Old 05-30-2011, 06:52 PM
Fernando Cassia

Default Today's GNOME3 funny

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 04:20, Misha Shnurapet
<shnurapet@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> VMs don't have a working 3D support. I don't know why you keep trying.

Virtualbox does. At least when using Windows as the host.

http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/475

FC

Old 05-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 06:54, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@gmail.com> wrote:
> and the VBox-provided drivers for
> the WinXP client need to be installed when the client is in safe-mode, if they
> are to work. Or something like that, I don't remember exactly.

I donīt remember having to to boot into safe mode. The only thing I
remember are the warnings from Windows itself because the VBox drivers
are not digitally signed... or have not passed WHQL certification
(which I believe involves paying Microsoft).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WHQL_Testing

But I could be wrong.
FC

Old 05-30-2011, 07:14 PM
"G.Wolfe Woodbury"

On 05/30/2011 01:33 PM, Greg Woods wrote:
> running with F14 as the host OS, and I can repeat this phenomenon with
> the System Info. Very weird. CTRL-Alt-Backspace (sends you back to the
> login screen) also works for recovery. I have yet to figure out how to
> do a CTRL-ALT-F2 in a Vbox guest, as this normally sends the *host* OS
> to the text console. Probably some Vbox setting we have different.
> CTRL-Alt-Backspace can be sent to the guest from the Machine menu in
> Vbox.
The way to get other VT's in Virtual Box is "right control"+"F<N>"

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury
redwolfe(proventesters)

Old 05-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Greg Woods

On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 15:14 -0400, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:

> The way to get other VT's in Virtual Box is "right control"+"F<N>"

Thanks for the tip, works like a champ!

--Greg

Old 05-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 00:12, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:
> I was looking at gnome3.org today, and their FAQ says that "The traditional
> GNOME 2 desktop will not disappear overnight, however: releases of GNOME 2 will
> continue to be supported by distributions for years to come." so clearly they
> don't imagine everyone will drop all their software and retrain all their users
> overnight.

Just like KDE 3.5 was supported by the distros for years to come? And
don't mention Trinity, save us both some time.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 05-31-2011, 07:08 PM
Olav Vitters

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 09:52:38AM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Actually that's neither gnome-shell or GNOME2, but yet another user interface.
> If it has a name other than fallback mode, I don't know it, and it's poorly
> documented, as is appropriate for something which doesn't seem to be intended
> for actual daily use.

It is GNOME panel, ported to gtk3, no bonobo, etc.

Olav