Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora User (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/)
-   -   kmod-nvidia or dkms? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/532034-kmod-nvidia-dkms.html)

Ed Greshko 05-29-2011 03:49 AM

kmod-nvidia or dkms?
 
I've just installed F15 x86_64 and have been trying my best to use the
nouveau driver. However, it is falling short. I could probably live
with the failures in some of the "desktop effects" in KDE. But, the one
I can't seem to accept is the inability run GNOME 3 in a Vbox guest. In
F11 to get this running, I had the nVidia drivers loaded and checked
enable 3D support in Vbox. Worked fine. As it is, the Vbox guest
crashes when starting GNOME. It "quarter" works with KDE.... No
crash....but lousy rendering.

When I was using F11 I used the dkms method because I wanted retain the
same nVidia version and still not worry about kernel updates.

I'm thinking of changing to the kmod method from rpmfusion. Has anyone
gone this route with F15? Any gotchas or things their install misses?
Works out of the box?

Thanks,
Ed

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Genes MailLists 05-29-2011 04:19 AM

kmod-nvidia or dkms?
 
On 05/28/2011 11:49 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:

>
> I'm thinking of changing to the kmod method from rpmfusion. Has anyone
> gone this route with F15? Any gotchas or things their install misses?
> Works out of the box?
>

rpmfusion auto kernel module rebuild is done with akmods not dkms .. so
instead of installing kmod-nvidia (or in addition if you like) install
akmod-nvidia which will build kmod-nvidia for you if its not there.

seems to be operating with rpmfusion (you'll need free and nonfree).

gene/

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Ed Greshko 05-29-2011 04:54 AM

kmod-nvidia or dkms?
 
On 05/29/2011 12:19 PM, Genes MailLists wrote:
> rpmfusion auto kernel module rebuild is done with akmods not dkms .. so
> instead of installing kmod-nvidia (or in addition if you like) install
> akmod-nvidia which will build kmod-nvidia for you if its not there.
>
> seems to be operating with rpmfusion (you'll need free and nonfree).

I see.... I also see I didn't quite phrase my question as well as I
should have.... :-(

Should have included.... Does the rpmfusion install do the necessary
steps of blacklisting the nouveau driver and (if still necessary) add
the nomodset parameter to the kernel line?

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Rahul Sundaram 05-29-2011 05:39 AM

kmod-nvidia or dkms?
 
On 05/29/2011 10:24 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Should have included.... Does the rpmfusion install do the necessary
> steps of blacklisting the nouveau driver and (if still necessary) add
> the nomodset parameter to the kernel line?

rpm -q --scripts <packagename> should tell you such info

Rahul

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Ed Greshko 05-29-2011 05:52 AM

kmod-nvidia or dkms?
 
On 05/29/2011 01:39 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> rpm -q --scripts<packagename> should tell you such info

Doesn't the package have to be installed for this to work?
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Ed Greshko 05-29-2011 05:55 AM

kmod-nvidia or dkms?
 
On 05/29/2011 01:52 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 05/29/2011 01:39 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> rpm -q --scripts<packagename> should tell you such info
>
> Doesn't the package have to be installed for this to work?

Sorry....forgot to add that maybe you forgot to add the "-p" parameter...
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Rahul Sundaram 05-29-2011 05:55 AM

kmod-nvidia or dkms?
 
On 05/29/2011 11:22 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 05/29/2011 01:39 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> rpm -q --scripts<packagename> should tell you such info
> Doesn't the package have to be installed for this to work?

Yes. Don't see a problem there. Install it and run the query. If you
must avoid installing the package for some reason, install the srpm and
look at the spec file.

Rahul

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Ed Greshko 05-29-2011 06:00 AM

kmod-nvidia or dkms?
 
On 05/29/2011 01:55 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Yes. Don't see a problem there. Install it and run the query. If you
> must avoid installing the package for some reason, install the srpm and
> look at the spec file.

Being the cautious type, I find it better to download the packages and
run what you've suggested with "-p".

Thanks for the suggestion, it did provide the necessary information.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Genes MailLists 05-29-2011 03:52 PM

kmod-nvidia or dkms?
 
On 05/29/2011 12:54 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 05/29/2011 12:19 PM, Genes MailLists wrote:
>> rpmfusion auto kernel module rebuild is done with akmods not dkms .. so
>> instead of installing kmod-nvidia (or in addition if you like) install
>> akmod-nvidia which will build kmod-nvidia for you if its not there.
>>
>> seems to be operating with rpmfusion (you'll need free and nonfree).
>
> I see.... I also see I didn't quite phrase my question as well as I
> should have.... :-(
>
> Should have included.... Does the rpmfusion install do the necessary
> steps of blacklisting the nouveau driver and (if still necessary) add
> the nomodset parameter to the kernel line?
>
Yes I believe so ..
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:50 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.