-   -   How to switch back to metacity (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/531840-how-switch-back-metacity.html)

Sam Varshavchik 05-28-2011 12:31 PM

How to switch back to metacity

After updating F14 to F15, my user account was automatically reconfigured to
launch the new gnome shell.

I'd like to switch back to metacity, at least for a while, but I am unable
to find any way to do it through any of the available GUIs.

How do I switch back to metacity?

My biggest culture shock is losing all of my desktop icons. The hack
described at
http://boubakr22.wordpress.com/2011/05/26/gnome-shell-show-icons-on-desktop/
is only a partial solution, as I still have to choose "Places → Desktop" to
get my icons to go on the desktop after logging in.

Sam Varshavchik 05-28-2011 12:47 PM

Sam Varshavchik writes:

After updating F14 to F15, my user account was automatically reconfigured to
launch the new gnome shell.

I'd like to switch back to metacity, at least for a while, but I am unable
to find any way to do it through any of the available GUIs.

How do I switch back to metacity?

My biggest culture shock is losing all of my desktop icons. The hack
described at
http://boubakr22.wordpress.com/2011/05/26/gnome-shell-show-icons-on-desktop/
is only a partial solution, as I still have to choose "Places → Desktop" to
get my icons to go on the desktop after logging in.

P.S.

I'm not talking about "fallback mode". I'd like to get something similar to
my previous F14 desktop back, with a weather applet, CPU temperature applet,
and shortcut icons on the desktop coming up automatically when I login.