Old 05-29-2011, 01:15 AM
Bob Goodwin

Default Raid Monitor -

One of the items that my F-15 boot process stalls for a few
seconds at:

"Started LSB: Start and stop the MD software raid monitor"

That doesn't sound like something I need since I don't have a
raid system. Is there something I can disable or remove to
eliminate that?

Bob

Old 05-29-2011, 04:55 PM
john wendel

On 05/28/2011 06:15 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> One of the items that my F-15 boot process stalls for a few
> seconds at:
>
> "Started LSB: Start and stop the MD software raid monitor"
>
> That doesn't sound like something I need since I don't have a
> raid system. Is there something I can disable or remove to
> eliminate that?
>
> Bob

chkconfig mdmonitor off

John

Old 05-29-2011, 06:13 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 29/05/11 12:55, john wendel wrote:
> On 05/28/2011 06:15 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> One of the items that my F-15 boot process stalls for a few
>> seconds at:
>>
>> "Started LSB: Start and stop the MD software raid monitor"
>>
>> That doesn't sound like something I need since I don't have a
>> raid system. Is there something I can disable or remove to
>> eliminate that?
>>
>> Bob
>>

> chkconfig mdmonitor off
>
> John

Thanks, that worked. It now zips through the boot process except
for one new stalling point:

/FS-Cache: netfs 'nfs' registered for caching/

I tried turning off netfs too but it still stops at the same
point, apparently nfs is causing that and I want it to connect
to the nfs server.

I'll keep chipping away and eventually get a smooth boot.

Bob

Old 05-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 29/05/11 14:13, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 29/05/11 12:55, john wendel wrote:
>> On 05/28/2011 06:15 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>> One of the items that my F-15 boot process stalls for a few
>>> seconds at:
>>>
>>> "Started LSB: Start and stop the MD software raid
>>> monitor"
>>>
>>> That doesn't sound like something I need since I don't have a
>>> raid system. Is there something I can disable or remove to
>>> eliminate that?
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>

>> chkconfig mdmonitor off
>>
>> John
>>

> Thanks, that worked. It now zips through the boot process except
> for one new stalling point:
>
> /FS-Cache: netfs 'nfs' registered for caching/
>
> I tried turning off netfs too but it still stops at the same
> point, apparently nfs is causing that and I want it to connect
> to the nfs server.
>
> I'll keep chipping away and eventually get a smooth boot.
>
> Bob

I tried to restore things with chkconfig and had problems. Tried
chkconfig defaults in order to be able to boot again but now
ethtool says there's no device, so no connection to anything. It
can't find the ethernet port.

It looks like the boot process goes normally but when I'm logged
in there's no eth1 connection for bobg or root.

Can anyone tell me how to troubleshoot this?

Bob

Old 05-29-2011, 09:26 PM
john wendel

On 05/29/2011 01:40 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 29/05/11 14:13, Bob Goodwin wrote:

>>> chkconfig mdmonitor off
>>>
>>> John
>>>

>> Thanks, that worked. It now zips through the boot process except
>> for one new stalling point:
>>
>> /FS-Cache: netfs 'nfs' registered for caching/
>>
>> I tried turning off netfs too but it still stops at the same
>> point, apparently nfs is causing that and I want it to connect
>> to the nfs server.
>>
>> I'll keep chipping away and eventually get a smooth boot.
>>
>> Bob
>>

> I tried to restore things with chkconfig and had problems. Tried
> chkconfig defaults in order to be able to boot again but now
> ethtool says there's no device, so no connection to anything. It
> can't find the ethernet port.
>
> It looks like the boot process goes normally but when I'm logged
> in there's no eth1 connection for bobg or root.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to troubleshoot this?
>
> Bob

What does "ifconfig -a" show ? On F15, my ethernet is device "p7p1" (or
some such crazy shit, I don't have access to the box at this time, so
this is from memory).

John

Old 05-29-2011, 10:02 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 29/05/11 17:26, john wendel wrote:
> On 05/29/2011 01:40 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> Can anyone tell me how to troubleshoot this?
>>
>> Bob
>>
> What does "ifconfig -a" show ? On F15, my ethernet is device "p7p1" (or
> some such crazy shit, I don't have access to the box at this time, so
> this is from memory).
>
> John

I can't easily transfer files to this computer without my
network connection on the F15 but ifconfig shows em1 Link
encap:Ethernet HWaddr00: etc., lo for loopback, p2p1 with a
different hardware address.

Ethtool still shows no device, actually there are two ports, I
use eth1 'cause it's a gigabit card I bought, eth0 is on the board.

Bob

As though I don't have enough problems my internet connction
went off! Have to shut down the receiver for a minute to
reinialize things and then wait for it to lock on to the
satellite! I think we are back up ...

Old 05-29-2011, 11:21 PM
Tom H

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 5:26 PM, john wendel <jwendel10@comcast.net> wrote:

> On F15, my ethernet is device "p7p1" (or some such crazy shit.

That's biosdevname's doing:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ConsistentNetworkDeviceNaming