all, even though I am keeping the same /home partition,
which has caused problems (mainly with KDE) in previous upgrades.

However, I had one problem trying to do a hard disk upgrade
on a machine with no internet access, but running Fedora-14.
I copied Fedora-15-i386-DVD.iso to / (/dev/sda5) via a USB stick,
and copied isolinux/vmlinuz and isolinux/initrd.img to /
(after "mount -o loop").

Then I re-booted with the grub stanza
-------------------------
title Fedora 15 install
root (hd0,4)
kernel /vmlinuz repo=hd:/dev/sda5:/Fedora-15-i386-DVD.iso
initrd /initrd.img
-------------------------

This booted OK, up to the point where I chose my uk keyboard,
but then said it could not find the (somewhat garbled) repo.

Is there something wrong with the above line?

If I omitted the repo=... then the machine booted fine,
but then looked for an internet connection, which it did not have.
[I actually solved the problem in the end by running a 20 metre
ethernet cable up the stairs to the attic where the computer was.]

There were two other probably unrelated side-issues:
1. I noticed that Knoppix-6.4.4 called the hard disk /dev/sde .
2. When I re-installed grub with Knoppix
it booted Fedora-14 (and Windows XP) fine,
but said that /vmlinuz was now an incompatible format.
However, when I re-installed grub again with Fedora-14,
/vmlinuz was accepted.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 05-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Mike Williams

I've found that upgrading Fedora-14 to Fedora-15 has been very simple,

with no problems at all, even though I am keeping the same /home partition,

which has caused problems (mainly with KDE) in previous upgrades.

One thing that has been known to cause problems is the contents of old .something directories, there are lots of them and their contents change from time to time in ways that break things. *I've started moving them all out of the way before an install. * I put all of the .something dirs in ~/old_dot_dirs and let the install create new ones.*
*
However, I had one problem trying to do a hard disk upgrade

on a machine with no internet access, but running Fedora-14.

I copied Fedora-15-i386-DVD.iso to / (/dev/sda5) via a USB stick,

and copied isolinux/vmlinuz and isolinux/initrd.img to /

(after "mount -o loop").

Then I re-booted with the grub stanza

-------------------------

title Fedora 15 install

* * * *root (hd0,4)

* * * *kernel /vmlinuz repo=hd:/dev/sda5:/Fedora-15-i386-DVD.iso

* * * *initrd /initrd.img

I just did a hd install myself and did it a little differently, in my case it did find everything needed for the install. *I also installed the new vmlinuz and initrd in a subdirectory of /boot but that isn't relevant here so we can skip those differences.

Here is what was different for my config:
1. created a directory named images at the same level as the DVD.iso2. copied install.img from /images of the iso to /images on the hard disk*
** *(so on the install disk there was /Fedora...DVD.iso and a directory named /images*** *with the install.img file copied from the mounted DVD.iso)*3. The last entry of the line with the repo info in grub.conf only contained the *path* to*
** *the iso *not* the name of the file. *In your case, I think that this would have worked:
kernel /vmlinuz repo=hd:/dev/sda5:/
Mike