Old 05-29-2011, 04:01 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

Default Accidentally setting home

On Sat, 2011-05-28 at 20:29 -0700, suvayu ali wrote:
> Hi Patrick,

> >> Thanks a lot Patrick, I had no idea ls accepted regular expressions!
> >
> > It doesn't. You need to read up on how the Shell works.
>
> I was under the impression the shell accepts simple globs like '?' for
> any single character and '*' for any one or more characters hence I
> assumed it is an ls feature. I just read the "pattern matching"
> section in 'man bash' and realised I was misinformed.

The use of regular expressions for filename matching dates back to the
beginnings of Unix. In fact on 16-bit machines it was actually done in a
separate program called /etc/glob, called by the Shell when needed,
since otherwise the Shell process would have been too big for the
address space (64Kb :-). Those days have long gone of course.

BTW this is where we get the verb "globbing" meaning "filename
expansion".

poc

Old 05-29-2011, 05:52 AM
suvayu ali

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 9:01 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was under the impression the shell accepts simple globs like '?' for
>> any single character and '*' for any one or more characters hence I
>> assumed it is an ls feature. I just read the "pattern matching"
>> section in 'man bash' and realised I was misinformed.
>
> The use of regular expressions for filename matching dates back to the
> beginnings of Unix. In fact on 16-bit machines it was actually done in a
> separate program called /etc/glob, called by the Shell when needed,
> since otherwise the Shell process would have been too big for the
> address space (64Kb :-). Those days have long gone of course.
>
> BTW this is where we get the verb "globbing" meaning "filename
> expansion".

Always a pleasure every time you pitch in with these wonderful
historical anecdotes.

--
Suvayu