Old 05-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Kevin Fenzi

Default Failure to detect dependency...whose responsible?

On Sun, 29 May 2011 22:59:41 +0800
Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:

> On 05/29/2011 10:52 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > Then thats why. rpmfusion doesn't have one for your current kernel,
> > but it does for the release kernel. Since that kernel is installed
> > (even though it's not booted), it will meet the dep.
>
> Seriously? It looks at what you've got installed, and not what is
> currently running?

Yes. It looks at the rpm database to see whats installed.
How would looking at whats running work?
You would never get updates for programs you didn't happen to be
running when running the update command?

> egreshko@meimei rpmfusion]$ rpm -q -R -p
> kmod-nvidia-2.6.38.6-26.rc1.fc15.x86_64-270.41.06-1.fc15.x86_64.rpm
> /bin/sh
> /bin/sh
> /sbin/depmod
> /sbin/depmod
>
> kernel-uname-r = 2.6.38.6-26.rc1.fc15.x86_64
>
> ^ equal, doesn't mean what is currently
> running....but matches any installed kernel?

It matches any installed thing that provides that.

> nvidia-kmod-common >= 1:270.41.06
> rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
> rpmlib(FileDigests) <= 4.6.0-1
> rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
> rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1
>

> That just seems like a disaster waiting to happen....

In what way?

You could install now and reboot in the old kernel and use it.

kevin

Old 05-29-2011, 04:53 PM
Joe Zeff

On 05/29/2011 06:16 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> I am confident the right stuff will get installed when the packages get up dated. But I'm concerned that any circumstance could exist that would allow the wrong package to be installed.

In a perfect world that would never happen. Of course, this is *not* a
perfect world and people sometimes either make mistakes or get behind.
Tish happens.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Ed Greshko

On 05/30/2011 12:53 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> In a perfect world that would never happen. Of course, this is*not* a
> perfect world and people sometimes either make mistakes or get behind.
> Tish happens.

I don't want those designers anywhere near my nuclear power plant or
airplane. :-)