Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora User (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/)
-   -   Accidentally setting home (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/531848-accidentally-setting-home.html)

Dotan Cohen 05-28-2011 01:02 PM

Accidentally setting home
 
I came across an interesting warning while googling an issue:
apparently chowning another user's home directory will change your own
home directory? That is what is warned here:
http://www.ambience.sk/old/user-account-copy-linux
Search that page for commenter hollerith's comments, which another
commenter verifies.

Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Michael Schwendt 05-28-2011 01:23 PM

Accidentally setting home
 
On Sat, 28 May 2011 16:02:13 +0300, DC wrote:

> I came across an interesting warning while googling an issue:
> apparently chowning another user's home directory will change your own
> home directory? That is what is warned here:
> http://www.ambience.sk/old/user-account-copy-linux
> Search that page for commenter hollerith's comments, which another
> commenter verifies.

Nonsense. Couldn't you have quoted the relevant command-line?
It uses

/home/newuser/.*

which is _not_ "another user's home directory", because the .* also
includes .., the parent directory, which in this case is /home.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Dotan Cohen 05-28-2011 05:36 PM

Accidentally setting home
 
On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 16:23, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 28 May 2011 16:02:13 +0300, DC wrote:
>
>> I came across an interesting warning while googling an issue:
>> apparently chowning another user's home directory will change your own
>> home directory? That is what is warned here:
>> http://www.ambience.sk/old/user-account-copy-linux
>> Search that page for commenter hollerith's comments, which another
>> commenter verifies.
>
> Nonsense. Couldn't you have quoted the relevant command-line?
> It uses
>
> */home/newuser/.*
>
> which is _not_ "another user's home directory", because the .* also
> includes .., the parent directory, which in this case is /home.
>

It looks to me that the gentleman who wrote the article tried to
address dotfiles with that command without thinking about the . and ..
files. I didn't think about those either until you made it explicit,
and now I understand what the issue it.

Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

suvayu ali 05-28-2011 07:18 PM

Accidentally setting home
 
Hi Michael,

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 6:23 AM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com> wrote:
> because the .* also
> includes .., the parent directory, which in this case is /home

A quick question, how can one use globs to expand only dotfiles
without including ".."?

--
Suvayu

Open source is the future. It sets us free.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Patrick O'Callaghan 05-28-2011 10:45 PM

Accidentally setting home
 
On Sat, 2011-05-28 at 12:18 -0700, suvayu ali wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 6:23 AM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com> wrote:
> > because the .* also
> > includes .., the parent directory, which in this case is /home
>
> A quick question, how can one use globs to expand only dotfiles
> without including ".."?


$ ls .[^.]*

poc

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

suvayu ali 05-29-2011 03:03 AM

Accidentally setting home
 
On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-05-28 at 12:18 -0700, suvayu ali wrote:
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 6:23 AM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > because the .* also
>> > includes .., the parent directory, which in this case is /home
>>
>> A quick question, how can one use globs to expand only dotfiles
>> without including ".."?
>
>
> $ ls .[^.]*
>

Thanks a lot Patrick, I had no idea ls accepted regular expressions!

> poc

--
Suvayu

Open source is the future. It sets us free.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Tim 05-29-2011 03:12 AM

Accidentally setting home
 
On Sat, 2011-05-28 at 20:03 -0700, suvayu ali wrote:
> I had no idea ls accepted regular expressions!

I was under the impression that the shell handler does *all* of those
wildcarding tricks, before handing over to the program.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
read messages from the public lists.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Patrick O'Callaghan 05-29-2011 03:22 AM

Accidentally setting home
 
On Sat, 2011-05-28 at 20:03 -0700, suvayu ali wrote:
> On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2011-05-28 at 12:18 -0700, suvayu ali wrote:
> >> Hi Michael,
> >>
> >> On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 6:23 AM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> > because the .* also
> >> > includes .., the parent directory, which in this case is /home
> >>
> >> A quick question, how can one use globs to expand only dotfiles
> >> without including ".."?
> >
> >
> > $ ls .[^.]*
> >
>
> Thanks a lot Patrick, I had no idea ls accepted regular expressions!

It doesn't. You need to read up on how the Shell works.

poc

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Patrick O'Callaghan 05-29-2011 03:23 AM

Accidentally setting home
 
On Sun, 2011-05-29 at 12:42 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-05-28 at 20:03 -0700, suvayu ali wrote:
> > I had no idea ls accepted regular expressions!
>
> I was under the impression that the shell handler does *all* of those
> wildcarding tricks, before handing over to the program.

Of course. I merely used ls as an example. I could have used echo.

poc

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

suvayu ali 05-29-2011 03:29 AM

Accidentally setting home
 
Hi Patrick,

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 8:22 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > $ ls .[^.]*
>> >
>>
>> Thanks a lot Patrick, I had no idea ls accepted regular expressions!
>
> It doesn't. You need to read up on how the Shell works.

I was under the impression the shell accepts simple globs like '?' for
any single character and '*' for any one or more characters hence I
assumed it is an ls feature. I just read the "pattern matching"
section in 'man bash' and realised I was misinformed. :)

Thanks a lot.

--
Suvayu

Open source is the future. It sets us free.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:37 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.