-   -   F15 connection sharing (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/532135-f15-connection-sharing.html)

Pasha R 05-29-2011 12:48 PM

F15 connection sharing

I'm trying to figure out the connection sharing option in F15. I
connect to internet using PPPoE, and, till now, I used "old" network
configuration (and disabled network manager) to setup a static IP
address and PPPoE connection, and then used masquerading to share
connection to other computers on the network.
In F15 I can't find a way to make such configuration and also can't
find an option in NM to enable connection sharing for DSL connection.
Is there anything I'm missing?

Jan Willies 05-31-2011 07:45 AM

F15 connection sharing

I'm trying to figure out the connection sharing option in F15. I

connect to internet using PPPoE, and, till now, I used "old" network

configuration (and disabled network manager) to setup a static IP

address and PPPoE connection, and then used masquerading to share

connection to other computers on the network.

In F15 I can't find a way to make such configuration and also can't

find ´┐Żan option in NM to enable connection sharing for DSL connection.

Is there anything I'm missing?

http://blogs.fedoraproject.org/wp/mclasen/2011/05/26/share-your-network-with-gnome-3/

Pasha R 05-31-2011 11:49 AM

F15 connection sharing

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Jan Willies <jan@willies.info> wrote:
> 2011/5/29 Pasha R <pashar.ml@gmail.com>
>>
>> I'm trying to figure out the connection sharing option in F15. I
>> connect to internet using PPPoE, and, till now, I used "old" network
>> configuration (and disabled network manager) to setup a static IP
>> address and PPPoE connection, and then used masquerading to share
>> connection to other computers on the network.
>> In F15 I can't find a way to make such configuration and also can't
>> find *an option in NM to enable connection sharing for DSL connection.
>> Is there anything I'm missing?
>
> http://blogs.fedoraproject.org/wp/mclasen/2011/05/26/share-your-network-with-gnome-3/

Thanks, for the link, but this won't help even when it will be ready.
I don't have wireless connection. I have only one NIC, connected to
local home network, and my DSL modem connected to same network. So, I
want to connect to internet using PPPoE and share this connection.
Unfortunately, NetworkManager never supported such configuration --
you can only have one connection over one NIC. Fortunately,
system-config-network always supported it. But I can't find it in F15
anymore.

Pasha R 05-31-2011 11:49 AM

F15 connection sharing

Hiisi 05-31-2011 11:58 AM

F15 connection sharing

On 31 May 2011 15:49, Pasha R <pashar.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Jan Willies <jan@willies.info> wrote:
<--SNIP-->
> Thanks, for the link, but this won't help even when it will be ready.
> I don't have wireless connection. I have only one NIC, connected to
> local home network, and my DSL modem connected to same network. So, I
> want to connect to internet using PPPoE and share this connection.
> Unfortunately, NetworkManager never supported such configuration --
> you can only have one connection over one NIC. Fortunately,
> system-config-network always supported it. But I can't find it in F15
> anymore.

Maybe it's better to use old method and disable Network Manager? Then
you could configure network by scripts.
--
Hiisi

Hiisi 05-31-2011 11:58 AM

F15 connection sharing

Pasha R 05-31-2011 12:12 PM

F15 connection sharing

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Hiisi <hiisi@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On 31 May 2011 15:49, Pasha R <pashar.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Jan Willies <jan@willies.info> wrote:
> <--SNIP-->
>> Thanks, for the link, but this won't help even when it will be ready.
>> I don't have wireless connection. I have only one NIC, connected to
>> local home network, and my DSL modem connected to same network. So, I
>> want to connect to internet using PPPoE and share this connection.
>> Unfortunately, NetworkManager never supported such configuration --
>> you can only have one connection over one NIC. Fortunately,
>> system-config-network always supported it. But I can't find it in F15
>> anymore.
>>

> Maybe it's better to use old method and disable Network Manager? Then
> you could configure network by scripts.

Is old method working still? System-config-network is now console
application and it can't setup DSL connection at all. Am I missing
something here? It will be sad if I have to create ifcfg scripts
manually.

Pasha R 05-31-2011 12:12 PM

F15 connection sharing

Rahul Sundaram 06-01-2011 03:15 AM

F15 connection sharing

On 05/31/2011 05:42 PM, Pasha R wrote:
> Is old method working still? System-config-network is now console
> application and it can't setup DSL connection at all. Am I missing
> something here? It will be sad if I have to create ifcfg scripts
> manually.

system-config-network still has a gui

Rahul

Pasha R 06-01-2011 10:50 AM

F15 connection sharing

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 6:15 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/31/2011 05:42 PM, Pasha R wrote:
>> Is old method working still? System-config-network is now console
>> application and it can't setup DSL connection at all. Am I missing
>> something here? It will be sad if I have to create ifcfg scripts
>> manually.
>
> system-config-network still has a gui
>
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=264019

That's great! So, it is just isn't installed by default?
I hope this will still be available in future releases as well.