Old 05-28-2011, 09:30 AM
"Kevin H. Hobbs"

Default KDE Laggy in Fresh F15

I just did a fresh install of Fedora 15 x86_64 with KDE.

KDE is mostly unusable in Fedora 15 while it was fine in Fedora
14 (with nvidia driver).

The display seems to freeze for a few seconds every few seconds.

Menus take seconds to open.

Windows leave garbage on the display when they are moved or re-sized.

New windows are often filled with garbage before they are drawn
all the way.

KDE automatically disables the desktop effects.

I installed and switched to fluxbox and everything is snappy.

Without all of the KDE decoration firefox went from unusable to
normal under fluxbox.

I have not installed any software not in Fedora's repository (no
nvidia drivers).

System details that might be usefull:

lenovo S10
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
4 GB of DDR3 1067 MHz RAM
nVidia Corporation G86 [Quadro NVS 290]
nouveau driver is loaded and in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Screen spans two 1600x1200 CRTs

Old 05-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Clemens Eisserer

> I have not installed any software not in Fedora's repository (no
> nvidia drivers).
Yeah, I guess you are hitting nouveau bugs here.
So why don't you simply install the nvidia drivers?

Do the problems also happen with desktop effects disabled?

- Clemens

Old 05-28-2011, 03:28 PM
"Kevin H. Hobbs"

> From: Clemens Eisserer<linuxhippy@gmail.com>
>
>> > I have not installed any software not in Fedora's repository (no
>> > nvidia drivers).
> Yeah, I guess you are hitting nouveau bugs here.
> So why don't you simply install the nvidia drivers?
>
> Do the problems also happen with desktop effects disabled?
>
> - Clemens

I'd like to at least try to isolate the bugs and report them first.

If everybody immediately switches to the proprietary drivers then
the nouveau drivers and/or KDE will never improve.

I'll eventually try the nvidia drivers so I can be sure it's a
KDE/nouveau issue but first if anybody can say try this mesa
patch, strace this or gdb that I'll do it.

KDE automatically disables desktop effects. I can not disable
them because I can not enable them... Well I could also disable
the "performance checks" but I don't want KDE any slower.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:48 AM
Mark Eggers

On Sat, 28 May 2011 05:30:10 -0400, Kevin H. Hobbs wrote:

> I just did a fresh install of Fedora 15 x86_64 with KDE.
>
> KDE is mostly unusable in Fedora 15 while it was fine in Fedora 14 (with
> nvidia driver).
>
> The display seems to freeze for a few seconds every few seconds.
>
> Menus take seconds to open.
>
> Windows leave garbage on the display when they are moved or re-sized.
>
> New windows are often filled with garbage before they are drawn all the
> way.
>
> KDE automatically disables the desktop effects.
>
> I installed and switched to fluxbox and everything is snappy.
>
> Without all of the KDE decoration firefox went from unusable to normal
> under fluxbox.
>
> I have not installed any software not in Fedora's repository (no nvidia
> drivers).
>
> System details that might be usefull:
>
> lenovo S10
> Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 4 GB of DDR3 1067 MHz
> RAM
> nVidia Corporation G86 [Quadro NVS 290] nouveau driver is loaded and in
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf Screen spans two 1600x1200 CRTs

KDE runs fine on my system. This was upgraded from Fedora 14 to Fedora 15.

CPU: 2.60 GHz P4
Memory: 1.50 GB RDR ram
Disk: 120 GB IDE drive
Screen: 1640x1080 Samsung SyncMaster LCD / DMI
Video: 512 MB 7600 GS AGPx2 (overclocked)
Driver: 275.09 (beta from NVidia)

Back when Cairo went from 1.09 to 1.10, there was a huge problem with
themes that used gradients. Fedora by default uses gradients in their
themes. There were three solutions:

a) Downgrade Cairo
b) Patch Cairo
c) Don't run themes with gradients

Cairo was released with a "buggy gradients" patch, with the caveat that
it would NOT be carried over to Fedora 15. This fixed the performance
problems in Fedora 14, but now we're running Fedora 15.

You can really see the difference if you have run GtKPerf on Fedora 14,
then run it on Fedora 15. The text input is three times slower on Fedora
15.

After trolling the NVidia forums, I found a solution that works for me.

a) Run a 270 or greater driver (required for xserver 1.10)
b) create a file called nvidia in /etc/modprobe.d
c) add the following:

options nvidia AccelerateTrapezoids=0

d) ln -s /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf nvidia (so boot doesn't complain)
e) reboot

After doing this, GTKPerf performed slightly better than it did on Fedora
14.

See if this helps you out.

. . . just my two cents.

/mde/

Old 06-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Mark Eggers

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 04:48:29 +0000, Mark Eggers wrote:

-- embarrassed snip --

> options nvidia AccelerateTrapezoids=0
>
> d) ln -s /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf nvidia (so boot doesn't complain)
> e) reboot

Do not do this with 275.09. This will cause the boot to hang with an
unknown parameter warning from nvidia / LSB.

I apparently had forgotten to check the file back out of version control
before rebooting last time.

I recovered by doing Alt-Ctrl-F3, getting to a console, removing the
parameter, and rebooting.

I apologize.

/mde/

Old 06-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Rex Dieter

Kevin H. Hobbs wrote:

> I just did a fresh install of Fedora 15 x86_64 with KDE.
>
> KDE is mostly unusable in Fedora 15 while it was fine in Fedora
> 14 (with nvidia driver).
>
> The display seems to freeze for a few seconds every few seconds.

nvidia's driver is historically optimized primarily for opengl, 2d/xrender
not so much. The latter, is used extensively in kde's default oxygen
style/theming. you could try switching away from oxygen widget theme, see
if that helps any,
systemsettings->application appearance->style
and choose some widget style other than Oxygen, say Plastique

another stab would be to switch to some plasma theme that uses less or no
translucency,
systemsettings->workspace appearance->Desktop Theme
and choose something other than "Air" or "Oxygen"

-- Rex

Old 06-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Ed Greshko

On 06/06/2011 10:12 PM, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Kevin H. Hobbs wrote:
>
>> I just did a fresh install of Fedora 15 x86_64 with KDE.
>>
>> KDE is mostly unusable in Fedora 15 while it was fine in Fedora
>> 14 (with nvidia driver).
>>
>> The display seems to freeze for a few seconds every few seconds.
> nvidia's driver is historically optimized primarily for opengl, 2d/xrender
> not so much. The latter, is used extensively in kde's default oxygen
> style/theming. you could try switching away from oxygen widget theme, see
> if that helps any,
> systemsettings->application appearance->style
> and choose some widget style other than Oxygen, say Plastique
>
> another stab would be to switch to some plasma theme that uses less or no
> translucency,
> systemsettings->workspace appearance->Desktop Theme
> and choose something other than "Air" or "Oxygen"

FWIW, I have a GeForce GT 230 and I'm running the 270.41.19 driver
package that I installed myself. Meaning, I didn't use rpmfusion or
another repository. I am using the Oxygen Style as well as the Oxygen
Theme and I've no performance issues whatsoever.

Ed