Old 05-29-2011, 12:02 PM
"Kevin H. Hobbs"

Default Selinux blocking denyhosts

I tried to install and enable denyhosts on a fresh Fedora 15 install.

I did systemctl enable denyhosts.service. systemctl ran chkconfig.

When I started the service I got this in /var/log/messages:

May 29 07:49:33 murron setroubleshoot: SELinux is preventing
/usr/bin/python from read access on the lnk_file /var/lock. For
complete SELinux messages. run sealert -l
fc8b6153-e359-409b-9310-9f0f3b3a20c7

sealert says:

SELinux is preventing /usr/bin/python from read access on the
lnk_file /var/lock.

***** Plugin restorecon (94.8 confidence) suggests
*************************

If you want to fix the label.
/var/lock default label should be var_lock_t.
Then you can run restorecon.
Do
# /sbin/restorecon -v /var/lock

***** Plugin catchall_labels (5.21 confidence) suggests
********************

If you want to allow python to have read access on the lock lnk_file
Then you need to change the label on /var/lock
Do
# semanage fcontext -a -t FILE_TYPE '/var/lock'
where FILE_TYPE is one of the following: var_run_t, var_lock_t,
bin_t, cert_t, usr_t, device_t, devlog_t, locale_t, abrt_t,
etc_t, lib_t, proc_t, root_t, device_t, ld_so_t, proc_t,
denyhosts_t, textrel_shlib_t, rpm_script_tmp_t, var_run_t.
Then execute:
restorecon -v '/var/lock'

***** Plugin catchall (1.44 confidence) suggests
***************************

If you believe that python should be allowed read access on the
lock lnk_file by default.
Then you should report this as a bug.
You can generate a local policy module to allow this access.
Do
allow this access for now by executing:
# grep denyhosts.py /var/log/audit/audit.log | audit2allow -M mypol
# semodule -i mypol.pp

Old 05-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Frank Murphy

On 29/05/11 13:02, Kevin H. Hobbs wrote:
> I tried to install and enable denyhosts on a fresh Fedora 15 install.
>
> I did systemctl enable denyhosts.service. systemctl ran chkconfig.
>
> When I started the service I got this in /var/log/messages:

The alert tells you how to allow denyhosts.
Just run it from a terminal.

Regards,

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Old 05-31-2011, 01:21 PM
Daniel J Walsh

On 05/29/2011 08:02 AM, Kevin H. Hobbs wrote:
> I tried to install and enable denyhosts on a fresh Fedora 15 install.
>
> I did systemctl enable denyhosts.service. systemctl ran chkconfig.
>
> When I started the service I got this in /var/log/messages:
>
> May 29 07:49:33 murron setroubleshoot: SELinux is preventing
> /usr/bin/python from read access on the lnk_file /var/lock. For
> complete SELinux messages. run sealert -l
> fc8b6153-e359-409b-9310-9f0f3b3a20c7
>
> sealert says:
>
> SELinux is preventing /usr/bin/python from read access on the
> lnk_file /var/lock.
>
> ***** Plugin restorecon (94.8 confidence) suggests
> *************************
>
> If you want to fix the label.
> /var/lock default label should be var_lock_t.
> Then you can run restorecon.
> Do
> # /sbin/restorecon -v /var/lock
>
> ***** Plugin catchall_labels (5.21 confidence) suggests
> ********************
>
> If you want to allow python to have read access on the lock lnk_file
> Then you need to change the label on /var/lock
> Do
> # semanage fcontext -a -t FILE_TYPE '/var/lock'
> where FILE_TYPE is one of the following: var_run_t, var_lock_t,
> bin_t, cert_t, usr_t, device_t, devlog_t, locale_t, abrt_t,
> etc_t, lib_t, proc_t, root_t, device_t, ld_so_t, proc_t,
> denyhosts_t, textrel_shlib_t, rpm_script_tmp_t, var_run_t.
> Then execute:
> restorecon -v '/var/lock'
>

> ***** Plugin catchall (1.44 confidence) suggests
> ***************************
>
> If you believe that python should be allowed read access on the
> lock lnk_file by default.
> Then you should report this as a bug.
> You can generate a local policy module to allow this access.
> Do
> allow this access for now by executing:
> # grep denyhosts.py /var/log/audit/audit.log | audit2allow -M mypol
> # semodule -i mypol.pp

restorecon -R -v /var

Should fix your problem.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:05 PM
"Kevin H. Hobbs"

On 05/31/2011 09:21 AM, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> On 05/29/2011 08:02 AM, Kevin H. Hobbs wrote:
>> sealert says:
>>
>> /var/lock default label should be var_lock_t.
> restorecon -R -v /var

Mmm that did it. denyhosts now starts.

What made me doubt the advice sealert gave me was that /var/lock
did have the label var_lock_t.

So I knew the problem was over my head.