Old 05-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Gary Waters

Default Samsung 2525w F15 installation problem

Hello,

I purchased a samsung 2525w printer and installed it without a hitch in
fedora 12. Please note there appears to be no ppd file for this printer,
but a 3-part driver download. Everything worked fine in F12; however,
this is not the case in F15. Below are the error messages I get when
attempting to install:

[root@localhost Linux]# sh install.sh
**** It seems Qt library is not installed, or X display is not accessible.
**** Custom Qt library will be configured for use with this package.
GUI mode installer execution failed, proceeding in text mode
**** Running text mode install
**** Press Enter to continue or q and then Enter to quit

I then press enter to continue and get this response:

**** Non-priviliged users found:
nfsnobody
**** Are you going to use USB-connected devices ?
**** If yes, users allowed to scan or manage printers should be added to lp
**** group. The list of non-privileged users proposed for addition is
shown above.
**** Press y and then Enter to add users or Enter to leave lp group intact:

I then press "y" and "enter" and get this response. I shortened the list
to reduce clutter:

**** Print drivers for the following device models available:
ML-2010spl2 ML-2150ps ML-2150spl2 ML-2240spl2 ML-2245spl2 ML-2250spl2
ML-2510spl2 ML-2525w
**** Please enter model to install and press Enter:

Once I enter the model number and press enter, gnome crashes and I end
up back at the login screen.

When I repeat the same step and simply hit "enter" the leave lp group
intact and once again choose the model number and hit enter there is a
quick flash of text in konsole about something installing ( possibly
sane backends ) and poof...same result...gnome crashes and I end up back
at the login screen. The same thing happens from KDE

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I did some googling and saw others
with the same issue in other distros, but no concrete solutions. Please
note that I am not an extremely experienced Linux user.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Gary Waters

On 05/28/2011 12:18 PM, Gary Waters wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I purchased a samsung 2525w printer and installed it without a hitch in
> fedora 12. Please note there appears to be no ppd file for this printer,
> but a 3-part driver download. Everything worked fine in F12; however,
> this is not the case in F15. Below are the error messages I get when
> attempting to install:
>
> [root@localhost Linux]# sh install.sh
> **** It seems Qt library is not installed, or X display is not accessible.
> **** Custom Qt library will be configured for use with this package.
> GUI mode installer execution failed, proceeding in text mode
> **** Running text mode install
> **** Press Enter to continue or q and then Enter to quit
>

> I then press enter to continue and get this response:
>

> **** Non-priviliged users found:
> nfsnobody
> **** Are you going to use USB-connected devices ?
> **** If yes, users allowed to scan or manage printers should be added to lp
> **** group. The list of non-privileged users proposed for addition is
> shown above.
> **** Press y and then Enter to add users or Enter to leave lp group intact:
>
> I then press "y" and "enter" and get this response. I shortened the list
> to reduce clutter:
>
> **** Print drivers for the following device models available:
> ML-2010spl2 ML-2150ps ML-2150spl2 ML-2240spl2 ML-2245spl2 ML-2250spl2
> ML-2510spl2 ML-2525w
> **** Please enter model to install and press Enter:
>
> Once I enter the model number and press enter, gnome crashes and I end
> up back at the login screen.
>
> When I repeat the same step and simply hit "enter" the leave lp group
> intact and once again choose the model number and hit enter there is a
> quick flash of text in konsole about something installing ( possibly
> sane backends ) and poof...same result...gnome crashes and I end up back
> at the login screen. The same thing happens from KDE
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated. I did some googling and saw others
> with the same issue in other distros, but no concrete solutions. Please
> note that I am not an extremely experienced Linux user.

Ok...I retract. The ppd file for this printer is on in
cdroot3/Linux/noarch/at_opt/share. Simply launch system-config-printer
and browse for the file. I got it working that way. I'm going to assume
this will be the case for many newer samsung printers. The Linux driver
was not on the provided CD, but was available as a three-part package on
the samsung site.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:09 PM
fred smith

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 12:54:04PM -0400, Gary Waters wrote:
> On 05/28/2011 12:18 PM, Gary Waters wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I purchased a samsung 2525w printer and installed it without a hitch in
> > fedora 12. Please note there appears to be no ppd file for this printer,
> > but a 3-part driver download. Everything worked fine in F12; however,
> > this is not the case in F15. Below are the error messages I get when
> > attempting to install:
<snippage>
> > Any suggestions would be appreciated. I did some googling and saw others
> > with the same issue in other distros, but no concrete solutions. Please
> > note that I am not an extremely experienced Linux user.
>
> Ok...I retract. The ppd file for this printer is on in
> cdroot3/Linux/noarch/at_opt/share. Simply launch system-config-printer
> and browse for the file. I got it working that way. I'm going to assume
> this will be the case for many newer samsung printers. The Linux driver
> was not on the provided CD, but was available as a three-part package on
> the samsung site.

Just wondering, not having that printer myself:
if you install all the cups* packages, and all the foomatic* packages,
does system-config-printer already have that printer (or a close one)
listed? i.e., so you won't have to use the driver from Samsung?

E.g.: my Brother HL2070-N isn't listed, but if I choose HL-2060 then
choose the foomatic/HL1250 printer driver it works just peachy.
Often the same kind of thing works for other printers, just takes
a little judicious experimentation.

community.
--Roger Ebert, December, 1996

Old 05-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Gary Waters

On 05/28/2011 01:09 PM, fred smith wrote:
> On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 12:54:04PM -0400, Gary Waters wrote:
>> On 05/28/2011 12:18 PM, Gary Waters wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I purchased a samsung 2525w printer and installed it without a hitch in
>>> fedora 12. Please note there appears to be no ppd file for this printer,
>>> but a 3-part driver download. Everything worked fine in F12; however,
>>> this is not the case in F15. Below are the error messages I get when
>>> attempting to install:
> <snippage>
>>> Any suggestions would be appreciated. I did some googling and saw others
>>> with the same issue in other distros, but no concrete solutions. Please
>>> note that I am not an extremely experienced Linux user.
>>
>> Ok...I retract. The ppd file for this printer is on in
>> cdroot3/Linux/noarch/at_opt/share. Simply launch system-config-printer
>> and browse for the file. I got it working that way. I'm going to assume
>> this will be the case for many newer samsung printers. The Linux driver
>> was not on the provided CD, but was available as a three-part package on
>> the samsung site.
>>

> Just wondering, not having that printer myself:
> if you install all the cups* packages, and all the foomatic* packages,
> does system-config-printer already have that printer (or a close one)
> listed? i.e., so you won't have to use the driver from Samsung?
>
> E.g.: my Brother HL2070-N isn't listed, but if I choose HL-2060 then
> choose the foomatic/HL1250 printer driver it works just peachy.
> Often the same kind of thing works for other printers, just takes
> a little judicious experimentation.

It wasn't listed. Once I flicked the printer on "plug and pray" detected
the correct model and then informed me that there was no available
driver. I had to manually use the ppd. Strangely enough the folder
containing the ppd for the 2525w contained a slew of other config files
for various samsung printers. It must be a universal install package

Everything works fine now. I even have it configured in a windows XP
virtualbox installation.

GW