-   -   dovecot IMAP server doesn't work after Fedora 14 reinstall (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/531762-dovecot-imap-server-doesnt-work-after-fedora-14-reinstall.html)

"M. Fioretti" 05-28-2011 05:19 AM

dovecot IMAP server doesn't work after Fedora 14 reinstall

Greetings,

I have a computer on which I ran Fedora 14 x86_64 and dovecot to keep a
local imap copy of all my email, in maildir format. One week ago the hard
disk broke, so I bought a new one, reinstalled Fedora 14 x86_64 with all
the updates and copied all my maildirs back to the disk from backups.

I had ran yum update just a few days before the crash, so the dovecot
version and package is the same or almost the same. Since the reinstall,
however, I've been unable use dovecot to access those maildirs. All the
details and error messages are in this post I immediately sent to the
dovecot mailing list, so I won't repeat them here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/dovecot@dovecot.org/msg38562.html

since I've got no help yet there, and since there may be some reason (see
next phrase) external to dovecot, I'm trying here. As far as I can tell,
the only difference between this and the previous install _may_ be the
file system. This time I let the installer go with ext4. I honestly don't
remember what kind of file system was being used on the crashed disk, but
it may have been ext3.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!!

TIA,
Marco
--
Digital Citizens Basics online course:
http://mfioretti.com/node/129

Gianluca Sforna 05-28-2011 08:33 AM

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 7:19 AM, M. Fioretti <mfioretti@nexaima.net> wrote:
> I have a computer on which I ran Fedora 14 x86_64 and dovecot to keep a
> local imap copy of all my email, in maildir format. One week ago the hard
> disk broke, so I bought a new one, reinstalled Fedora 14 x86_64 with all
> the updates and copied all my maildirs back to the disk from backups.

Every time I reinstall and restore the home from a backup I run a
"restorecon -R /home" to avoid selinux issues.

Did you check logs for denials?

--
Gianluca Sforna

http://morefedora.blogspot.com
http://identi.ca/giallu - http://twitter.com/giallu

"M. Fioretti" 05-28-2011 08:59 AM

On Sat, May 28, 2011 10:33 am, Gianluca Sforna wrote:

> Every time I reinstall and restore the home from a backup I run a
> "restorecon -R /home" to avoid selinux issues.
> Did you check logs for denials?

ARGH!!!

The disk broke right 2 days before a deadline, so sunday and monday my
brain wasn't really lucid. When I restored the mailboxes, I had completely
forgotten about Selinux. So I saw I couldn't read them, sent the help
request to the dovecot list and then had to forget the whole issue to
finish restoring everything else and the work I was supposed to finish on
monday.

That's the only excuse I have for not thinking myself to this. I checked
the maillog, not the selinux log.

Yes, it was Selinux. With Selinux disabled that problem disappears. Now I
only have problems like this:

May 28 10:47:19 polaris dovecot: imap(marco): Error:
rename(/home/z/email/marco/.2009.12/dovecot.index.tmp,
/home/z/email/marco/.2009.12/dovecot.index) failed: Operation not
permitted

so I still have to debug this, but now it is more likely a dovecot-only
problem

THANKS!
Marco