Old 05-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Alan Cox

Default Why no icons? Was, How to switch back to metacity

> being done by Adam Jackson from Red Hat to include support for software
> rendering of GNOME Shell or more accurately, Clutter, the toolkit used
> by GNOME Shell. This is not done yet and it is not clear how efficient
> it would be

Is this pure software or using 2D acceleration where possible. For a lot
of "using GL for windowing" cases the surfaces, textured or otherwise are
generally flat on and usually 1:1 scaled which are 2D fast paths on a lot
of older non 3D (or non good 3D) cards ?

Alan

Old 05-29-2011, 03:35 PM
Greg Woods

On Sun, 2011-05-29 at 20:34 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> GNOME 3 runs fine on a VM including the fallback mode. GNOME Shell also
> runs on a VM if you look at the latest version of VirtualBox.

I have been unable to get this to work. I am using Vbox 4.0.8 (latest
version) and the Nvidia proprietary drivers. I have checked "enable 3D
acceleration" in the Vbox settings for this VM. But Gnome 3 still starts
in fallback mode. What else is needed to make this work?

--Greg

Old 05-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 05/29/2011 09:05 PM, Greg Woods wrote:

> I have been unable to get this to work. I am using Vbox 4.0.8 (latest
> version) and the Nvidia proprietary drivers. I have checked "enable 3D
> acceleration" in the Vbox settings for this VM. But Gnome 3 still starts
> in fallback mode. What else is needed to make this work?

I don't use VirtualBox. I just know of reports of it working with the
latest version. For instance

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/virtualbox-408-released-with-gnome.html

Rahul

Old 05-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Greg Woods

On Sun, 2011-05-29 at 21:16 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> I just know of reports of it working with the
> latest version. For instance
>
> http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/virtualbox-408-released-with-gnome.html

Seems to be a very delicate thing. In that case, they are talking about
Vbox running with F15 as the host OS and an Ubuntu 11.04 guest running
Gnome Shell. What I am trying to do (basically following those
instructions) is to run an F15 guest with Vbox running on an F14 host
desktop. That has not worked other than in fallback mode, even with "3D
acceleration" checked.

--Greg

Old 05-29-2011, 06:38 PM
David

On 5/29/2011 2:26 PM, Greg Woods wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-05-29 at 21:16 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> I just know of reports of it working with the
>> latest version. For instance
>>
>> http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/virtualbox-408-released-with-gnome.html
>
> Seems to be a very delicate thing. In that case, they are talking about
> Vbox running with F15 as the host OS and an Ubuntu 11.04 guest running
> Gnome Shell. What I am trying to do (basically following those
> instructions) is to run an F15 guest with Vbox running on an F14 host
> desktop. That has not worked other than in fallback mode, even with "3D
> acceleration" checked.

Did you install the Guest Additions and run the script to compile the
Vbox drivers?

--

David

Old 05-29-2011, 06:42 PM
Joe Zeff

On 05/29/2011 11:26 AM, Greg Woods wrote:
> Seems to be a very delicate thing. In that case, they are talking about
> Vbox running with F15 as the host OS and an Ubuntu 11.04 guest running
> Gnome Shell

Am I the only person on this list that finds it odd that not one of the
posts in this thread has even tried to address the question I posed in
the subject line: why did the Gnome devs decide that there shouldn't be
any icons in the Gnome Shell?

Old 05-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Andre Robatino

Greg Woods <woods <at> ucar.edu> writes:

> Seems to be a very delicate thing. In that case, they are talking about
> Vbox running with F15 as the host OS and an Ubuntu 11.04 guest running
> Gnome Shell. What I am trying to do (basically following those
> instructions) is to run an F15 guest with Vbox running on an F14 host
> desktop. That has not worked other than in fallback mode, even with "3D
> acceleration" checked.

AIUI, the host needs to be Gnome Shell capable as well for this to work, since
VirtualBox is trying to use 3D passthrough (someone correct me if this is wrong,
I haven't tried it on a non-3D capable host). You could test the host by using a
F15 live image to see if it comes up in Gnome Shell or fallback mode.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:51 PM
Steven Stern

On 05/29/2011 01:42 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 05/29/2011 11:26 AM, Greg Woods wrote:
>> Seems to be a very delicate thing. In that case, they are talking about
>> Vbox running with F15 as the host OS and an Ubuntu 11.04 guest running
>> Gnome Shell
>
> Am I the only person on this list that finds it odd that not one of the
> posts in this thread has even tried to address the question I posed in
> the subject line: why did the Gnome devs decide that there shouldn't be
> any icons in the Gnome Shell?

Because that was hashed out a long time ago in the F15 alpha days and on
the Gnome mailing lists. Now, it is what it it is.

I'm using Avant Windows Navigator to make a more Mac-like look and feel
for Gnome 3 -- and I've never been one to put files on my desktop.

http://www.sterndata.com/content/gnome-3-and-awn-new-desktop

--
-- Steve

Old 05-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Joe Zeff

On 05/29/2011 11:51 AM, Steven Stern wrote:
> Because that was hashed out a long time ago in the F15 alpha days and on
> the Gnome mailing lists. Now, it is what it it is.

Please understand that my interest is only academic; I don't use Gnome
any more. Gnome can go in whatever direction it wants without any
argument or complaint from me because what Gnome does no longer affects
me. I am, however, curious about the reasoning behind the decision. If
you know, and your reply implies that you do, please explain. I'm quite
willing to believe that they had what they consider to be good reasons
to do something like this but they're not obvious to me and I'm always
willing to listen to "the other side" and try to understand their POV.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Sun, 29 May 2011 12:01:51 -0700
Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:

> On 05/29/2011 11:51 AM, Steven Stern wrote:
> > Because that was hashed out a long time ago in the F15 alpha days
> > and on the Gnome mailing lists. Now, it is what it it is.
>
> Please understand that my interest is only academic; I don't use
> Gnome any more. Gnome can go in whatever direction it wants without
> any argument or complaint from me because what Gnome does no longer
> affects me. I am, however, curious about the reasoning behind the
> decision. If you know, and your reply implies that you do, please
> explain. I'm quite willing to believe that they had what they
> consider to be good reasons to do something like this but they're not
> obvious to me and I'm always willing to listen to "the other side"
> and try to understand their POV.

I would suggest there are better places to ask that and look for that
info.

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/FAQ

There's a much longer pdf design doc off the first link as well, I
glanced at it, but wasn't able to find anything that specifically
answered your question.

HTH

kevin