Old 05-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Default Why no icons? Was, How to switch back to metacity

Steven Stern writes:

On 05/28/2011 12:57 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 05/28/2011 05:31 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>>
>> My biggest culture shock is losing all of my desktop icons.
>
> Now this is something I just can't understand. I don't want to start an
> argument, but does anybody know why this decision was made?

Install gnome-tweak-tool and select "Have the File Manager handle the
desktop".

That's only a partial solution. I still get a blank screen when I log in.
Its necessary to manually open the file manager before the desktop icons
show up.

And I still find no equivalent settings for having my input focus follow the
mouse pointer, and for windows to autoraise upon gaining focus.

And I still lost all my panel applets; my weather applet, and my hardware
health sensors monitoring applet.

And looks like I've heard the last of my startup sound.

The fallback mode is not much of a fallback. It does not restore any of that
functionality.

I do detect a rather consistent pattern through all of this, though.

P.S. I can't find a single bit's worth of difference after installing gnome-
shell-extensions-user-theme. I can't find any UI component that will
supposedly offer me to set a UI scheme, even if the list of available
choices is an empty list. I have "gnome-shell-extensions-user-theme"
installed, yet tweaks still claims that "user theme extension not enabled".
I'm ready to give up.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Bill Davidsen writes:

Retraining users to use GNOME3 and finding new tools to do old tasks is as
productive as a decision to change from left hand to right hand drive cars
while
learning a from an instruction manual written in a language they have to
learn

first. Learning new things is good, having to learn a new way to do the old
things, not so much.

The analogy is not quite right. What's the new way for sticking a bunch of
applets off to the side of the screen, so they can flash their icons at you
whenever something important happens? If this is supposed to be all about
productivity, I think it's very much productive to be able to constantly
monitor the status of half a dozen apps in realtime, with a minimum of real-
estate and without having a bunch of annoying windows constantly popping up.

Even Gnome3 recognizes the value of this concept, because it still does that
with NetworkManager, the battery monitor, and a few other things. So, what's
so special about those, that doesn't apply to the weather applet, the
sensors applet, and all the other applets? I reject the argument that
applets are passť.

Or, perhaps, I misread the list archives and there's nothing wrong with
having applets around, except that most of them haven't been converted to
gnome3 yet. Ok then, but perhaps it would've made more sense until most
applets have been converted to gnome3, before removing gnome2 entirely.

The new way also allows you to have multiple app windows open on a desktop,
so what's the new way equivalent of switching to the application merely by
moving the pointer into a window, and have it gain focus and raise to the
top of the window stack, automatically, without requiring an extra click?
This is a very good way to flip back and forth between multiple windows,
without extra pounding on your wrist. So, what's the new way of doing that?

Old 05-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Sam Varshavchik

Peter Boy writes:

Am Samstag, den 28.05.2011, 17:27 -0400 schrieb Bill Davidsen:
> Learning new things is good, having to learn a new way to do the old
> things, not so much.

That is exactly my problem as well. Unfortunately I couldn't spent the
time over the last months to make my own experiences using the betas but
just followed closely the discussion here and was concerned. Yesterday I
downloaded the live image and made my experiences. Now I'm simply
horrified. I use Fedora for my daily work and just can't spend the time
to reorganize all my working habits and routines.

So my question, perhaps slightly OT for this thread: Did you find a way
to handle the situation?

Is there some kind of "Fedora survival guide for unteachable Gnome2
users" around?

One option is "yum groupinstall xfce". Or, kde. KDE, though, is huge.

If you need applets, and xfce's has replacement applets that work for you,
this would be the best option. Instead of gnome-terminal, which loses its
mind with xfce, xfce's Terminal is a virtual clone.

This morning's file-roller update, apparently, fixed it so it comes up
automatically upon login if you set it via tweaks to manage the desktop.
That's a much smoother experience. If it were the default when updating from
gnome 2, it would somewhat lessen the culture shock. And enable the
minimize/maximize window buttons, by default, via tweaks too. Really,
there's absolutely no good reason to turn them off, except for religious
ones. The real estate is wasted anyway, nothing gets lost by turning them
back on.

With gnome-shell-extensions-alternative-status-menu, gnome-shell-extensions-
places-menu, and gnome-tweak-tool, with maximize/minimize and automatic file-
roller enabled in tweaks, I'd estimate that brings me to about 75% parity
with gnome 2. What's missing are the applets, a comparable selection of
applets, a customizable startup sound, customizable compiz desktop effects,
and input interface customizations. Also, I can't find the settings to
configure input focus to follow the pointer, and window autoraise on focus
gain. It's working for me, so I either inherited them from gnome2, the
underlying code is still there but the UI is gone; or this is the default
for gnome3. If so, forcing this on everyone is no better than not having it
at all.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:52 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Michael Schwendt writes:

On Sat, 28 May 2011 14:54:16 -0400, SV wrote:

> And I still find no equivalent settings for having my input focus follow
the

> mouse pointer, and for windows to autoraise upon gaining focus.

Ironically, these old settings do still work in GNOME Shell, too:

gconftool-2 --set -t bool /apps/metacity/general/auto_raise true
gconftool-2 --set -t int /apps/metacity/general/auto_raise_delay 700
gconftool-2 --set -t string /apps/metacity/general/focus_mode mouse

And no, it's not (!) fallback mode here.

That worked.

Need to figure out what's more likely, that the missing UI for this, for
battery power alert thresholds, for sound themes, and others, will
eventually be restored, or whether the shark has been jumped, and the
underlying functionality will be removed instead.